No announcement yet.

Which Rifle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just sold a TC venture 30-06 that would group less than 3/4” with basically no work... and when I shoot groups there is no slowing down. As soon as I am ready to fire another round, it’s gone.

Comment

I’ll sell you this one for $800.

Comment

I had a Rem 700 SPS Varmint 308 that could do it easily.
        I’ve had probably 4-5 308’s since and I settled with a Tikka T3 Lite stainless 308 in a Bell and Carlson aluminum bedded stock that can shoot like that when I do my part.

My vote would be for the T3X.

Comment

Which Rifle?

Originally posted by lglidewell View Post
          I had a Rem 700 SPS Varmint 308 that could do it easily.
          I’ve had probably 4-5 308’s since and I settled with a Tikka T3 Lite stainless 308 in a Bell and Carlson aluminum bedded stock that can shoot like that when I do my part.

My vote would be for the T3X.

That SPS Varmint is a great rifle. Picked up a 22/250 for under $300 when dicks was giving them away with a Remington rebate. It would do what the op asks.

Not sure on the whole box but that’s a different request.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Black Ice; 06-24-2019, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by droptine8850 View Post
            My Rem 700 5r Milspec 308 does that easily and most factory ammo around 1/2"
            I don't know about accuracy with the newer Remington 700s, I have not shot one. But I had a older BDL Varminter, in 308, from the 70s, then a 22-250 BDL Varminter from the early 90s. Both would shoot .100" groups at 100 yards, but that was with my hand loads. The 308 had a bedding job and a Timney trigger, that was all. The 22-250, I just adjusted the stock trigger, no bedding. I worked up hand loads for both. The older Remington 700s are very hard to be for out of the box accuracy.

Comment

Which Rifle?

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
              I don't know about accuracy with the newer Remington 700s, I have not shot one. But I had a older BDL Varminter, in 308, from the 70s, then a 22-250 BDL Varminter from the early 90s. Both would shoot .100" groups at 100 yards, but that was with my hand loads. The 308 had a bedding job and a Timney trigger, that was all. The 22-250, I just adjusted the stock trigger, no bedding. I worked up hand loads for both. The older Remington 700s are very hard to be for out of the box accuracy.

My newest one last 5 years has been the worst. It’s a stainless CDL fluted in .257.

At $50 to $100 a box it can expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by Terran28 View Post
                Any shooter will tell you that is not possible. You are over-heating the barrel. You will NOT be able to maintain sub-MOA groups with that much of a string. You have to let the barrel cool.

I wasn’t talking about 20rds all at one time

Comment

Savage

Comment

If an animal will stand still long enough for you to shoot 20 rounds, you shouldn't need but one!

Comment

I've got a LAW that I bought used in .308 that shoots lights out! It was within your budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Terran28 View Post
                        Any shooter will tell you that is not possible. You are over-heating the barrel. You will NOT be able to maintain sub-MOA groups with that much of a string. You have to let the barrel cool.
                        Are you kidding? F-Class matches are shot in 20 round strings with sighters before record.

I have seen Savage factory rifles on the line, and perform well at 600. I have never seen a winning string from a factory rifle at 1k, but I am sure it has been done.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                          You're a better man than me. No way I could shoot a gun all day long. 24 hours is a long time to be shooting. An hour or two and I am done. How many rounds per hour do you shoot?
                          Lol didn’t know anyone would take that comment so serious.

Comment

Originally posted by droptine8850 View Post
                            my rem 700 5r milspec 308 does that easily and most factory ammo around 1/2"
                            ding! Ding!

Comment

Originally posted by mpotts View Post
                              ding! Ding!
                              Ditto

We have the same rifle

Dime size grouping

I can hand it to my shooting partner and he has same results left handed

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                                I wasn’t talking about 20rds all at one time

My apologies. Then that is what my Savage does. When I say cloverleafs, that is 3-5 rounds at 100 yards all touching. 3/4" groups or better.

Comment

Working...
                                X