What’s an affordable mortgage for you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s an affordable mortgage for you

What’s your rule of thumb on mortgage affordability for you and your family? I know there are several schools of thought out there but curious to what you middle class guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mortgage, plus taxes and insurance should be no more than 25% of your take home pay.

Comment

I like the 25% school of thought also. But it does depend on your other debt load. Most lenders can get you qualified for 40 - 50% debt load so be careful.
      You want to have enough $ after payments to repair things, keep up the landscape, and enjoy life.

.....and God Bless America.

Comment

40-50 for mortgage alone or all debt? That’s crazy for mortgage alone

Comment

I’ve always said i won’t go higher than 28 percent of take home with mortgage. Of course this does include 19 acres too

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
            Mortgage, plus taxes and insurance should be no more than 25% of your take home pay.

I am a Financial planner for 40 years. what he says. Lower the better

Comment

The general rule of thumb is no more than 28% of gross income for mortgage, including principal, interest, taxes and insurance.

Comment

Total debt to income matters way more than mortgage as percentage of income. I once had mortgage payment including taxes and insurance running over 50% of take home pay. But I was a single guy and had no other debt. Now with three kids and two car payments, no way I would get close to that.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                  Total debt to income matters way more than mortgage as percentage of income. I once had mortgage payment including taxes and insurance running over 50% of take home pay. But I was a single guy and had no other debt. Now with three kids and two car payments, no way I would get close to that.
                  Well of course. You have a bunch of other debt all bets are off

Comment

For sure

Comment

25% is safe. I would not go more than 33% of gross monthly.

Comment

We are at around 16% of take home for mortgage, tax, and insurance. To me that feels like too much.

Comment

I’ve also heard gross and take home.. not sure which is best to work off of.

Comment

Originally posted by jcamp View Post

Take home is the only number you can spend from so that’s what I use

Comment

Originally posted by jcamp View Post

Man i agree

Comment

Working...
                              X