The 2020 Thermal & Night Vision Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fordnandez View Post
    I believe he said it is a thermal that is mounted on his helmet not NV.
    Yes he did.

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
    I’ll say that a thermal scanner is worth its weight in gold, but they have helped us achieve absolutely zero more kills than we would have without them. Still worth it. They just make it easier and safer to scan instead of having to point a rifle at everything or remove the thermal from the rifle and remount. We do all of the above regularly.

I’ll never run anything helmet mounted again. Been there done that, and my head absolutely hates it. I’ve tried more than a few different helmets, pads, and counter balance kits, and nothing works for me. I get headaches quickly from it. My preference is a handheld scanner such as the Helion XP. I think I’m looking at the NVision NOX 35 next though. Double as a scanner or rifle sight.
    My good buddy went thru this also and also we don't use it when we hunt. Having a Reap with the QD, its easy to pop on and off.

Would a scanner be nice? Yes but I will never buy just a scanner. My 2nd scope will serve as scanner/2nd gun

Comment

I am becoming intertested in the helmet mounted devices but no nothing about the whole set up. Which thermal did you end up with? I am guessing you need a special helmet or do you just fasten attachment points to any helmet?
      I have tried 3 or 4 different HMT devices. There are pros and cons to all of them. You need a special NV helmet unless you have a chitload of duct tape at home.

Originally posted by gingib View Post
      Can you explain why you love yours so much and how you use it? Just to keep an eye on them as you stalk up?
      A lot of you guys are hunting gigantic open fields, or feeders, where, basically, you already know where the hogs are going to be. That's not how it is for me. My properties are very small, and very wooded. I am traversing trails through the woods and may only get a tiny glimpse at a hog before he senses me. Previously I was basically spending all night holding my scope up to my eye as I walked. That sucks. Having HMT gives me full-time thermal scanning abilities, and I have seen waaaay more pigs that I would have never noticed before.

It is also very helpful for stalking up to them. You can see their every movement as you approach.
      I believe he said it is a thermal that is mounted on his helmet not NV.
      I run NV on one eye and HMT on the other, because I need to be able to drive my golf cart in the darkness.

I get headaches quickly from it.
      That's because you're a softie.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
        Yes he did.

My good buddy went thru this also and also we don't use it when we hunt. Having a Reap with the QD, its easy to pop on and off.

Would a scanner be nice? Yes but I will never buy just a scanner. My 2nd scope will serve as scanner/2nd gun
        I ran a Trail XP38 as a scanner and back up scope while running my XP50LRF as my main shooter. Worked well enough, but I prefer a dedicated scanner. Also ran a REAP 35 as a dedicated scanner while running a MK3 60 as the shooter. Not a fan of the sharp edges of a mount bouncing around my chest while walking, and a dedicated scanner is more ergonomically designed to be held as a scanner. A few hours here and there i don’t notice much difference. When we start at 8pm and hunt until 7am it makes a huge difference in comfort. I enjoy the ability of having a back up scope for sure, but it just ends up as a loaner for buddies that don’t have thermal. I’m not too hurt about them not having a thermal anymore lol

Comment

I ran a Trail XP38 as a scanner and back up scope while running my XP50LRF as my main shooter. Worked well enough, but I prefer a dedicated scanner. Also ran a REAP 35 as a dedicated scanner while running a MK3 60 as the shooter. Not a fan of the sharp edges of a mount bouncing around my chest while walking, and a dedicated scanner is more ergonomically designed to be held as a scanner. A few hours here and there i don’t notice much difference. When we start at 8pm and hunt until 7am it makes a huge difference in comfort. I enjoy the ability of having a back up scope for sure, but it just ends up as a loaner for buddies that don’t have thermal. I’m not too hurt about them not having a thermal anymore lol
          Yes. I hear you on that. I just won't buy another unless I can use it as a scope also. THey are all light and small enough now I can lanyard it around my neck when solo.

I know where the hogs are once I load up and mount my gun. I walk with me Tripod/gun mounted over my shoulder and occasionally scan on my walk to the pigs then throw sticks back over my shoulder. When close enough I walk with sticks in front of me so I can see thru the scope when I need to

Comment

Had a pretty good hunt several months back but just got around to editing it to cut out all the unnecessary footage. Ended up with 4 hogs from two groups during the same hunt.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAIduao_vX8&t=11s"]Thermal Hog Hunt 4 Hogs Down - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Lot of new things introduced in the industry in the past several days. The Late Night Vision Show gives a pretty good rundown today but don't bother clicking if "don't have time to sit and watch 2 guys BS for an hour".

Comment

There sure are a lot of people butt hurt about someone not wanting to sit through 2 hours of BS. I thoroughly enjoy reading Jason’s post, but I have no desire to ever watch a video of his. I’ve tried a couple times, and 10 minutes into I close the video and move on elsewhere. Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

There sure are a lot of people butt hurt about someone not wanting to sit through 2 hours of BS. I thoroughly enjoy reading Jason’s post, but I have no desire to ever watch a video of his. I’ve tried a couple times, and 10 minutes into I close the video and move on elsewhere. Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

My comment was in reference to the show. His comment got honorable mention on it ... and you're right, different strokes but I think we all agree we enjoy hunting with thermals and/or night vision.

Comment

Anybody try out the nvision Atlas 50mm handheld yet?
                      Seriously thinking about purchasing this to go with my Halo lr

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post
                        My comment was in reference to the show. His comment got honorable mention on it ... and you're right, different strokes but I think we all agree we enjoy hunting with thermals and/or night vision.
                        Yes sir we do. Jason puts out great content. I’m just too ADHD to sit still for that long lol

Comment

Yes sir we do. Jason puts out great content. I’m just too ADHD to sit still for that long lol
                          Yes he does. I've killed a lot of time driving back and forth to work and/or on the way to the farm listening to his podcasts. Now that I'm unemployed, I make more trips to the farm so need him to put out more content to keep me awake on those drives.

Comment

Lot of talk about scanners lately. Here is a pic of mine.

Well, I guess I forgot how to post a pic.

Comment

I wish I knew where the valuable content was in the videos

I got ADHD and can't listen to 2 guys chit chat that long lol

Comment

Had a pretty good hunt several months back but just got around to editing it to cut out all the unnecessary footage. Ended up with 4 hogs from two groups during the same hunt.

Thermal Hog Hunt 4 Hogs Down - YouTube
                                Ugh--I got seasick watching that-- But am looking forward to next week as winds are most favorable for my favorite spots.

Comment

Working...
                                X