First bow buck what a doozie.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so after over a year of being a member I have figured out how to download pictures. Lucky for you guys I have a great story to tell. I have bow hunted for 21 yrs. Some years harder than others but always found time for the woods. I have hunted public land from the LBJ grasslands to the red river corp land and I have been on several nice leases here in north central TX. Recently I have been blessed with a friendship that has allowed me access to some fine hunting land in north TX along the red river valley on both the Texas and Oklahoma side. Small farms 450 and 500 acre farms but prime property with genetics that are superb. I have hunted the TX farm for the last 2 yrs and seen many nice deer, both on camera and in person. Yesterday as I was out at the farm (after hours of sitting in a mediation all morning with attorneys and a bitter ex wife with a five year grudge dragging along) I decided to get away for the rest of the day. My purpose was solely to get the kids set up for this upcoming weekend. After getting some things squared away I decided to ask my father in law if he wouldn't mind picking the kids up from school as I was crunched for time on getting back to town to get them. He agreed and I got my things together and changed clothes for a quickly decided evening hunt. With a nice calm cool north west wind I decided to hunt my cottonwood stand. A huge cottonwood along an old dry sandy creek bed that's in a quite corner of the property. In this area the creek bed sits in a bowl if you will that is a drop off from the surrounding area like it's own little bottom and the deer come down and pass through this area quite frequently as they feel safe there. But so far this year I have gotten only a handful of pig and doe pictures so far and zero bucks. So with doubt but pleasure of being outdoors I walk in with the wind in my face completely cautious and quite right about 2:15pm and as I make it down the bank drop off into the bowl I notice there are hogs rooting along the dry sandy creek bed. I was 5 yds from my tree and 20 yds from these pigs. I knocked an arrow and decided I would pick a small smoker sized pig and take him out. The shot never presented itself and the pigs moved along down the creek bed. I quietly got into my stand and got situated. With the hogs on my mind I was banking on them to come back by or for more to follow behind. With this mind set I was being careless and just too comfortable moving around and messing with things in my pack. About 50 mins into sitting on the stand I noticed a nice buck drop down into the bowl to my left coming in with the wind to his back and in my face only 30 yds away. "WOW" a nice buck I have never seen before not one of our regulars and for sure a beautiful symmetrical chocolate horned 10 pt. Not the biggest I have ever watched come in and pass by but something about this guy drew me to him and in my heart "this was my buck" something special that connected me to him and made me decide right then he was the one. I guessed him to be around 5 yrs old but even when I was trying to process my pecking order my brain reconfigured and said "this is your buck!" I drew on him as he came directly towards me at 25 yds. head down as he was making his way, " but what if he keeps coming he will be directly under me or so parallel I won't get a clear shot?" I got so worked up i let my bow down as my arms went limp... "oh gosh he's gonna see me, get it together Miguel!" I take a deep breath and draw my Mathews VXR back with ease this time and a calm peace comes over me as I get him in the peep with the pin on his shoulder as if none if it were there. I "blah" at him and he stops with his right side hard quartering towards me at 16 yds. SHWAAK!!! I see the glowing green lumenock sink right behind the shoulder in the 10 ring! Complete pass through! The magical buck who came in so confident walked out the same way. With a little side step as a dancing horse does and a light trot he left as if nothing happened. Immediately my mind starts tricking me... "oh lord did I miss?, did i not hit him where i thought, why did he not jump or run?" I sat there 25 ft up in the giant cottonwood playing the whole scenario over and over in my head for the next 30 mins. Making myself sick I decided to go down and sneak to my arrow that I could clearly see was covered in what looked to be blood. I climb down quietly and get to my arrow with the knock still glowing both expandable blades of the grim reaper hybrid extended.... but this was not blood but vial from stomach contents!!! "Oh gosh I gut shot him, I knew I shouldn't have shot this buck, why did I not let him pass?" And a voice in my head says again "that's your buck, do what's right" so I back off and go climb back into the stand and sit with trying to flood my thoughts with anything but this beautiful buck I just mamed. One hour I sat there sick to my stomach playing it over and over in my head. I decided to go back to my arrow and see if there is any blood within view "maybe that will give me an idea if he's bleeding or not." I see some speckles but no buckets of red on the leaf covered sand bed. Hoof prints were all I really noticed and they went around the bend of the bowl so I walked another 5 yds in their direction in hopes to see some decent blood. "OH GOD HE'S RIGHT THERE 20 YDS UP THE CREEK BED!!" But remember my arrow was a true story of a gut shot so I knew he was just laying there waiting for me to approach him so he could run off and never be seen again. I sat there in the sand with my binoculars and watched him for 20 minutes to make sure he did not move, not a breath or an ear twitch nor a blink of an eye. I moved in, but with caution. I threw a small stick at his head and no movement... as I got to him I seen the entrance right where i had seen it go in right tight behind the shoulder was a wound i could put 3 or 4 fingers in. I knew with a hole like that in that spot he was DRT! The stomach vial was the result of the exit as the black eagle outlaw tipped with the grim reaper hybrid found it's way through his front end and traveled long ways to exit his belly just before the left hind quarter. He was dead when he fell just 20 yds from where he trotted off from the shot. "WOW, thank you God for my buck" I sat there with him and admired his beauty, I replayed the scenario over, this time with the facts that the evidence upheld and i dismissed the negative sick feeling i had carried just minutes ago. I immediately called the land owner and let him know "I got a nice one" he asked which one was it (as I have all the regulars named) I told him "he's a stranger I've never seen him before." He asks "how big" I replied "I don't know he's a beautiful 10 pt" and I immediately went back to doubting myself with trying to explain to this farming cowboy (who cares nothing for deer hunting) how I thought he was an older deer (as i have passed on nicer younger deer) but now here I am double guessing my decision. He replied "who cares you earned him, you have worked hard for a deer like that congratulations, you'll get a bigger one next year" my mind went to ease as now I could quit being worried about all the negative scenarios I kept beating myself up with... maybe it was the stress from my start of the day may lay with the lawyers or maybe I was just simply in shock. Because after 20 years of being patient and just enjoying Gods creations I FINALLY GOT MY FIRST (AND BEST) BOW BUCK who I have given the name "THE STRANGER"... 10/28/2020 3:11PM

Last edited by M.LUNA; 10-29-2020, 09:37 PM.

[ATTACH]1025854[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1025855[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1025856[/ATTACH]

Comment

Awesome!!!

Congrats on the first bow buck. He’s a good one! I enjoyed the recap and the
      VXR/Grim Reaper Hybrid is a deadly combo. My favorite setup...

Comment

Congrats great buck !!
        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That's a good un!
          Congrats

Comment

Great buck and story! Congrats on a dang good looking deer

Comment

Great Buck, congrats!

Comment

Man that’s a great buck!Congrats

Comment

Awesome deer, congrats!

Comment

Awesome buck- great write up too

Comment

Heck of a buck
                      You’re ruined

Comment

Congrats! Nice buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s a dandy congrats

Comment

Nice buck, congrats

Comment

Congrats! Awesome first bow buck he’s a big one!

Comment

Working...
                              X