• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 13 hens and one rooster.

They are Black Jersey Giants

Jumbo eggs with some been double yoke.

Comment

Just got a batch of meat chickens. Does anyone around Houston have a plucker?

Dont really want to do this by hand. Got 10 this go but plan on keeping up with it throughout the year.

Comment

Anybody want a Silkie rooster? He's a jerk.

Eat him, Fight Him. I don't care.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by treyro View Post
          anybody want a silkie rooster? He's a jerk.

Eat him, fight him. I don't care.
          😂

Comment

lost 7 of 8 (including 2 roosters) last night to a bobcat. Was able to get a few shots off but no confirmed hits. sat out for a bit with NV tonight but he/she didn't come in for the 8th.

been a rough road with the free range chickens, this is after losing 6 to a raccoon early this year.

Comment

I’ve got some 6 week old chicks we are about ready to add to my flock. With a comb this big at 6 weeks is this almost for certain a rooster or do some breeds just develop combs earlier than others? It’s a silver leghorn.

The others barely have one at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Rounder; 09-22-2022, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rounder View Post
                I’ve got some 6 week old chicks we are about ready to add to my flock. With a comb this big at 6 weeks is this almost for certain a roosters or do some breeds just develop combs earlier than others? It’s a silver leghorn.

Quite possibly a rooster. If you already have a rooster, get ready for that rooster to meet it’s maker.
                The last batch of pullets we bought, one ended up a rooster. We keep them separate from the flock till they are about 5-6 months old. We let them mingle during the day, but they always went back to their separate coops. Our rooster always chased the new rooster when we let the younger ones out. The new guy was always able to outrun the older rooster till one day he cornered him in his pen. I heard the commotion, but before I could get down there the damage was done.

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
                  lost 7 of 8 (including 2 roosters) last night to a bobcat. Was able to get a few shots off but no confirmed hits. sat out for a bit with NV tonight but he/she didn't come in for the 8th.

been a rough road with the free range chickens, this is after losing 6 to a raccoon early this year.

We’ve lost north of 40 this year. I put a camera up and a fox got 17 chicks in 2 mouthfuls over ~15min. I don’t have any idea how the fox managed to shovel the chicks into its mouth. The others went to opossums and hawks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Ok, chicken farmers....we added 5 bantys to our coop and I need a better watering solution. They just cant figure out the little red cup deals from TSC. I have them attached to a 15 gallon bucket at a good height. I really despise the float operated buckets. They never last long before they begin to leak.

whats next?

Comment

When we lived in College Station you couldn’t have any. Especially a rooster. I get that part. In Bryan you could have chickens. I still think about getting some here in Katy but don’t want the chicken shat all over my pavers and patio. I know we will wish we had some before this is all over.

Comment

Originally posted by basschsr View Post
                        So we have 20 something but there is one I’m not sure pf breed. Can someone tell me what this one is?
                        That looks like a Golden Laced Wyandotte

Comment

Originally posted by Rounder View Post
                          I’ve got some 6 week old chicks we are about ready to add to my flock. With a comb this big at 6 weeks is this almost for certain a rooster or do some breeds just develop combs earlier than others? It’s a silver leghorn.

Thats a Roo. Look at the neck feathers. They are coming in long before the other in your pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                            Ok, chicken farmers....we added 5 bantys to our coop and I need a better watering solution. They just cant figure out the little red cup deals from TSC. I have them attached to a 15 gallon bucket at a good height. I really despise the float operated buckets. They never last long before they begin to leak.

whats next?

This is what I had to go to for my Bantams. I have it up on bricks to keep it somewhat clean. On the ground they kick dirt and junk in it. They make a 5 gallon one but its a pain to pull apart and clean when you need to

Comment

Originally posted by locolobo View Post
                              Cities, counties and HOA's can and some will make the restrictions so that it will be next to impossible to keep them. As in the coop/run must be 200 feet from any residence when the normal sized lot for that subdivision is 100 X 100 feet. Others I have seen are no insect pests, no smell can be detected within (so many) feet from the coop/run, You can clean the area 3 times a day and an inspector can still find Some smell and/or insects any time. Check out Backyardchickens.com for a list of state regulations.
                              Correct its the Coop that they can and do regulate not the birds them selves. You can have them free range in your backyard. You will not have flower beds or grass over time but in the beginning you will have a beautiful yard. They eat all the bugs first. Then the weeds.. Then everything else.

If you were to have a rabbit hutch that they use as a coop you sir have found the loop hole. Rabbits are not regulated. You can have a Parrot in a cage but not a chicken... So if you build a cage for other birds and just have chickens in there you are fine.

A does eggs to the neighbors works wonders for those that might be on fence about it

Comment

Originally posted by powderburner View Post
                                https://www.amazon.com/HARRIS-100026...79&sr=8-8&th=1

This is what I had to go to for my Bantams. I have it up on bricks to keep it somewhat clean. On the ground they kick dirt and junk in it. They make a 5 gallon one but its a pain to pull apart and clean when you need to
                                Cant get those to last more than a year. The rubber gasket deal gives and water just runs over

Comment

Working...
                                X