280 AI on whitetail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

280 AI on whitetail

Question for y’all who have 280 AI. I’ve never had one but APR is currently building me one. What’s the best bullet for whitetail deer and hogs. Mostly shoot 150-250 yds. Curious what you guys have had success with. Considering 140 Accubonds.

I'm shooting 120gr tipped Barnes & while they perform magnificently, half your shots will have good blood trails & the others minimal. Never had a deer go more than 25yds but our dense prickers make for an exiting track at times but have quit worrying about it.

I never could get any of the snazzy bonded bullets to print well on paper or would have gone that route. I would use whatever quality bullet your gun likes & be done with it.

Comment

120 grain Nosler ballistic tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
        I would use whatever quality bullet your gun likes & be done with it.
        Mine likes a variety of different bullets. Currently pushing 140 SGKs hard with 1/2 MOA accuracy. She also likes 162 SSTs with similar accuracy. I've worked with 160 Accubonds but accuracy opened to about 3/4. Have used 139 Hornady BTSPs and SSTs, both showed promise but didn't finish load development. Load any good hunting bullet your rifle likes and go kill stuff.

Comment

I haven't shot many but the 168 berger classic hunter has been a hammer.

I shot several with the 140 accubond in nosler factory ammo and they were all DRT or barely went anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
            Thumbs up!

Comment

Yes

Comment

Maybe my deer are just weak. But I have never ever needed a bonded or monometal bullet to kill one. Cup and core bullets work just fine if you can hit them in the vitals. For people who gut or azz shoot then maybe a premium bullet would be beneficial. I don’t need a blood trail because I get bang flops. I prefer the energy of the bullet releasing inside the deer. Not on the other side. Most deer I’ve ever killed in a year was 36. Not one tracking job using the 7mm 120 grain Nosler ballistic tip. It ain’t broke and I ain’t fixing it.

Comment

I use 140 gr. Berger VLD Hunting. Always provides a good short blood trail.

I’m getting 3175 FPS.

Comment

Maybe my deer are just weak. But I have never ever needed a bonded or monometal bullet to kill one. Cup and core bullets work just fine if you can hit them in the vitals. For people who gut or azz shoot then maybe a premium bullet would be beneficial. I don’t need a blood trail because I get bang flops. I prefer the energy of the bullet releasing inside the deer. Not on the other side. Most deer I’ve ever killed in a year was 36. Not one tracking job using the 7mm 120 grain Nosler ballistic tip. It ain’t broke and I ain’t fixing it.
                    LOL.. Don't be an azz shooter with any bullet..

Comment

I use what's accurate & still amazed a solid copper can stack them...been shooting this gun since 94 & had several flavors of cup & core bullets not exit. I prefer my bullets leaving the body even if it's a light trail & what I'm comfortable with. Never lost a deer so not broke here. Today's hunting bullets are better then in the past & really should pick whatever the paper tells you to.

Comment

Originally posted by dc1986 View Post
                        Question for y’all who have 280 AI. I’ve never had one but APR is currently building me one. What’s the best bullet for whitetail deer and hogs. Mostly shoot 150-250 yds. Curious what you guys have had success with. Considering 140 Accubonds.
                        For those BIG bodied Mexico bucks I think your choice is perfect... I wouldn't even consider shooting a 120gr Ballistic tip in Old Mexico. I shot a big buck down there about 8 years ago with 2 7mm 140gr Ballistic tips before he dropped. Both shots were perfect, broad side shots, and only 1.5" apart and neither bullet exited.. If he would have hit that thick brush there would have been no blood trail to follow..

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                          For those BIG bodied Mexico bucks I think your choice is perfect... I wouldn't even consider shooting a 120gr Ballistic tip in Old Mexico. I shot a big buck down there about 8 years ago with 2 7mm 140gr Ballistic tips before he dropped. Both shots were perfect, broad side shots, and only 1.5" apart and neither bullet exited.. If he would have hit that thick brush there would have been no blood trail to follow..
                          Mexico bucks are no larger than Texas bucks. Had you made a high shoulder shot with a 120 grain ballistic tip your second shot would have been while he was laying on the ground and deceased.

Comment

Mexico bucks are no larger than Texas bucks. Had you made a high shoulder shot with a 120 grain ballistic tip your second shot would have been while he was laying on the ground and deceased.
                            I agree for some ST counties but not all and they are almost twice the size, body wise, as the Bucks I hunt in Brady.. Also Im a taxidermist so I see and measure plenty..
                            If I was to replace your Mexico cape with a hill country cape I 100% garauntee you that you would see a significant size difference.. Completely different sub species..

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                              I agree for some ST counties but not all and they are almost twice the size, body wise, as the Bucks I hunt in Brady.. Also Im a taxidermist so I see and measure plenty..
                              If I was to replace your Mexico cape with a hill country cape I 100% garauntee you that you would see a significant size difference.. Completely different sub species..
                              That’s true. I thought that was a given so failed to make the distinction.

Comment

Working...
                              X