Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 04-12-2021, 08:23 PM   #1
Davik
Ten Point

Default 9mm questions

Im considering starting to carry my 9 instead of a revolver...is a 9 viable? Does it have enough punch to save me from an attacker or a mad hog?
Davik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 08:25 PM   #2
Stan R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Madison and Colorado County

Yes. Advances in Ammo make it a player. Many Peace Officers carry a 9MM. Including myself. You can get more rounds on target and faster.
Stan R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 08:32 PM   #3
coker737
Ten Point

Hunt In: My KB Ranch. Rocksprings, TX

Trust my 9mm everyday
coker737 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 08:38 PM   #4
chicken fried
Eight Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

I carry a Glock 19 every day. I have full confidence in the pistol and the round.
chicken fried is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 08:41 PM   #5
Davik
Ten Point

Okay...what ammo would you recommend for hog protection?
Davik is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 08:52 PM   #6
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davik View Post
Im considering starting to carry my 9 instead of a revolver...is a 9 viable? Does it have enough punch to save me from an attacker or a mad hog?

Two very different targets that IMO should be addressed with different chambering s and for sure different ammo choices.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 08:58 PM   #7
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davik View Post
Okay...what ammo would you recommend for hog protection?

I asked a similar question recently and on the recommendation of many folks on the forum, I carry 9mm FMJ for hog tracking at night using a gunfighter chest holster for easy access. The FMJ, since I will more than likely aiming at an animal's head that will be coming at me or facing me, I wanted something that will get through the goods and turn off the light switch at close range. That was the overwhelming choice

Mike D had a more expensive recommendation with some different material and a flat nose. I'll see if I can pull up but it was extremely hard to find at the time so I went with the majority.

(Hard cast lead it was)

Here is the thread https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...enetration+pig

Last edited by Smart; 04-12-2021 at 09:07 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 09:02 PM   #8
Smart
Pope & Young

Name:  Chest holster.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  95.3 KB
Old 04-12-2021, 09:07 PM   #9
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

Yeah I don't trust a pistol for hog tracking. I've had FMJ 9mm rounds skip off the front skull of big pigs in traps.
I'm tracking a big pig I have an SBR AR15 with an Eotech sight and a light. Add a suppressor and you are set up to have punch a pistol round just does not possess.
For people the 9mm will do. Low enough recoil to manage multiple shots and easy enough to have higher capacity mags.
I'm a fan of Federal Hydroshocks.
Although I'd prefer the AR for that too.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 09:13 PM   #10
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

My buddy loaded this sow up with 9mm loads a week or so ago. She bled out. He was using high priced defense ammo.

bboswell has it right. Humans know that you pulled a gun, they know guns kill, a pizzed off hog doesnít care about any of that.
Attached Images

Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 09:50 PM   #11
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
My buddy loaded this sow up with 9mm loads a week or so ago. She bled out. He was using high priced defense ammo.

bboswell has it right. Humans know that you pulled a gun, they know guns kill, a pizzed off hog doesnít care about any of that.

Beyond that a hog is much tougher and requires a deeper penetrating bullet. That same bullet on a human produces massive over penetration endangering bystanders.

For hogs the FMJ or hard cast Smart mentioned is OK. For defensive Golddot or HST get my vote
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 09:59 PM   #12
Maddox
Ten Point

I carry Winchester Ranger +p in my P365XL. Ammo has come a long way over the last few years. I used to carry 45s only. Now I prefer something more concealable with a higher round count.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 10:09 PM   #13
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
Yeah I don't trust a pistol for hog tracking. I've had FMJ 9mm rounds skip off the front skull of big pigs in traps.
I'm tracking a big pig I have an SBR AR15 with an Eotech sight and a light. Add a suppressor and you are set up to have punch a pistol round just does not possess.
For people the 9mm will do. Low enough recoil to manage multiple shots and easy enough to have higher capacity mags.
I'm a fan of Federal Hydroshocks.
Although I'd prefer the AR for that too.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Yeah tracking hogs for me are getting buckshot or 10mm, 9mm is fine for people with good ammo though. I've tried to finish off a few boars still alive after taking an arrow with 9mm and I can't say I remember ever being able to execute one. To be fair all three were huge but darn near point blank to the cranium didn't seem to do anything. One of them I did a Euro on with no holes.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 10:46 PM   #14
das7777
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

My 9mm Saved my wife and my life!!!
das7777 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-12-2021, 11:01 PM   #15
Shinesintx
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Franklin County

No way am I carrying 9mm for hogs. Iíd much rather carry a 12g with buckshot.
Shinesintx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 05:21 AM   #16
SJP51
Six Point

Hunt In: Menard, Nacogdoches, Bryan

I carry a 38 spec snubby, 380ACP, or 9mm. All will work for self defense in most situations. Admit that the 380 ACP is light, but works well when you need really small.

For hogs? None of the above is a sure stopper. I've center punched hogs with 30-30 and 30-06 and still seen them run 100+ yards. A MAD AS HECK HOG is hard to stop. I won't carry a large handgun as I get tired of the weight. So I compromise and do carry the 9mm. Better than nothing.
SJP51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 05:31 AM   #17
TxMedic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kimble County

I have several 9mm pistols that I carry on rotation. At the ranch, I’m carrying a Smith 686 .357 mag.
TxMedic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 06:27 AM   #18
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

At lease I normally carry my 10mm with Underwood full power 200gr hard cast bullets. A few months ago I put a boar down at dusk with one shot at 25yds. Finished it in the head from 5yds and there wasn't no bounce off.
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 06:45 AM   #19
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX, North TX, & SE Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Man I like that style of holster for bowhunting. What brand is it? Where did you get it?
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 07:06 AM   #20
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan R View Post
Yes. Advances in Ammo make it a player. Many Peace Officers carry a 9MM. Including myself. You can get more rounds on target and faster.
Pretty much this

As for defense rounds, Id stay away from anything with the pretty little rubber crap jammed off in the hollow point. I venture to say Ive prolly seen more shot people than 99.9% of this forum and that critical defense stuff sucks!! I dont care what its chambered in.

Ive stalked and shot into a sounder of pigs with a glock 19. I ran 6 or 7 rounds into a sow before she finally keeled over. Id do it again if thats all the gun I had but Im pretty good about carrying my shortly .223 now days
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 07:21 AM   #21
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineywoods View Post
Man I like that style of holster for bowhunting. What brand is it? Where did you get it?

Kenai chest holster made by Gunfighter Inc. itís pricey but itís the perfect bowhunting pistol holster for me. easy access to the gun that doesnít get snagged on brush walking through tracking.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:21 AM   #22
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX, North TX, & SE Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Kenai chest holster made by Gunfighter Inc. itís pricey but itís the perfect bowhunting pistol holster for me. easy access to the gun that doesnít get snagged on brush walking through tracking.
Thanks. Looks like the ideal setup for me.
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 10:02 AM   #23
billfromtx
Pope & Young

Is a 9mm viable? Most Law enforcement agencies carry a 9mm, along with most militaries in the free world. I’d say you’re good! Lol
billfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 10:05 AM   #24
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

I’ve finished a lot of hogs off with 9mm, and many of them up close and personal. I do a lot of night hunting with thermal, and when you’re shooting 20+ hogs every time you go out and many on the run it’s part of the game. That said I do it in open fields where it’s easier to get out of a hogs path. If I was in brush where side stepping isn’t as easy I wouldn’t feel comfortable with a 9. It’s not adequate in most instances, but it does the trick with 2-3 well placed shots. Earholes work the most reliably, but that’s hard to do on a charging hog. Not so much when they’re wounded and having trouble moving. FMJs suck more for earholes shots in my experience, but better for frontal skull shots. I usually just rock Critical Duty as it’s what’s in my carry pistol. Sometimes I remember to grab a couple mags of cheap FMJ before heading out.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 11:14 AM   #25
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Depends on ammo you use. 9mm FMJ is the ice pick of pistol ammo. Sure you can kill with an ice pick if you can stab it enough times. I walked up on a wounded sow and it took 7 rounds from the Lady Smith to finally put her down. Last round went behind the ear. The other 6 didn't penetrate more than 2" thru the top of her shoulders while she had my leg pinned between my truck door and running board. She was a biggun and highly pizzed off because I had already broke her back leg with double O buckshot. I left the drawers I was wearing under a flat rock somewhere in Hood County.

For self defense FMJ is better to penetrate multiple layers of heavy winter clothing. HP or flat nose is better in warm weather where clothing is thin. Either way the firepower and staying on target is the advantage of a nine as most hold a lot of rounds. I carry a Sig P320 M18 9mm. If it came in 45 cal and held 18 rounds I would have one in a heartbeat. Bigger is always better when it comes to bullets.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 11:31 AM   #26
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

I've put 5 rounds of 44 mag into a pig before it stopped. Not sure any pistol is a mag hog pistol.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 11:39 AM   #27
Arrowthreat
Ten Point

Hunt In: Fannin County

Yes it will. There has been extensive testing on modern 9mm ammunition that has been done by multiple agencies in the past decade that debunks most of the old rumors about 9mm. The FBI has their results published. If you can shoot a .40 or .45 good, you can shoot a 9mm a lot better. Round count and accuracy is key. Spend some time watching cop shootouts. They're all over the internet. Even with poorly placed shots, they're dropping suspects with Speer gold dot 124 +P's and Glock 17's. A lot of these shootouts these officers are doing magazine changes with 17-18 round magazines. More ammo, the better.

I've killed pigs with 9mm, but I usually prefer my Glock 20 10mm.

Last edited by Arrowthreat; 04-13-2021 at 11:42 AM.
Arrowthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 09:45 PM   #28
TacticalCowboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Southern Taylor County, Tom Green County

No. You will get killed in the streetz.
TacticalCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 10:00 PM   #29
Clay C
Pope & Young

Any gun you carry on your person is going to be a compromise of either Comfort, capacity, or power. That being said, 9mm is plenty.

I think youíll be fine.

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/def...#axzz6ryVaaHUq
Clay C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2021, 07:04 AM   #30
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Id like to counter the FMJ for carry ammo. Dont do that. At all.

Unless you want to worry about zipping a round thru the bad guy and killing granny groceries down the streetz
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2021, 08:36 AM   #31
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Id like to counter the FMJ for carry ammo. Dont do that. At all.

Unless you want to worry about zipping a round thru the bad guy and killing granny groceries down the streetz
And that's what my LTC instructor said and why he called them ice picks. He was/is a DPS officer so I believe he has the knowledge to state that. He also stated that if you do carry FMJ to only do it in cold weather where an attacker may be wearing heavy or multiple layers of clothing to help prevent pass thru bullets from hitting someone else.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2021, 08:40 AM   #32
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

Ammo in stock natchez now....
https://www.natchezss.com/cci-blazer...oose-pack.html
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top