Cold feet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold feet

I get miserable cold feet in cold weather when I am just sitting around.

The problem is that with socks and good boots, my feet get incredible warm and comfortable. So warm they sweat. Once they sweat sand I sit in the blind, they get very, very cold.

What am I doing wrong? Should I be using foot powder to keep them dry? Is there some sock I need to get?

How do you combat cold feet?

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

A thin layer of wool. If my feet get too cold, I take off my boots and warm them by my Mr. Buddy heater.

Comment

Originally posted by salth2o View Post
      A thin layer of wool. If my feet get too cold, I take off my boots and warm them by my Mr. Buddy heater.
      In this scenario I am an idiot and forgot my Mr buddy heater lol.

Comment

Foot powder, and cashmere socks, and change socks more frequently, maybe even change socks in the blind, I personally don’t like insulated boots that don’t have removable liners
        Some insulated boots require being put on a boot dryer overnight to rid them of moisture

Comment

Moisture wicking thin socks and wool socks.

Comment

A few ways to solve that problem...

- A good pair of wool socks. They come in several different weights. I have light merino socks for warm weather, mid-weight merino socks for cool weather and heavy weight merino socks for cold weather
            - If your feet get sweaty walking to the blind, wear a serviceable pair of socks for your hike in and change into a nice pair of wool socks in the blind. Dry feet are key.
            - The HotHands foot warmers and toe warmers work pretty good.
            - For the ultimate in warm feet, get a set of ArticShield boot insulators and drop a HotHands warmer inside when you put them over your boots.
            - Make sure your feet aren't too tight in your boots. Heavy socks can make your feet fit tight in your boots. If your feet are wet from sweat and your boots fit tight, that is a very bad combination.

The key is not letting your feet get cold. It's easier to keep them from getting cold than it is to warm them up once they are cold...unless you have a heater.
            Last edited by Vermin93; 01-10-2021, 04:20 PM.

Comment

spent four years on a cold-weather mountain team. You can also use antiperspirant on your feet to keep them from sweating. Use a thin liner, and a good smart wool sock. You'll be fine. Or, as some folks stated - change your socks when you get to the blind. Keep your feet warm and dry.

Comment

Wool sock liners and wool socks

Comment

I am of no help. My feet used to get cold but not anymore. I got type 2 diabetes and can't feel my feet anymore. I just got home from Toledo Bend, two mornings in pop-up blind at 34 degrees and my feet were fine. When I joked with my doc about it, he didn't catch the joke.

Comment

The key is.............
                    Keep your feet dry................
                    One of the first things I do, when I get in a blind...........
                    Is take my boots off, for awhile....Let my feet breathe...............

Comment

Sabine, my former foreman had diabetes. He found a 2” long split in his heel that was over 1/2” deep. Never felt it! Took months to heal up. Stay on top of that stuff bro!

Comment

I carry a pair of thick wool socks in my pack. When I get in my blind I take off my boots and put on the socks. Leave my boots off.

Comment

Keeping the rest of my body warm, keeps my feet warm. Layering my upper and lower body, good scarf around my neck and a warm hat. When it’s really cold, the stick on toe warmers work well on the outside of my boot then covered with boot blankets.

Comment

My feet sweat bad, especially in rubber boots. I tried almost every kind of boot/liner/sock combo there is and my feet still got cold. The best thing I have found to do is dress as light as possible to the stand, not just socks but layering as well. Once to the stand I finish layering up and once in the stand I change socks and put on a liner sock followed by a merino wool sock. Also before leaving the house I powder my feet or put unscented antiperspirant deodorant on them.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                              Moisture wicking thin socks and wool socks.
                              X2

Comment

Working...
                              X