Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Ford GT500 Numbers finally released: 760HP / 625TQ!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome chick car! Rivals the soccer-mom Rubicons!

Comment

I'm way down in the rgv...we have the Edinburg speedway, but it's 1/4 mile. I'm not sure of any organized autoX in the valley?? Yeah, those light weight good handling cars like the Focus & Miata can carry their weight so much better on the smaller courses that having double the HP doesn't lend itself any advantage!! I'm sure it's a hoot beating up the pony cars.

It's on the bucket list & just going to have to make it happen...thanks for the 411!!

Comment

Last week I was looking at a 2018 Camaro, I just couldn’t get pass how ugly the interior is. Camaro has a solid engine and one of the best suspensions, but the whole interior layout is terrible. Ended up Purchasing a very clean 2017 Mustang GT. Getting ready to start the Mods on it next week.

Comment

It's very ironic you say that...you watch any Motor Trend & the like or read any car rag & they will tell you the Camaro Interior is better than Mustang?? Look up the head to heads vs the two. Although I personally feel all of that is subjective anyway.

I really dig my ZL1 interior but to be honest, I'm surprised you went for the inside vs the superior handling & HP?? Good luck with Mods & watch out for the piston slap as it has been an issue with yote engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
            It's very ironic you say that...you watch any Motor Trend & the like or read any car rag & they will tell you the Camaro Interior is better than Mustang?? Look up the head to heads vs the two. Although I personally feel all of that is subjective anyway.

I really dig my ZL1 interior but to be honest, I'm surprised you went for the inside vs the superior handling & HP?? Good luck with Mods & watch out for the piston slap as it has been an issue with yote engine.
            For the price you paid for that ZL1, I can drop about $8k into that Mustang and come out way ahead. Ahead on Performance and my wallet. You can’t crank up the horsepower on you engine, with out changing out internals. That’s the weak part about the motor. As far as interiors go It is subjective but everything I’ve read says the Camaro interior looks cheap. There is a reason why Camaro is last in sales among Mustangs and The Charger. You always bring up people paying over sticker on GT350’s and now on the GT500. Ford can get those prices because the demand is very high. GM can’t do that with the Camaro, there is no demand for it. Just look at the 2019 Camaro what a disaster. At the end of the day, you can mod a Mustang and come out way ahead. Lots of Mustang on stock blocks and stock internals running 700 to 900 horsepower to the wheels. I was also comparing a Mustang GT to a Camaro SS not a ZL1. At the end of the day I choose the Mustang because I liked it more.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxlab View Post
              For the price you paid for that ZL1, I can drop about $8k into that Mustang and come out way ahead. Ahead on Performance and my wallet. You can’t crank up the horsepower on you engine, with out changing out internals. That’s the weak part about the motor. As far as interiors go It is subjective but everything I’ve read says the Camaro interior looks cheap. There is a reason why Camaro is last in sales among Mustangs and The Charger. You always bring up people paying over sticker on GT350’s and now on the GT500. Ford can get those prices because the demand is very high. GM can’t do that with the Camaro, there is no demand for it. Just look at the 2019 Camaro what a disaster. At the end of the day, you can mod a Mustang and come out way ahead. Lots of Mustang on stock blocks and stock internals running 700 to 900 horsepower to the wheels. I was also comparing a Mustang GT to a Camaro SS not a ZL1. At the end of the day I choose the Mustang because I liked it more.

What is the disaster about the 2019 Camaro? The only negative thing I’ve read is that people don’t like the bowtie placement. Also, the LT4 does have stronger internals than the LT1.

Before becoming so disenchanted with Ford after having issues with both the Ecoboost and Coyote motors, I was a die hard blue oval guy and spent quite a bit of time drooling over Mustangs. The modular engine vs pushrod engine approach is interesting. Seems like Ford guys go for the Whipple, and Chevy guys go Procharger. Not sure why that is. I like NA, and to be totally honest the one thing I like I like about the pushrod is that you can get the choppy idle with a cam....which is not why you put in a cam. Still, it’s iconic and beautiful.

One thing I also don’t understand is the Ford guys seem to do 1 3/4” headers and smaller exhaust - dual 2.5’s or Y-pipe to single 3” (for trucks anyway) until they hit 800hp. Then they will go to bigger headers and larger exhaust. Chevy guys seem to run 1 7/8” with dual 3”. Doesn’t make sense. Would think exhaust flow theory wouldn’t change that much.

As for piston slap, oil consumption, ticking, and quality control with the 2018+ Coyote 5.0, that is real. I have it all in my F150, and it sucks, AND Ford’s solution is nothing more than a shrug of the shoulders. I sincerely wish you none of these headaches or disappointments.

Comment

The disaster was the 2019 refresh they did. The front end looked bad. That front end caused a major drop in sales. Dealerships didn’t want to order any because they were sitting on the lot not moving. GM quickly made a decision to do a back to back refresh on the Camaro. They went with a new front end on the Camaro, that was at SEMA. For a NA engine, the things you mentioned will get you to 500. If you upgrade the heads, cam, exhaust, headers and a flex tune with E85. You will easily add a 100 horses with that package. As for my mustang I’m doing headers 1 7/8 from TX SPEED, FULL 3inch Corsa exhaust, Procharger P1X Stage 2, and BMR/ Steeda suspension. Goal is around 700 to the wheels. The 2018-2019 Mustang is having issues with piston slap. Not all of them but a bunch. Lots of Mustangs being bought back or having the engine replaced.
                This is why it took my about a year, to find a very clean 2017 to purchase.
                On your truck, are you using 5w-20 oil? Try going with 5w-30 and full synthetic, I heard that has helped out with the slap.

Comment

Don't get so defensive...I'm a car guy & like all cars & what each brings to the table. Like I said, I tried to buy a 350R before finding out about the ZL1 & just feel it's the superior car & times on the track prove it for that price range. I think the SS 1LE is superior over the 5.0 and it's best track package, but they are both neat cars. Although ford really does need to fix that slap & oil consumption issues so do keep an eye on it. I bet a lot of what you and other mustang guys hate about the camaro interior is really more of what I call the cockpit syndrome. It's certainly a different feeling falling into one & the visibility differences are legit.

The Ford & GM motor derive their power completely different...the LT1 / LT4 is a traditional pushrod that gives monster torque down low & I actually prefer this sort of power curve. The higher revving OHC type motors Ford makes that get all their power up top & it's obviously largely popular. Modding both isn't really that complicated & there are Camaros putting 1000hp at the tires, but why?? You have taken one of the best handling cars and turned it into a one trick pony & now everything else in the drive train is going to start breaking to keep up with the HP & eventually you don't have a Camaro any more.

I'm at 650/650 at the crank right now & really have no interest to get more than another 125-150 as it will require smaller pulley's and such that create too much heat for the road course. If I decide to mod I'm going to focus strictly on getting her more fuel in & breathing better. That's all I need / want for the turns & anything more than that won't help but likely hurt lap times.

There a lot more going into a 350R & ZL1 than comparing modding a base 5.0 or SS...good luck with the project & keep us posted on what you plan to do & the results.

Oh, again...no car is worth paying over sticker. NONE, not a raptor, demon, 500 or a ZL1 / vette. Dealers make ALOT of money at sticker & anything after that is pure greed & you are now paying the dealer to let you own the car. Buyers who do this are idiots & Ford dealers are the worst at ADM.
                  Last edited by Artos; 06-22-2019, 07:44 AM.

Comment

The disaster was the 2019 refresh they did.
                    It was down right hideous...

Comment

Artos, I do agree with you when it comes to track the ZL1 can’t be beat for the price. I have seen fancy Euro cars that cost 4 times the cost of the ZL1 get blown away by it.
                      I guess I’m going for an all around car that can handle and run a quick 1/4 mile. It’s hard to do that, most people commit to either or. I also want to be able to drive it daily if I want. So the suspension parts I add will be chosen carefully. I’m going for my version of a hybrid, track/quarter mile car. If it don’t work out there will be lots of parts for sale on the mustang forum.

Comment

I'm just tickled to see the big 3 back into the big HP game...won't be long before our cars are getting blown away by electrics & honestly hating how fast it is sneaking up on us. Just no romance without a rumbling exhaust note.

I like your build & bet times at the 1/4 would be stellar with DR's. Are you going to be doing all your own work?? Would be interesting to see your base line & final numbers although I understand the various dynos can fluctuate. There have been a couple of high 10's all factory ZL1's in perfect conditions. I can't figure out how to get a good 60ft time consistently & hard to keep the tires hooked up.

This is what I'm thinking of & was designed for the road courses.

This is a big package recently featured on our Facebook page. No pulley changes and gains 125 RWHP and potentially more. The JRE team aimed to make serious power without adding heat. Geared toward maintaining the ZL1's road race reliability the vehicle was designed for. The package includes: -Flex Fuel Sensor Kit-Kooks

Comment

I'm just tickled to see the big 3 back into the big HP game...won't be long before our cars are getting blown away by electrics & honestly hating how fast it is sneaking up on us. Just no romance without a rumbling exhaust note.
                          This is why I want to do a build. This may be the last generation to enjoy that heavy violent roar coming from under the hood. Looks like the fastest time at Nurburgring is an electric, which for speed and racing and baby steps towardsTron light cycles is awesome. But for good ol American horsepower is a sign that the end is near.

Comment

Yeah, I always thought that #1 at the Ring was bogus anyway...supposed to be for factory production cars & how does 2 made per year at $2.5MM dollars qualify?? I think the Chinese made it as well. It's wicked fast but if you watch the video, it's so bizarre listening to the whine vs a roar.

They are already talking electric assist Camaros & Mustangs coming soon!! Ick!!

Comment

I like your build & bet times at the 1/4 would be stellar with DR's. Are you going to be doing all your own work?? Would be interesting to see your base line & final numbers although I understand the various dynos can fluctuate. There have been a couple of high 10's all factory ZL1's in perfect conditions. I can't figure out how to get a good 60ft time consistently & hard to keep the tires hooked up.

This is what I'm thinking of & was designed for the road courses.

https://jannettyracing.com/collectio...019-camaro-zl1
                              I will more than likely do the suspension and cat back exhaust my self. It’s all Bolt Ons. For the Headers and Procharger a local shop here will be doing it.
                              That Jannette Racing Package is very nice. I have heard lots of good things coming out of that shop.
                              Probably the most important thing for the Chevy/Ford is going to be the tune.
                              A good tuner will make sure the engine won’t grenade. I’m looking at using Lund to tune the vehicle, when the time comes. I may go with a local tuner, just not sure.

Comment

Agreed...if I do the Jannetty he supports the remote local tune & I do have a local I trust. For the short term, I am eager to get suspension settled with the BMR upgrades. I have another year before the wnty runs out & will likely wait for the power mods.

Again, only hesitation is seeing what GM does on this counter to the 500...the LT5 in the next gen Camaro would be really something having a 755hp with warrantee but it is going to take a lot in the way of exterior aesthetics to take a hicky on trade in vs getting the same power with the mods I'm looking at. All good stuff regardless

Comment

Working...
                                X