• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That video is great!

Skinny

Comment

Originally posted by tkuehn5410 View Post
      I'm doing first dried sausage as well. Can you do cheese and jalapeno dried sausage? And do you need to use dried jalapenos, or are diced ok?
      We never attempt it intentionally, but sometimes a few links have hi-temp cheese in them. I wouldn't try a big batch of it. The cheese is kinda nasty looking and may not be good to eat after hanging for a couple weeks in-refrigerated.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
        That video is great!

Skinny
        Thanks Shane! We'll be back at it in a couple of weeks!
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Michael how did that cabbage sausage turn out?

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Saggy View Post
            Who is it on here that finishes smoked sausage in cooled, air circulated room to dry?
            Please post your method as I am wanting to try this

Thanks
            We make about 400 rings every year about to do it again this weekend.

Our recipe is pretty simple.

We use 70% deer to 30% pork and we use pork picnic trimmings.
            We grind twice big hole and small hole. Salt, Pepper, fresh garlic, red pepper, and sometimes crushed red pepper.

Stuff it, we try to used the smallest diameter casing possible. We use pork casings.

Hang it, let it drip dry over night and smoke all day long the first day.

After that make sure they are not touching while hanging and we usually put a fan in the smoke house to keep good circulation. REMEMBER HUMIDITY IS YOUR ENEMY! I wouldn't smoke again for about a week unless you have some real humid days!! (now if you have a dehumidifier then you are golden) The meat will only absorb so much smoke after that you are just using it to keep humidity down.

It usually takes mine about 10 days to 14 days depending on the weather.

Also make sure THIS IS IMPORTANT, when stuffing make sure you do not get air pockets in the sausage it will spoil fast! Air on the inside is also a BAD thing.

Let me know if you have another questions.

Comment

I have a couple questions as I have only made about 30lbs of sausage total in my life.

How do you get the sausage into rings from the big coil? I saw in the video where you were tying them but I'm still not sure how you do it. Do you cut the big coil to length and then tie the cut ends closed? Do you tie the ends closed before you cut them to length and then tie the ends together?

Also do you poke holes in the casing of the dried sausage before you hang it?

What temperature range do you try and maintain in the smokehouse for drying the sausage?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by JTCowpoke View Post
                How do you get the sausage into rings from the big coil? I saw in the video where you were tying them but I'm still not sure how you do it. Do you cut the big coil to length and then tie the cut ends closed? Do you tie the ends closed before you cut them to length and then tie the ends together?

What temperature range do you try and maintain in the smokehouse for drying the sausage?

Thanks
                We do it wrong, and the long way, and I need someone to teach me the proper way to do it. We cut the big coil into 20-30" pieces and tie both ends. There is a way to do this more efficiently but I only got to watch the traditional way of tying sausage once and forgot how it was done. You end up having to re stuff the ends, and waste a lot of casing.

I hang the sausage and don't really check for air pockets until after the first day, and then go back and use a push pin to vent the holes.

Ideally I'd like temps in the 50's but ive done it as high as 74 (ac temp in my house) with fans.

Jason Slocum

Comment

I’m going to have to try this

Comment

Originally posted by waterdog View Post
                    Michael how did that cabbage sausage turn out?

It turned out great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have a couple questions as I have only made about 30lbs of sausage total in my life.

Thanks

You just cut into the lengths you prefer. We tie our ends with string since we hang it to dry. You can skip tying it if you are not going to let it hang for an extended time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I dry mine the easy way, smoke it and put it in the dehydrator. It's too humid here on the coast.

Comment

Subscribed for lernin

Comment

I run mine out to desired length and stop the stuffing process, pull off a couple inches of casing and resume. The gaps between lengths get tied off on each end and I can cut the casing without having to pinch out meat. I know this isn't the most efficient way to do it and would love to see a video on how to properly tie and separate links.

Comment

I am definitely going to do this in the next few weeks.

Comment

I hang mine in the smoke house, make sure they aren’t touching, smoke a few hours and just let em hang until they are dry enough to snap instead of bend. I use a dehumidifier in my smokehouse, along with a coolbot I leave set around 44. Also, I don’t tie with string. Takes way too long.

Comment

Working...
                                X