The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R-E-S-P-E-C-T for you back country boys
    !! Started implementing a “mountain prep” workout... goal was 25 floors under 5 mins with 30 lbs post workout. Did it just a hair over 5.5 mins, but couple things I learned. 1) I’m gonna need to pack 100 gallons of water apparently lol 2) the thought of shooting with my HR at 170 is going to be interesting 3) I’ve got a good 15 lbs to lose [emoji1787][emoji1787]

Goals 100 floors (no time frame) in the next month [emoji1374]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
      !! Started implementing a “mountain prep” workout... goal was 25 floors under 5 mins with 30 lbs post workout. Did it just a hair over 5.5 mins, but couple things I learned. 1) I’m gonna need to pack 100 gallons of water apparently lol 2) the thought of shooting with my HR at 170 is going to be interesting 3) I’ve got a good 15 lbs to lose [emoji1787][emoji1787]

This is by far my favorite elk training workout. I have tried several over the years and keep coming back to this machine. Get where you can do it without using the hand rails for the whole workout. I use a training pack with a bag of sand in it and a little extra weight to get to 50lbs. Our hunt last year ended with us covering 59 miles in 9 days.

Comment

As much as I hate to take something from Cam Hanes. He has it right. It’s all mental. I’ve never once been in as good of shape as I have needed to be for a hunt. But you just hike until you get where your going. And when you kill an animal you put parts of it in your pack and hike in and out until it’s all in the cooler. I am in probably the worst shape of my life but I hiked 9 hours into a camp in NZ with 65# on my back. I think being in shape is one of those things that has a diminishing rate of return. If your a fat *** couch slob then ya work out. But if you can hike for 8 hours strait then doing stuff like work on your shot and hunting abilities will benefit you more than doing more step ups.

Comment

Good work out there!! If you get a chance, walk some rocky trails even if it's not climbing elevation it will get your feet, ankles and knees used to the extra weight on uneven terrain.
          Last edited by Pedernal; 06-02-2019, 03:46 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys! I work for ups so i avg 9-12 miles on the hoof a day.. my biggest concern really is my knee on the uneven ground or loose gravel. I’ll def be pulling the knee brace out! Gonna go to REI outside of Houston in a few weeks and try on and hopefully get a pair of boots.

Comment

If you’re going to Rei for sure check out the Salomon quest 4d gtx boots

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post

Will put on my list [emoji1303]

Comment

Used them last year in Colorado and all through the rest of hunting season, awesome boot. However mine and a friends pair have both lost their waterproof-ness in under 1 year.

Comment

Comment

How much water do y’all on avg pack in?

Comment

Depends on how available it is in area you're hunting.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I carried a 3 liter Bladder and nalgene bottle and streripen last year. Plus 2 cases of water at truck.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I wore mine for the first time this weekend hunting in rocksprings. Climbing the hills and walking on the rocks . They are lite and quiet for a boot. Very comfortable..

Comment

Depends on where I’m going. Most my spots a Nalgene bottle, then when I get to camp I fill up my bladder and 4l bag for camp.

Heaviest thing in your pack is a full water bladder.

If I’m hunting up high above tree line, I may pack in 6l for 3 days

Comment

3 Liters. Also carried a 6l dirty bag and a Sawyer filter. Added a quick-disconnect piece to my hose and can easily refill my bladder without taking it out of my pack. Basically run the dirty bag to an in-line sawyer filter, quick connect that to the bladder in your pack and let gravity do the rest.

Comment

Working...
                                X