Turkey hunting a real sport?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkey hunting a real sport?

I’ve been telling folk all my life how stupid a turkey is, I don’t hunt them since I’m a barefoot kid from Bama where I shot them on the roost 45 years ago. It never were hard and I see tons of Turkey in every state I hunt.

Enjoy

Those turkeys are looking for love and do stupid things....just like deer.....and just like when a backyard full of Alabama dudes have one of their hot cousins come over.

Comment

Only first cousins.

Turkeys do stupid things from the time they hatch, been dumbfounded by the since I ever set foot outside in every time of the year.

Weird thing is when I’m in a tree and they spot me they get gone, when I’m on the ground they walk right by me looking at me but could care less.

Last edited by Johnny44; 04-11-2019, 06:42 PM.

Comment

It's situational. Not really different than saying deer hunting with high fences, blinds, and feeders isn't difficult.

Turkey hunting in places where there have been and are almost as many turkey hunters as deer hunters and it's a new game. Such places where you cannot shoot them out of the roost and cannot shoot after Noon. No feeders either. Only a 2 week season. Much different.
        Last edited by tigerscowboy; 04-11-2019, 07:12 PM.

Comment

I think they’re stupid too. I’ve hunted them a couple times and didn’t get a rise out of it.

Comment

Its not really situational for me as I have the same “luck” in some of the most remote place in the United States.

I quit hunting them because a wood duck and robin was harder to kill and less trouble.

Too simple a creature to kill, I guess it could be the origin of “vegetarian” for those who cannot kill a sack full. I will admit they’ll test your heart strength once in a while though when you meet out of nowhere.

Last edited by Johnny44; 04-11-2019, 06:50 PM.

Comment

I like the setup, the calling, the hangups, the pulling them in on the string....controlling nature with a call much like duck or goose hunting. I like the way they rush the decoys if it gets them going and them strutting, beating the snot out of said dekes when they arrive and try to show dominance over each other in the process. I love the drumming and spitting rush when one comes in quiet and then fires up right behind you when you can't see them. I like the trying to find the right cadence or call to get them in close when they do hang up at 60-80 yards...or trying to pulling them off a group of hens. I like them being able to see you blink and it possible being a problem for you.. I like hunting them only in the spring with a bow or shotgun . Shooting them during deer season on a feeder withe a rifle does nothing for me.

The hunt is what you make of it though. Deer hunting and pig hunting can be the same ....only its their noses and a turkey's eyes. My dad use to say turkey are the dumbest smartest bird alive. Dumb when you aren't hunting them....smart when you need them to be dumb. Like a 6th sense. Ironically, opposite of the OP, my experience is turkeys don't pay me attention when I'm up and don't move but on the ground, and they see me, it's "putt putt"... and they are gone quick like little mini raptors..

Comment

The only time they seem to spook is when I’m trying to hide. Otherwise, they don’t seem to pay me no mind. Sometimes they putt-putt constantly, sometimes they never make a sound. Thing is anywhere across the country they seem to frequent the same type spots, never need to “hunt” for them.

Got a friend that hunts them with a mouth call and police siren. He hits the button on the siren, they gobble, then he moves toward the location.

The best thing about wild turkey to me is that big buck or boar hog that is hanging somewhere close by.

Heres to Turkey

Last edited by Johnny44; 04-11-2019, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Try drawing a bow on one a few times and tell me it is easy. I chase them on the ground with a stick bow. Have called in plenty and been lucky enough to shoot 2. I think I was busted about 20 times before my first.

I agree easy to kill when siting on a daily food source and during the Fall. Also try pulling one when they are henned up. Getting one to cross a creek or hang-up. Only thing I like more is elk hunting when they are vocal.

Comment

Whether or not it's a sport, or if a person thinks it's sporting, it's a bunch of fun. I'm mainly hunting them with a camera at this point. Even more fun for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                      The only time they seem to spook is when I’m trying to hide. Otherwise, they don’t seem to pay me no mind. Sometimes they putt-putt constantly, sometimes they never make a sound. Thing is anywhere across the country they seem to frequent the same type spots, never need to “hunt” for them.

Got a friend that hunts them with a mouth call and police siren. He hits the button on the siren, they gobble, then he moves toward the location.

The best thing about wild turkey to me is that big buck or boar hog that is hanging somewhere close by.

Heres to Turkey

[IMG]http://whiskeyreviewer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Wild-Turkey-101-Rye.jpg[/IG]
                      Taking their last breath is easy, gaining access to the locked gates they hide behind is the hard part.....

Comment

I ain’t knocking the fun if thats your thang, I just thought the video best illustrated how dumb either Turkey are or the traditional methods of hunting. Its when you get all camouflaged up and try to sit too still that seems to be the most unproductive way to harvest a turkey from my experience.

Glen, I’ve killed turkey every which way.

Comment

Masters, I concur that many a good folk don’t live and die as free peoples anymore.

Comment

I bet those weren’t easterns!

I’ve seen them and killed them acting dumb a time or two, but that’s not the norm.

Comment

No, not a sport.

Real hunters feed deer constantly, monitor them constantly with electronics and name them before killing them.

I dont think real hunters think too much of hunting rios.

Comment

Working...
                              X