Question about tracking stolen vehicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about tracking stolen vehicles

I can track my Ford F-150 on my phone, so how do they steal them and get away with it, and is there any advantage to an airtag over the standard tracking in the vehicle?

Most car thieves know how to disable the factory tracking devices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They get out of jail the next day if caught here in H-town.
      There is no reason not to steal these days.

Crime pays.....

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
        Most car thieves know how to disable the factory tracking devices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        This, and they can do it quickly.

Comment

The new BMW has a hotline to call if stolen. They take over the car - lock the perp inside - pull over - and wait for the cops.
          The Tundra and Lexus I put trackers on...

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
            is there any advantage to an airtag over the standard tracking in the vehicle?
            Just an additional step to take to assist with locating / recovering your vehicle. Airtags need to be well hidden , difficult to locate.

Consider modifying them to disconnect the little speaker inside of them.

I will add this - if everyone here gets a 4 pack airtag and deploys them, we would have fewer 'they got me' posts and more live hunting posts.

Btw Samsung has trackers too.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

You can also get a 3rd party gps tracker like SPOT trace. I’m looking at this for my boat that’s stored at a storage place most of the time.

Comment

The good ones know how to disable the factory stuff. We have equipment with factory gps, still add our own hidden units.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                  The good ones know how to disable the factory stuff. We have equipment with factory gps, still add our own hidden units.
                  Hidden units are a bonus, but I get the feeling law enforcement can’t or will not really do much .
                  I was hunting with a guy who got notified that two pieces of heavy machinery were on I-35 S heading to Mexico and he and the GPS service couldn’t get any type of LE department to stop the trucks hauling the dozer and maintainer.
                  How hard could it be to stop 2 18 wheelers with a dozer?

Then we had the guy on here tracking stolen cable X-ray and the police kinda just 1/2 arse respond, it took agdog to track the stuff down .

When my truck was burglarized in Houston 100% of it was on CCTV and both HPD & HCSD didn’t bother to even call me back much less try to retrieve anything from tracking
                  Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 09-22-2022, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                    Hidden units are a bonus, but I get the feeling law enforcement can’t or will not really do much .
                    I was hunting with a guy who got notified that two pieces of heavy machinery were on I-35 S heading to Mexico and he and the GPS service couldn’t get any type of LE department to stop the trucks hauling the dozer and maintainer.

Then we had the guy on here tracking stolen cable X-ray and the police kinda just 1/2 arse respond, it took agdog to track the stuff down .

When my truck was burglarized in Houston 100% of it was on CCTV and both HPD & HCSD didn’t bother to even call me back much less try to retrieve anything from tracking
                    We've only tried to get police involved once when the gps of a stolen machine was pinging in a neighborhood in Houston. The only place we couldn't see was in a locked garage. Officer told me he couldn't even go knock on the door to talk to the homeowner because it had a 3' fence with a gate.

We've recovered 4 machines ourselves over the last few years that would be long gone without gps.

Another a few weeks ago was in a garage in an apartment complex. Woman over the complex told me I could bring the swat team and she still wouldn't open the garage for me to get the machine.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                      We've only tried to get police involved once when the gps of a stolen machine was pinging in a neighborhood in Houston. The only place we couldn't see was in a locked garage. Officer told me he couldn't even go knock on the door to talk to the homeowner because it had a 3' fence with a gate.

We've recovered 4 machines ourselves over the last few years that would be long gone without gps.

Another a few weeks ago was in a garage in an apartment complex. Woman over the complex told me I could bring the swat team and she still wouldn't open the garage for me to get the machine.
                      I have no clue why an officer thinks he can’t knock on a door.

If the public can legally walk up and knock, so can the officer.

Comment

lol officer can’t knock on a door. He probably seriously thinks that after everything going on with the fuzz. There are first time criminals every day that commit grand theft auto. There’s also really dumb repeat criminals especially in Houston . This tech will help get your car back from those. The smart criminals no or they are smart enough to not want to steal that particular vehicle make model until they are more confident disabling

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post
                          The new BMW has a hotline to call if stolen. They take over the car - lock the perp inside - pull over - and wait for the cops.
                          The Tundra and Lexus I put trackers on...
                          I'd pay for a BMW if that comes with the option to lock them in with no AC

Comment

There was a little more involvement on the x-ray deal

Comment

When my daughter is as at Texas Tech, thieves broke into her apartment and stole all the electronic devices, including her MacBook Pro, which happened to have been enabled with a tracking system. So, using her iPhone, she tracked her laptop to a residence on the other side of the tracks, then called the police.

The police responded and told her that, in spite of the fact that her phone had located her laptop, a GPS-indicated location did not meet the requirements for probable cause.

I have to wonder if this may be the case for those of you who were dismissed or ignored by your local law enforcement offices.

Comment

Working...
                              X