Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Ford GT500 Numbers finally released: 760HP / 625TQ!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He worked hard. Made us proud. Just has to finish his internship to officially graduate

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
      There are a few ZL1s at track days here in Houston. It's amazing how far they have come in the handling department. Used to be a blaze of glory and tire smoke around each corner. Now they are just planted, look as good or better than the M3's on the track.
      GM owns the big three in regards to sports cars for the twisty tracks for sure...check out the 17 ZL1 & 18 ZL1 1LE youtube vids & their official Chevy times at Nurburgring. Absolutely incredible & are smoking exotic supercars costing 3x-4x the money.

Ford took the most recent $400k + GT to Willow Springs only to have the Vette ZR1 slaughter it a week later. It is very unfortunate that Ford will no longer do official hero runs. We'll have to rely on individuals taking it to the 'Ring & the car ags like Motor Trend to ring out the GT500 capabilities.

Here's the top 100 'Ring times:

Comment

Originally posted by topduarte View Post
        We just got this 2019 scat pak for son for college graduation.

485 hp is enough for him.
        Sweet...I assume it's the 5.7 SCAT at 485?? I'm not sure what the HP difference is between the 5.7 & 6.4 Hemi. You are correct, no need for forced induction at that age as you can ugly really fast. The nanny's they have on these cars are fantastic for keeping you out of trouble for daily driving. I won't drive mine on wet or cold pavement as the summer only tires get spooky. Make sure he keeps them on!!

Personally, I think that car you picked is the best straight line hotrod you can get for the coin!! Dodge knows it's market & it's the 1/4 mile guys, I just want them to step up & give the Mustang & Camaro a run for an all around handling car. They KNOW how to make them. I miss the Viper & that ACR was amazing.

The Camaro SS 1LE wins best bang for the buck if you prefer the turns...heck, it's on the heels of the GT350 for $20k less.

Comment

Enough horsepower....I’m not familiar with this theory.[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The scat pak is the 6.4 litre. We were looking for a used SRT due to the better gearing (scat pak only has the 3.09 gears, I believe SRT is 3.55 gears and has a gas guzzler tax of $1500 added at original purchase. )

Scat pak is a fun car to drive.
            Last edited by topduarte; 06-20-2019, 06:30 PM.

Comment

There are a few ZL1s at track days here in Houston. It's amazing how far they have come in the handling department. Used to be a blaze of glory and tire smoke around each corner. Now they are just planted, look as good or better than the M3's on the track.

Does the standard Camaro SS or ZL1 have good enough handling as is, or is the 1LE package needed to really glue it to the ground?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                Does the standard Camaro SS or ZL1 have good enough handling as is, or is the 1LE package needed to really glue it to the ground?

The SS 1LE & ZL1 both have the same magnetic ride suspension...it's pretty incredible & I don't understand how they do it. You put it in track mode & you can run over a dime & feel it. Put it in tour & the car is amazingly cozy. I would have to check, but I think you can option mag ride on non 1LE SS's if you want the auto. Its really made for the track & not something you got to have for daily driving if you just want to point straight and get a more basic SS. I personally think it's worth the upgrade if considering, but remember the SS 1LE only comes standard.

Now The ZL1 1LE has a dedicated DSSV race suspension & will knock your fillings out driving around town. This car is for track rats...it now comes both standard & with the A10.

Here's my car at the ring...all stock down to the tires other than the safety harness & roll cage. Note the top end speed at the end straight. Amazing track.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBmLnLJLQ0o"]2017 Camaro ZL1 - Beats Previous Generation’s Nürburgring Lap Time - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                  The SS 1LE & ZL1 both have the same magnetic ride suspension...it's pretty incredible & I don't understand how they do it. You put it in track mode & you can run over a dime & feel it. Put it in tour & the car is amazingly cozy. I would have to check, but I think you can option mag ride on non 1LE SS's if you want the auto. Its really made for the track & not something you got to have for daily driving if you just want to point straight and get a more basic SS. I personally think it's worth the upgrade if considering, but remember the SS 1LE only comes standard.

Now The ZL1 1LE has a dedicated DSSV race suspension & will knock your fillings out driving around town. This car is for track rats...it now comes both standard & with the A10.

Here's my car at the ring...all stock down to the tires other than the safety harness & roll cage. Note the top end speed at the end straight. Amazing track.

2017 Camaro ZL1 - Beats Previous Generationâ€[emoji769]s Nürburgring Lap Time - YouTube

Thanks. I will have to test drive them. I’m saving for a 2020 Camaro with the M6 and think I am going to get an SS 1LE and then do heads, cam, headers, e85, etc. 500rwhp seems pretty doable, and I think that’s when the 1LE would really be worthwhile to have. Hoping I can do a 2020, but might have to be a 2021. Don’t think I want a 7th gen. They seem to have really got the 6th gen dialed in and reliable.

Do you take your car to Grandsport or COTA?

Comment

Just give me a Fox body LX with a 5.0 liter.

Comment

txpitdog,

My goal is COTA...I want to do it right & get an instructor having never hit a road course. This was the plan when I got the car from day one but I'm just finding it hard to make it happen with time, logistics & $$$$. I spend so much on deer hunting with the lease dues and what not & when you put the penny to a COTA weekend?? I'm guessing $2k for the whole weekend meaning travel, hotel, track, instructor, plus I'm going to roast a set of tires & then changing all fluids?? Don't get me wrong, I'll make it happen but really worried I'm gonna create another hobby monster & I tend to jump into the deep end when I get a new itch.

You are on the right track, The SS is already 450hp so getting 500rwhp is going to be easy with the mods you are suggesting...just be sure to avoid the ones that will create any extra heat, so no forced induction as the SS coolers won't keep up. Heat soak is our enemy & This is why I am going with the 150hp Jennetty package next year as it opts out of a smaller pulley on the blower & focusses everything on the exhaust & fuel. The 6.2 SS LT1 & ZL1 LT4 are limited to extra HP from the factory simply from fuel starvation & breathing. You adding the cam & heads on top will make it a monster naturally aspirated beast. I just don't know enough to advise how much heat may be a factor for a long track day?? For sure you want the SS 1LE for your base!!

I too think you are right & was thinking of holding off to see what the next gen would bring with the 755hp LT5, but I just love the lines on the gen6 ZL1 & seems better to mod the sound LT4 and keep my 50yr anniversary 17?? I think it would take something truly outstanding by GM on the next gen to make me want to trade up??

Anyway, I would suggest joining up on camaro6 forum & start looking into what you want to accomplish...it's a wealth of info.

Comment

They fixed that a long time ago. You can bet on that Coyote burning oil though.

It’s not the Coyote engine. It’s a supercharged 5.2L flat plane engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          It’s not the Coyote engine. It’s a supercharged 5.2L flat plane engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          It's actually different than the Voodoo 5.2 you see in the 350 Mikey...the 500 uses a cross plane crank & different cam/heads. Read somewhere that using the blower with the flat plane crank didn't come together, plus the voodoo is having a ton of oil usage & vibration issues. Hopefully they got this one worked out.

Comment

See Artos response. On track days, a 1 minute run, they are pretty much neck and neck.

Artos,

Where you at in South Texas? I am a member of Houston SCCA. If you have a relatively big city near you, check out the SCCA website. Reason I suggest it, once a month I run autocross solo. It's "relatively" low speed, in my Focus ST (My daily ride) I rarely shift out of 2nd, so say low 60s at best. Its a handling course. I bought a set of rims and tires, otherwise my car is stock. I haven't changed fluids or anything yet, and it's an absolute blast. Thought I am probably going to go to DOT4 as soon as these pads are shot, and swap to Brembo's.

Another suggestion is to see if there is a Starting Line School near you. The one day course is $350, they teach you how to drive your car in solo cup (Instructor in your car). While it isn't high speed (Again, mid 60's or so), it is really helpful for getting ready for a big track like COTA, Harris Hills, Grandsport, or MSR, and relatively low wear and tear, so you don't go broke afterwards. Plus, if you pay the $350, you get a free entry to one of those tracks for Track Night In America.

But yes, it can get expensive if you want it to. I am looking at swapping sway bars already. After that, probably going to upgrade to a better long track car. Mine will take on any Corvette/Camaro below 60 mph in autocross, after that I might as well be standing still LOL.

http://www.houscca.com/autocross/home/

Comment

See Artos response. On track days, a 1 minute run, they are pretty much neck and neck.

Artos,

Where you at in South Texas? I am a member of Houston SCCA. If you have a relatively big city near you, check out the SCCA website. Reason I suggest it, once a month I run autocross solo. It's "relatively" low speed, in my Focus ST (My daily ride) I rarely shift out of 2nd, so say low 60s at best. Its a handling course. I bought a set of rims and tires, otherwise my car is stock. I haven't changed fluids or anything yet, and it's an absolute blast. Thought I am probably going to go to DOT4 as soon as these pads are shot, and swap to Brembo's.

Another suggestion is to see if there is a Starting Line School near you. The one day course is $350, they teach you how to drive your car in solo cup (Instructor in your car). While it isn't high speed (Again, mid 60's or so), it is really helpful for getting ready for a big track like COTA, Harris Hills, Grandsport, or MSR, and relatively low wear and tear, so you don't go broke afterwards. Plus, if you pay the $350, you get a free entry to one of those tracks for Track Night In America.

But yes, it can get expensive if you want it to. I am looking at swapping sway bars already. After that, probably going to upgrade to a better long track car. Mine will take on any Corvette/Camaro below 60 mph in autocross, after that I might as well be standing still LOL.

http://www.houscca.com/autocross/home/
                              Oh man this sounds like a blast! Definitely going to check this out

Comment

Oh man this sounds like a blast! Definitely going to check this out
                                Shoot me a message if you go to the next one. It's definitely the most fun you can have without voiding the warranty!

Comment

Working...
                                X