Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-06-2019, 10:32 AM   #1
ca1219
Four Point

Default Diabetics

Last week, I went in to have labs and a physical done and was informed Monday that I am diabetic. I am fairly young (38), have a few extra pounds but not obese (5'10 190lbs), exercise fairly regular (walk/jog 6-8 miles a week) and eat fairly decent. What kind of lifestyle changes do I have to look forward to and any advice on steps to take from anyone who is in a similar situation would be appreciated.
ca1219 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2019, 10:33 AM   #2
Dukota01
Four Point

Should I assume they are telling you that you are a type 2 diabetic!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Dukota01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2019, 10:34 AM   #3
ca1219
Four Point

Yes, type 2.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:39 AM   #4
the marshall
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tex-ok-la

what was your Blood sugar and A1C?
the marshall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2019, 10:41 AM   #5
ca1219
Four Point

A1C was 9.2 and Blood Sugar after fasting was a 243
Old 12-06-2019, 10:41 AM   #6
Dukota01
Four Point

I am type 1, have been for 36 years now so not quite the same. You will probably be put on oral meds but as far as lifestyle changes, of course stay away from simple sugars...candy, cakes, sugary drinks, pastas, most Mexican food. Youíll want to adopt a low carb diet. Get used to looking at every label and look at the carb content and try not to consume more than 25 grams of carbs at any meal which would equal a half cup portion of potatoes or rice. High protein with lots of veggies. A Palio diet is the perfect diet to be on for a diabetic.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:43 AM   #7
Dukota01
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1219 View Post
A1C was 9.2 and Blood Sugar after fasting was a 243

Yeah, 9.2 is pretty bad. One thought is put a type 2 on insulin right away and treat aggressively to eliminate the risk of damage that can and will occur from running high numbers.

Old 12-06-2019, 10:45 AM   #8
ca1219
Four Point

I was prescribed Metformin and currently taking 1 500mg pill a day for the first week and then upping amount until eventually 2 500mg twice a day. I have a follow up next week and then Doctor wants me to do some educational classes. So far since starting the meds, my blood sugar has been between 223 and 271 in the mornings.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:49 AM   #9
Dukota01
Four Point

Quote:
I was prescribed Metformin and currently taking 1 500mg pill a day for the first week and then upping amount until eventually 2 500mg twice a day. I have a follow up next week and then Doctor wants me to do some educational classes. So far since starting the meds, my blood sugar has been between 223 and 271 in the mornings.

If I was you my first step would be cutting out carbs completely righ away. The carbs are what causes your blood sugars to go up. I can run perfect numbers 80-120 if I cut carbs but you really need to watch what you eat/drink...they are in EVERYTHING. Youíd think something as simple as pistachios would be carb free but even they have carbs.

Old 12-06-2019, 11:08 AM   #10
Louis
Ten Point

I'm type 2 and been on mess for several years. I take met for metformin. Give me a call at 832 725 5768 if u want and I can tell u what I've gone thru. Lost weight took take my med and watch my sugar intake and my A1c was 5.8 at my last checkup. If u call and I don't answer leave a message with ur number and I will return ur call.
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #11
ca1219
Four Point

I don't feel that it will be a hard adjustment. I drink water 75% of the time already, a coke here and there then tea. Two of my favorite foods are Italian and Pasta, that will be a change. So far this week since finding out, it has been Salmon brown rice and sauteed peppers for one meal. Grilled chicken and steamed broccoli for another. Then a spinach salad with grilled chicken.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:10 AM   #12
ca1219
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis View Post
I'm type 2 and been on mess for several years. I take met for metformin. Give me a call at 832 725 5768 if u want and I can tell u what I've gone thru. Lost weight took take my med and watch my sugar intake and my A1c was 5.8 at my last checkup. If u call and I don't answer leave a message with ur number and I will return ur call.
Sounds good, I appreciate it and will probably reach out this weekend.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:12 AM   #13
the marshall
Eight Point

Hunt In: Tex-ok-la

Quote:
That still way too high for morning test and being on meds. Do not eat any sugar or anything that has sugar and cut way back on carbs.

I was at the same initial levels as you and take the same meds as you and I test less that 110 in the morning. You can do it. Good Luck
the marshall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2019, 11:16 AM   #14
big_smith
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brady, Rocksprings, New Mexico

Just a word of caution-there are side effects of metformin. It can cause some pretty dramatic mood swings. Be aware.
big_smith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2019, 11:17 AM   #15
ca1219
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by the marshall View Post
That still way too high for morning test and being on meds. Do not eat any sugar or anything that has sugar and cut way back on carbs.

I was at the same initial levels as you and take the same meds as you and I test less that 110 in the morning. You can do it. Good Luck
Thanks. Yes the numbers are way to high, I have only been taking the meds a couple days so hoping to see changes soon.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:17 AM   #16
Dukota01
Four Point

Quote:
I don't feel that it will be a hard adjustment. I drink water 75% of the time already, a coke here and there then tea. Two of my favorite foods are Italian and Pasta, that will be a change. So far this week since finding out, it has been Salmon brown rice and sauteed peppers for one meal. Grilled chicken and steamed broccoli for another. Then a spinach salad with grilled chicken.

Those are good choices, that rice will get ya though. Make sure your tea isnít sweet tea, use artificial sweeteners. Protein and veggies are the way to go. The change from Italian/pasta is going to be tough. There is really no diabetic friendly Italian/pasta way to go, you just have to cut it out nearly completely. Watch your snacking, most all snacks are high carb, even something as simple as having popcorn at a movie.

Old 12-06-2019, 11:22 AM   #17
ca1219
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukota01 View Post
Those are good choices, that rice will get ya though. Make sure your tea isnít sweet tea, use artificial sweeteners. Protein and veggies are the way to go. The change from Italian/pasta is going to be tough. There is really no diabetic friendly Italian/pasta way to go, you just have to cut it out nearly completely. Watch your snacking, most all snacks are high carb, even something as simple as having popcorn at a movie.

Yes, I plan to adjust my snacking to certain fruits, celery and peanut butter and things like that.
Old 12-06-2019, 11:27 AM   #18
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

You will have it kicked in no time if you keep eating your new way. But it will take a lifestyle change as to have numbers that high at your age/weight, your diet must have been pretty bad
gingib is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2019, 11:29 AM   #19
No-Tox
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

Quote:
Last week, I went in to have labs and a physical done and was informed Monday that I am diabetic. I am fairly young (38), have a few extra pounds but not obese (5'10 190lbs), exercise fairly regular (walk/jog 6-8 miles a week) and eat fairly decent. What kind of lifestyle changes do I have to look forward to and any advice on steps to take from anyone who is in a similar situation would be appreciated.
You want to beat diabetes, I have a program I'm on that got me away from going there and my health coach has gotten people back to normal levels with just a different nutrition plan. Let me know if you want some info.
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2019, 11:35 AM   #20
Louis
Ten Point

Call any time. You've gotten some good info on here. Can call anytime. Be glad to talk to you and let u know what I've been through and what helps me. Eat lots of vegetables and watch ur sugar intake and take your med like doc says. Not as bad as it might seem. Getting it under control is biggest step. Givery me a call anytime. You can do this. It's really not that hard
Louis is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2019, 11:38 AM   #21
mharris1
Ten Point

Hunt In: leaseless and looking

Quote:
Thanks. Yes the numbers are way to high, I have only been taking the meds a couple days so hoping to see changes soon.
I was in the same situation a year ago. I cut out most of my carb intake and started metformin. It took about a month, but I went from a 10 a1c and blood sugars in the 300s to a 5.5 and 80-140 blood sugars.
mharris1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2019, 12:17 PM   #22
Terry
Ten Point

Diet, metformin and exercise.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2019, 12:17 PM   #23
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

It'll take a couple weeks for metformin to bring your sugar down. I was diagnosed two years ago at 31. I'm overweight, drink beer everyday and eat what I want. I'm I'm on 2000mg of metformin per day and I usually run around 150-200. Last a1c was 6.9. when I was first diagnosed it was over 12. I need to kick my habit's and eat better but it's just so hard lol
twistedmidnite is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2019, 01:18 PM   #24
LemmeOut
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I am invited

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_smith View Post
Just a word of caution-there are side effects of metformin. It can cause some pretty dramatic mood swings. Be aware.
As well as gastrointestinal issues as your dose increases.
LemmeOut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2019, 01:36 PM   #25
No-Tox
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ellis County

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedmidnite View Post
It'll take a couple weeks for metformin to bring your sugar down. I was diagnosed two years ago at 31. I'm overweight, drink beer everyday and eat what I want. I'm I'm on 2000mg of metformin per day and I usually run around 150-200. Last a1c was 6.9. when I was first diagnosed it was over 12. I need to kick my habit's and eat better but it's just so hard lol
It is hard to change those habits but it can be done....but you have to be the one to decide that health is more important than the false satisfaction of a #2 Whatameal.
Believe me, I know. When I couldn't do a zipline last summer with my don os when I knew I needed to make a change. 80 lbs lighter and feeling great. And it's just not the weight loss but getting back my life of not being sluggish in the afternoon or winded when working on my hunting land.
Let me know if you want to change those habits.
No-Tox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2019, 02:27 PM   #26
125Dad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke Co.

Quote:
Yes, I plan to adjust my snacking to certain fruits, celery and peanut butter and things like that.
Watch the fruits some of them is not a good thing.

They make a low-carb pasta it sucks bad and will help you get over the craving for pasta. lol

You should also consider seeing a endocrinologist.

Last piece of advice is watch your portions of food. My endo and educator both tells me eat what i want just count my carbs and take my insulin accordingly.

Be sure and read about the low blood sugar signs and symptoms and always be prepared for them. very scary

Good luck don't give up
125Dad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2019, 02:43 PM   #27
ca1219
Four Point

Thank you to everyone responding and the encouragement, I will definitely reach out to the ones that have offered advice and such.
Old 12-06-2019, 03:07 PM   #28
RTM
Four Point

Hunt In: Colmesneil Tx.

I have been diabetic for the last 17 years started after my liver transplant they told me it could happen. It is just something you learn to live with, you make adjustments in your lifestyle.
My biggest weakness is blue bell ice cream just can't seem to give it up. Like someone else
Said portion control is the key just because it's there in front of you it doesn't mean you have to
eat it. Good luck it's not that bad just takes a little work.
RTM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2019, 03:17 PM   #29
Todd P
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

PM Sent..
Todd P is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2019, 03:59 PM   #30
splitfinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Behind the House

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I too am Type 2 Diabetic and tried Metformin but had sever side affects from it. Went to Glypicide as an alternative but occasionally have blood sugar drops, which are just as bad (I go from 120-55 in minutes). Since then, I have started taking Blood Sugar Support for an OTC alternative and maintain a blood sugar of 115-125 daily. You can purchase Blood Sugar Support from Amazon for about $19.00 for 120 capsules. I take one every morning and one just before bed with the Glypicide and my blood sugar runs about 6.4 for my A1C every quarter.

Good luck. 'Doug Key
splitfinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2019, 04:18 PM   #31
BowPro73
Eight Point

I tried the low carb, high fat diet along with metformin. I wanted to get off of metformin and I just followed the "Mastering Diabetes" guideline for the most part. I eat tons of fruit daily, brown rice and beans, sweet potatoes, and vegetables. I'll usually throw in the meat food twice a week. Breakfast is usually a bowl of steel cut oatmeal with chopped bananas and blueberries and ground cinnamon. I don't take metformin any more. On the low carb diet, my morning readings were usually 180's and up before even eating. Now it's usually 80's or 90's. You just have to dive into it and go at it this plan. Your blood sugar will go up at first, but you'll be amazed at the results once it cycles in. More energy for one, and much steadier low glucose readings. Here's the link.. and there's a video on the page along with reading info, recipes, and so on. I eat tons of fruit (carbs) daily.
https://www.masteringdiabetes.org/re...-presentation/
BowPro73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2019, 08:34 PM   #32
Russ79
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches county, San Augustine county, Beaufort county NC

There are plenty of us on here to lean on. I was diagnosed probably a little over 10 years ago. The hardest thing for me was giving up Dr. Pepper's. For a while it will take you a while to learn how to grocery shop because you have to read every label. I am certainly not the poster child for eating correctly, but moderation is your friend. If you completely cut out the things that are bad for your diabetes you come to want them more. I was originally put on Glimepiride (sp), Metformin (1000 mg twice a day), and Januvia (100 mg once a day). A few years later my internist put me on Lantus Solostar injections (worked my way up to 80 units per day) and took me off the Glimepiride. About two years ago my internist put me on Invokana to try to help lower my A1c, which it has but it does make you have to pee more. A few months ago, my internist and me talked about my meds and she asked me if I was open to trying something else. She got excited when I said I was open to anything and she put me on Ozympic- I am sure you have seen the commercials on tv. She explained that almost all her patients she has put on it have responded well and most have lost weight. It is also more organ friendly. I have been on it for about two months and it has helped stabilize my fasting blood sugar to around 110 every morning and I have actually lost about 14 pounds so far. I have also quit taking the Januvia (doctor suggested this once my blood sugar stabilized) and have also reduce my Lantus to 50 units per day. My next A1c test will be interesting. It took me a while to find a soda that I could stand- Diet Coke and Diet Mt. Dew have become my go to sodas. I drink lots of tea and we switched to Splenda as a sweetener at home, mainly because it is basically a 1:1 replacement for regular sugar when cooking. Good luck to you and PM if you have any questions.
Russ79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2019, 08:45 PM   #33
ecallarman
Ten Point

Since October 1st, I have learned more about T1D than I ever wanted to.....

My 12 year old son was diagnosed with T1D and we got to spend 4 days in Texas Children's. That place is a special place with very good health care professionals. We received a 1st class education on DIabetes while there and even had to take a test.
ecallarman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2019, 08:46 PM   #34
Tomkat70
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason ,Brady,Menard

Metformin is not meant for long term use !!!! Cut out starches as well.
Tomkat70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2019, 09:47 PM   #35
TwoHighways
Four Point

Ketogenic diet. You need to increase you insulin sensitivity and what better way to do that than to drive your insulin levels to the floor. None of the internet bro ketogenic diet either. Check out content from Dr. Jason Fung.
TwoHighways is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2019, 10:18 PM   #36
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

Do as I say and not what I do! JK. It will really affect you in your later years if you don't get it under control. No sugar, pasta, and control your carbs.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2019, 10:28 PM   #37
brushtrooper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa County

I was type 2 for several years, I would do my best to cut carbs and sugars and start losing weight asap. Go with vegetables and fruits for your sweet cravings. The meds will make you thirsty most of the day and you will have to take a leak several times a day. This really sucks when on long trips. You will most likely start having neuropathy in your feet and start affecting your vision. I did the whole meds etc trying to control my type 2. You will eventually start feeling pain in your feet, this is neuropathy starting. You will also experience numbness at times in your feet. You will have to be careful and watch for infections, you will need to inspect your feet for problems pretty much on a daily basis when neuropathy starts. All it takes is one bad infection and you could lose that limb. My insurance kept changing my meds and made it difficult to keep my sugars A1C in check. I eventually had a gastric bypass done. I lost over 150lbs, I am no longer a diabetic, no more high blood pressure. My nerve damage in my feet will never go away, but it will not progress anymore as long as I keep my weight and diet in check. There are days my feet feel like they were "asleep",..like 100's of needles in your feet. Then days where I have no pain, just a numbness feeling. Some days I could walk barefoot on pavement in July and never feel it. I approached type 2 as joke, I thought the Dr's were full of it. I would really take it serious and lose weight as fast as possible. Check with your Dr to find out who puts seminars on how to read labels on food so you can try to keep everything in check. Type 2 is not a fun ride by any means, its serious stuff. I really wished I had taken it more serious in the beginning stages of being diagnosed.

Last edited by brushtrooper; 12-06-2019 at 10:33 PM.
brushtrooper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2019, 10:44 PM   #38
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

I had watched my wife and a couple of friends dealing with metformin, so when the doc tried to prescribe it to me I said no. We talked about why and he put me on glyburide. After a year, I had gotten my weight down and was exercising, and diabetes wasn't an issue anymore, neither was cholesterol, in fact my sugar levels were getting too low, and I had to keep up with it to keep from crashing, low sugar is bad news. Finally got off any sugar meds completely. with the cancer, and being a lot more sedentary, sugar is a problem again. I now take a weekly injection of Bidureon, and it keeps my sugar levels in check, and I almost eat what I want. With one of the immunotherapy drugs I take, they don't want sugar to get out of whack, but I cant remember whether it is the cabometyx, or the Opdivo.
The biggest help early on was diet change and exercise. I started riding trails on a mountain bike.

To add, my sugar originally was in the 170 to 200 range. It now stays mostly between 80 and 140, and I am happy with that.
You can get a handle on it, do it while you are young, its way harder to do when you get older.
double bogey is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2019, 08:46 AM   #39
125Dad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke Co.

I did the metformin for a couple years it was the worst thing ever.

I've been to about every endocrinoglist in DFW for them to run test and give there opium and they are all amazed that not only does my body not make insulin it don't except it very good. I took 7 shots a day for years and years until I got on a insulin pump.
125Dad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2019, 08:15 PM   #40
awry
Eight Point

If one can do it, can fasting bring down the numbers relatively quickly?
awry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2019, 08:25 PM   #41
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

Quote:
Originally Posted by awry View Post
Low numbers are worse than high numbers. Extremely low will kill you. My wife has been a diabetic for 25 years are so. She eats about 6 times a day and checks blood sugar every few hours.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2019, 08:36 PM   #42
awry
Eight Point

Was meaning bringing the numbers in normal range
awry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2019, 09:18 PM   #43
Paycheck
Ten Point

I keep the glucose tablets with me all the time. My Diabetes is not real bad but when my numbers get under 80 I don't feel right and eat a little. I would hate for that to happen in the woods and not have anything.
Paycheck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2019, 09:19 PM   #44
Dukota01
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paycheck View Post
I keep the glucose tablets with me all the time. My Diabetes is not real bad but when my numbers get under 80 I don't feel right and eat a little. I would hate for that to happen in the woods and not have anything.

Mine hit 35 a few nights ago, lowest Iíve ever had in 36 years.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:06 PM   #45
tex4k
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

Check into the keto diet to control typeII, and before anyone loses their mind (including your dr) there's a difference between keto-acidosis and ketosis! Your a grown up, fully capable of making up your own mind, just wanted to put it out there for you check out before you crawl into that dead end maze of chemically controlling your disease.
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2019, 10:20 PM   #46
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

Does anyone drink Coke Zero? It supposedly has no sugars. The only thing I see on the label that is not good is 440 gr sodium.
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2019, 10:31 PM   #47
Burnadell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bee County

I was diagnosed last summer with Type 2 and a 7.2 A1c; had been borderline for several years with 6.4-6.5 A1c. Doc put me on Metformin. I cut carbs almost out, cut stuff with sugar, reduced alcohol intake, ate lots of fruit, nuts, and salads and cut my intake volume down. I lost 25 lbs in a few months, then hit a floor, so I need to start burning calories to take my weight down to the next level.

What are the problems you guys have had with Metformin?
Burnadell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2019, 10:52 PM   #48
AndyTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowPro73 View Post
I tried the low carb, high fat diet along with metformin. I wanted to get off of metformin and I just followed the "Mastering Diabetes" guideline for the most part. I eat tons of fruit daily, brown rice and beans, sweet potatoes, and vegetables. I'll usually throw in the meat food twice a week. Breakfast is usually a bowl of steel cut oatmeal with chopped bananas and blueberries and ground cinnamon. I don't take metformin any more. On the low carb diet, my morning readings were usually 180's and up before even eating. Now it's usually 80's or 90's. You just have to dive into it and go at it this plan. Your blood sugar will go up at first, but you'll be amazed at the results once it cycles in. More energy for one, and much steadier low glucose readings. Here's the link.. and there's a video on the page along with reading info, recipes, and so on. I eat tons of fruit (carbs) daily.
https://www.masteringdiabetes.org/re...-presentation/
Pretty much what I do also. People freak out when I tell them I eat lots of carbs and now have normal readings. One of the many books I read: The Starch Solution.

Last edited by AndyTX; 12-07-2019 at 11:04 PM.
AndyTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2019, 10:53 PM   #49
tex4k
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Reagan, Upton, Crockett, and Uvalde counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnadell View Post
I was diagnosed last summer with Type 2 and a 7.2 A1c; had been borderline for several years with 6.4-6.5 A1c. Doc put me on Metformin. I cut carbs almost out, cut stuff with sugar, reduced alcohol intake, ate lots of fruit, nuts, and salads and cut my intake volume down. I lost 25 lbs in a few months, then hit a floor, so I need to start burning calories to take my weight down to the next level.

What are the problems you guys have had with Metformin?
Check into intermittent fasting by Dr. Daniel ????
tex4k is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2019, 10:56 PM   #50
AndyTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awry View Post
Yes it can. But be careful if you are on diabetic medication. You will most likely have to reduce your meds or it can bring them down too low which is dangerous.
AndyTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top