Right Handed, Left Eye Dominant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right Handed, Left Eye Dominant

My 9 year old son is right handed and left eye dominant. Its been extremely frustrating. A rifle at range has been out of the question up to this point but he's ok with a crossbow as long as I put an eye patch over his left eye and he has a little time. He's even shot a few deer but its time for him to learn to shoot a rifle. In anyone's experience am I better to just go ahead and let him learn to shoot left handed? I tried that at 1st but abandoned it fast because it was a mess.

I have a buddy that is the same way. As soon as his dad figured it out when he was younger everything totally changed. He even shoots a compound lefty. Have patience and burn some 22 ammo getting him straightened out. Start him with a red dot, easy to aim and use.

Comment

I am right handed left eye dominant and just close my left eye while shooting a rifle with no problems. I have most of my problems shooting a shotgun, I'm one dove per box of shells on a good day.

Comment

I'm the same as your son and have always shot left handed with guns and bows. Feels more comfortable/natural to me. Only downside is finding left handed equipment.

Comment

I'm right handed and left eye dominant. However, I think I became left eye dominant cause as a kid I couldn't hold up my brothers BB gun with my left hand. So I held it up with my right and shot left handed. Shoot pool left handed as well.

I think I would try to let him shoot a rifle left handed. As well as a bow.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
            I have a buddy that is the same way. As soon as his dad figured it out when he was younger everything totally changed. He even shoots a compound lefty. Have patience and burn some 22 ammo getting him straightened out. Start him with a red dot, easy to aim and use.
            I've been able to bottle my frustration knowing if he sees it I might push him away from wanting to learn. Its HARD though. I cant even imagine what that would be like.

Comment

My son is 7 and the same way. As soon as I figured out the issue I started teaching him to shoot lefty. He hasn't shot any large calibers, but it is starting to feel natural to him with his pellet gun and bow.

Comment

My wife and middle daughter are both right handed but left eye dominant. My wife is able to close her left eye and shoot fine but my daughter never could. She has learned to shoot left handed and shoots well.

Comment

Yes sir the best thing to do to support his marksman abilities is to teach him to shoot left handed. It will be a slight learning curve but it will really benefit him in the long run.

Comment

I shoot guns and bows lefty and I'm right handed. Don't fight it. He should start shooting lefty now. I was the exact same way and found out at the same age as your son. This is the perfect time to make the switch as he does not have bad habits yet. Trust me!

Comment

I’m right handed and left eye dominant.. I started shooting left handed when I was a little kid.. I actually prefer shooting right handed rifles left handed

Comment

He can overcome his dominant hand but not his dominant eye. Better to teach him left handed IMO

Comment

I'm the same way- great for baseball, hard to shoot as a kid.
                          I learned to shoot left handed and now have all of my bolt actions in lefty. Once I made the switch it was easy and now is as natural as anything with my right hand.

Comment

Originally posted by jt400 View Post
                            I've been able to bottle my frustration knowing if he sees it I might push him away from wanting to learn. Its HARD though. I cant even imagine what that would be like.
                            If it frustrates you let someone else do some of the beginning teaching. Set back and watch a friend help him for a while. Then you dont get frustrated and he will listen to instruction a little better. I know it is not the same but my daughter is left handed and will only shoot a righty gun. She doesnt like the bolt being on the other side. She also listens to my dads instructions more than mine even though we are saying the same thing. Once he gets it its all down hill and all he has to work on is accuracy.

Oh and when he is learning use something fun at a closer distance and gradually move them out. Put some food coloring in water bottles and let him blow them up. It is an instant reward and all he has to do is be close.
                            Last edited by bowaddict40; 07-05-2022, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Let him shoot left-handed.
                              I am that way as well. The only things I do left-handed are shoot guns/bows, write, and eat. I do everything else right-handed.

And I've never shot a left-handed gun. Wouldn't know how to operate one.

Comment

Working...
                              X