MAGA! Go Trump Mexico tariffs to increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAGA! Go Trump Mexico tariffs to increase

President Donald Trump threatened on Thursday to impose new tariffs on Mexico if the country does not step up its immigration enforcement actions, combining his boiling border-related frustrations with his preferred method of punishing foreign countries.

This is how you make them pay for the wall. Or get them to help. I've been saying this for years.

Orale!

Comment

Go Trump!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

but but but... the stock market is on a downward trend this week cause of that haha. He should put stiff tariffs on everyone who wants to sell or export to the US. Tired of the US getting the short end of the stick trying to be the nice guy all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
          https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/30/polit...ion/index.html

This is how you make them pay for the wall. Or get them to help. I've been saying this for years.
          Genuinely curious about this...I'd like to know how? The way I understand tariffs are the importer (in this case the person on the U.S. side) pays the tariff to U.S. Customs & Border Protection for bringing goods in...not the seller on Mexico's side. Buyer then passes those additional costs along to the U.S. consumer through higher prices...so in the end isn't it the U.S. citizen that pay these tariffs when we buy foreign made goods?

Not sure how this forces Mexico's hands to build a wall...unless we think demand for Mexican products will fall and they will cave due to long term economic pressure...but that could take years.
          Last edited by JonBoy; 05-31-2019, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post
            Genuinely curious about this...I'd like to know how? The way I understand tariffs are the importer (in this case the person on the U.S. side) pays the tariff to U.S. Customs & Border Protection for bringing goods in...not the seller on Mexico's side. Buyer then passes those additional costs along to the U.S. consumer through higher prices...so in the end isn't it the U.S. citizen that pay these tariffs when we buy foreign made goods?

Not sure how this forces Mexico's hands to build a wall...unless we think demand for Mexican products will fall and they will cave due to long term economic pressure...but that could take years.

Basically produce and products coming out of Mexico will now cost more on the shelf which will look less desirable to the consumer and consumer will buy elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by JonBoy View Post

You being serious?

Even if one chooses to look at this from the angle liberals want you to it will still cost Mexico tons of money. The cost of their product goes up. People then can buy quality American made items instead.

It's really not rocket science.

Comment

Go Trump.

Comment

You being serious?

Even if one chooses to look at this from the angle liberals want you to it will still cost Mexico tons of money. The cost of their product goes up. People then can buy quality American made items instead.

True. Also true: Tariffs cost all of us tons of money as well, whether we are paying more for the imported goods that the tariffs apply to, or we are paying more for the competing goods made in America.

Tariffs add cost to everything they apply to, whether it's directly to the imported goods or indirectly to the American competition's goods. And that added cost is paid by the American consumer, not the foreign government or the foreign producer of the goods. The foreign country doesn't pay more through tariffs. They just sell us less and earn less, due to the higher price on our end of their goods. But WE are the ones that will be paying all of the added costs that result from the tariffs.

Trump's trade wars may or may not end up producing the desired results from the foreign governments that he/we would like to see. Time will tell. If the foreign governments cave soon, then we can say that it was a good move. If they don't, and the trade war just escalates and tariffs stay for a long time and even get bigger over time, it could end up backfiring and costing all of us a lot more than it's worth.

It's not a liberal wish to view tariffs and trade wars with lots of skepticism. Big government central planner types are the folks who typically LOVE tariffs. Free market conservatives and libertarians typically hate tariffs and government intervention and meddling with free trade.

Trump is clearly better than Hillary. He's clearly willing to fight against a lot of people and causes that are harmful to America. He's obviously doing a lot of good things. But that doesn't mean he is incapable of being wrong sometimes. Tariffs and trade wars are big government meddling with the free market, and they're potentially very harmful to the people that the big government central planners claim to be trying to help - US.

If China or Mexico or anyone else is willing to subsidize their own workers' products in order to make it possible for them to sell us stuff for less than we can produce the same goods here, we should LET THEM. It's good for us to be able to buy MORE goods and services for our dollars. If they are willing to work for peanuts, that's awesome for us. Let 'em.

I love that Trump is willing to take bold moves against foreign governments. But tariffs aren't the best way to do that. To put pressure on the Mexican government to stop illegal immigration, we should cut off foreign aid to their government rather than tariffs on their goods. WE are the ones paying for the tariffs, whether we continue to buy their goods at artificial government-imposed higher prices due to the tariffs, or we switch to buy higher priced goods produced in the US or some other country besides Mexico. Either way, it's costing all of us more money. Cutting foreign aid to Mexico would cost the American consumer nothing. It would directly hurt the Mexican government. That would be a much better way to put pressure on them. Trump should give up his love affair with tariffs and find other ways to pressure foreign governments like China and Mexico.

Comment

Ayyy Caramba!! Mexican Beer will go up in price!!!

Comment

^^Good write up, Shane. Im far from an expert, but my opinion is pretty similar to yours.

The most direct example that I’ve seen during the course of this has been the back and forth with China and soy. Brazil (& other countries) stepped up production when the market was volatile and likely took away a big chunk of the US soy export market permanently. I don’t know how the powers that be couldn’t understand the consequences. It’s sure hurt a lot of people.

Comment

You being serious?

Those quality American made items cost more money with or without the tariffs. Se we the American people will be paying more if the cheaper option has a tariff.

How is this good? I support American business when it makes sense. Not when I want some cheap produce

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                          ^^Good write up, Shane. Im far from an expert, but my opinion is pretty similar to yours.

The most direct example that I’ve seen during the course of this has been the back and forth with China and soy. Brazil (& other countries) stepped up production when the market was volatile and likely took away a big chunk of the US soy export market permanently. I don’t know how the powers that be couldn’t understand the consequences. It’s sure hurt a lot of people.
                          It goes even deeper than that, as tariffs affect currency exchange rates too, so that the net result ends up being basically zero at a macro level. But we all live in our own individual micro economies, and we're the ones paying for the cost of tariffs levied against imported goods.

Milton Friedman, one of the wisest free market economists ever, spoke and wrote a lot about that. When you dig into economics, it gets deep in a hurry. But if anyone wants to really get into how it really works, they should look up Friedman. Lots of videos on YouTube if you don't want to go to books and such.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                            Tariffs and trade wars are big government meddling with the free market, and they're potentially very harmful to the people that the big government central planners claim to be trying to help - US.
                            I agree with pretty much everything you state, I am not a big government guy. And Modelo is my go to cerveza, so this could hit me pretty hard.

Illegal immigration is pretty harmful to a free market as well. Quick google search says the US gives Mexico about $256MM in aide per year, but most of it goes to drug related departments. Which is one reason why cutting aide would be a problem.

My question is how much economic impact could the tariffs (its infinite in my opinion) have versus say a quantifiable number of cutting aide?

Comment

Truck farming in the Valley just doubled and gonna make a lot of people a lot of money if they ain't too lazy to work. MAGA
                              I can see a lot of small farms getting back into truck farming all across the south.
                              For the amount of land it takes to raise 10 head of cattle to market you can grow and make 3 time that with truck farming veggies. Of course you gonna have to work 5 times as hard.

Comment

Working...
                              X