Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

? about amount of feed thrown by second

GS,
    I have always gone by the 1 sec 1 pound rule and I know that's is probably not right. Has anyone actually measured how much corn is thrown in say a 5 second throw or a 3 second throw? Assuming the spinner plate is adjusted properly and no coon involvement.

Thanks

It will depend on the gap space between the bottom of the funnel and the spinner plate. The larger the gap the more feed per second is thrown.

Comment

I would say a pound every 3 or 4 seconds, but that's just a guess. I can't imagine you're dumping a pound per second.

Comment

Easy to measure---get a 5-gal bucket and punch the feed start and hold the bucket against the bottom of the barrel. When spin stops, weigh the corn in the bucket.

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
          Easy to measure---get a 5-gal bucket and punch the feed start and hold the bucket against the bottom of the barrel. When spin stops, weigh the corn in the bucket.
          Why you wanna throw logic in here!!

But he's right...

Comment

Originally posted by lab man View Post
            It will depend on the gap space between the bottom of the funnel and the spinner plate. The larger the gap the more feed per second is thrown.
            This^^^^^. Every feeder is a little different. The best way to figure out for your own feeder is to figure out exactly how many pounds you fill the feeder with when it is empty, then count the number of times it feeds till it is empty, and then do the math.

Or do like dustoffer said above!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post

This....Its really the only way to tell for sure.

Too many variables to be exact. Gap width, 12V or 6V motor, motor speed of each (some 12s are stronger than each other), even the size of the funnel hole will change the amounts. I can say for sure that 1lb per second is too much for my feeders. I like my plate a finger's width from the funnel so that it throws longer and makes more racket throwing the same amount of feed as a lower plate. At 1 lb per second my pig feeder here locally would be empty in 23 days at 15 secs one time a day. It last more like 45-50 days.

Comment

Originally posted by lab man View Post
                x2 and all the other factors that Smart mentioned, plus more.

I always make sure the eliminator plate is butted up against the funnel when at rest; never measured the amount that is thrown per second though.

Comment

My Academy 225lb 6V feeder is 1/2 lb per second.

Comment

I understand the spinner plate thing that is why I said adjusted properly. Just trying to get an estimation. The 6VT vs 12VT comment is good and I didn't think about that.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by howabouttheiris View Post
                      My Academy 225lb 6V feeder is 1/2 lb per second.
                      Yep that is what I was thinking.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Raleigh View Post
                        I understand the spinner plate thing that is why I said adjusted properly. Just trying to get an estimation. The 6VT vs 12VT comment is good and I didn't think about that.

Thanks

I don't think there is a "proper" width per se.... It is a preference. It can be as close as a single kernel of corn's width or two fingers wide as long as the corn holds on the plate while not spinning. Plus like I said above, the funnel/hopper hole or hole in the bottom of the feeder is not standard. That's going to affect it as much as plate depth.

Comment

And some spinners are bird proof....ie all the way up against the plate spring loaded type. Way too many variables

Comment

Moultrie timers tell you how much you have thrown and how much you have left in barrel . If you set how much you put in it to begin with.

Comment

My feeder holds 400lb runs 12 weeks before empty. I have the timer set 5 second feed times twice per day. 168 spins about 2.34lbs per spin. Eliminator plate. Give or take

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X