LRGV Teniente 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes,
    There are not very many large mesquite trees in the area but I was fortunate that there was one in the perfect spot with some nice fat limbs that worked to sit and stand on. My feet were probably 8-10 feet off the ground. I usually sit in a small chair I carry in my backpack. The nilgai bust me every time when I'm on the ground.

Comment

That’s awesome, congrats! Thanks for the info, will be down there in a couple weeks.

Comment

Broadhead

Originally posted by Clay6x45 View Post
        Yes,
        There are not very many large mesquite trees in the area but I was fortunate that there was one in the perfect spot with some nice fat limbs that worked to sit and stand on. My feet were probably 8-10 feet off the ground. I usually sit in a small chair I carry in my backpack. The nilgai bust me every time when I'm on the ground.

Congrats on the cow 🐄, what size broadheads and brand did the job ?

Comment

Just for information for anyone on the next hunt. I was only really hunting for Nilgai but on Sunday morning I saw a true 170 plus class buck cross into the South end of the refuge in the area west of county road 10. I don't think anyone hunted that area. Might be worth a look.
          Awesome man. Congrats.

Comment

Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Bow Bandit,

I read that you have experience down South and am in need of some advice. My son and I were drawn for Laguna (rifle) and East Lake (exotic Rifle). We have never been to either. Was hoping you could give some insight to both locations? I'm primarily a bow hunter, but got drawn for rifle. I'm not gonna pass up the opportunity to spend some time with my son in the field. Saw your patch on the profile pic. I work for SAFD, I'm an officer for the Medical Special Operations Team. Hoping you could help out a brother in blue a little bit? Just Joined TBH cant send PM's yet.
              Thank you,

Josh

Comment

Congrats on the cow! Way to make it happen!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hiphellcat View Post
                  Bow Bandit,

I read that you have experience down South and am in need of some advice. My son and I were drawn for Laguna (rifle) and East Lake (exotic Rifle). We have never been to either. Was hoping you could give some insight to both locations? I'm primarily a bow hunter, but got drawn for rifle. I'm not gonna pass up the opportunity to spend some time with my son in the field. Saw your patch on the profile pic. I work for SAFD, I'm an officer for the Medical Special Operations Team. Hoping you could help out a brother in blue a little bit? Just Joined TBH cant send PM's yet.
                  Thank you,

Josh
                  Hello Josh- I will send him a PM for you.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
                    Congrats on the cow 🐄, what size broadheads and brand did the job ?
                    I was using G5 montec solid broadheads. They are not very big but they are extremely tough. I think penetration is probably more important than cutting width on a nilgai. I actually got full penetration through the opposite shoulder on a quartering away shot. She only went about 70 yards. Unfortunately I could never find by arrow. I don't know if if was partially hanging out the backside of just got hidden in the grass but I never found it.

Comment

I was using G5 montec solid broadheads. They are not very big but they are extremely tough. I think penetration is probably more important than cutting width on a nilgai. I actually got full penetration through the opposite shoulder on a quartering away shot. She only went about 70 yards. Unfortunately I could never find by arrow. I don't know if if was partially hanging out the backside of just got hidden in the grass but I never found it.

Nice.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Looks like a beauty and a good sized cow. Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Hiphellcat View Post
                            Bow Bandit,

Thank you,

Josh
                            Conrats on the double draw, I wish I could help you out with laguna Atascosa but I have almost no actual info from that track, As far at East lake I have some good info on it, Ill send you my # so that we can talk over the phone and better explain the area to you.

Comment

Thank you, I will will give you a call!

Comment

Looks like the East Lake hunts are moved over to La Sal Del Rey... The place has never been hunted since it became a refuge many moons ago..

Comment

Working...
                                X