headlight lense restore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

headlight lense restore?

Wife's 2009 Corolla. Headlight lenses getting cloudy and not as much light on road as I would like. Have heard that most of the commercial stuff is only a very temporary fix. Aside from buying new lenses (which can get expensive) what products have been used by the GS and results.
    PS: this vehicle stays under the boat shed, in the shade when not in use. So it is not permanently out in the sun.

I have actually heard of folks using toothpaste to buff it out. Tagged

Comment

Deep woods off with deet and a microfiber towel.

Repeat often.

Comment

I've seen videos on sanding and polishing the lens and then spraying with a clear coat

Comment

Carparts.com has 09 Corolla headlight replacements for 39.99 I replaced my daughters Nissan Altima with their replacements recently. I tried the toothpaste and microfiber and it helps but it does not last. Buy some new headlights

Comment

Did this on my 05 silverado WOW! and easy ...

3 Minute Headlight Restoration

on utube

Comment

Mother’s Mag & Aluminum Polish. If you have a buffer or a drill attachment it makes it way easier. Works wonders.

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W83P9VjQ7E"]CAR WIZARD shows how to restore headlights cheap! And how to replace headlamps on '04 Turbo S Beetle - YouTube[/ame]

the above guy is very knowledgeable starting at about 9:30 he restores some VW lenses with break fluid and scotchbrite

WARNING break fluid will trash your paint if you try this method you should take the lenses out of your car like he does.....It will screw your paint even a little bit so you should clean them thoroughly before you reinstall them

Comment

Any of those "oil" treatments are just temporary fixes. You can repeat as needed but I wouldn't do the brake fluid thing. Too much trouble to remove them every time.

Comment

We used a 3M headlight restore kit from O'rielly Auto on my sons 2010 Nissan Frontier. They were totally yellowed and hazed over. They looked like new when we were done and still looked that way a year later when we sold it. If I remember correctly they had little packets of gel you smeared all over the lights, then a couple different buffing disks. Probably took an hour total because you had to let it sit between buffings.

Comment

Originally posted by cashcropper View Post
                      Carparts.com has 09 Corolla headlight replacements for 39.99 I replaced my daughters Nissan Altima with their replacements recently. I tried the toothpaste and microfiber and it helps but it does not last. Buy some new headlights
                      Best course of attack right here. Much better finish and lasts a lot longer....

Comment

I used 3M boat fiberglass restorer and it took them to brand new in 3 minutes. Mine were about the worst case you could get to...couldn't even see the bulb anymore.

Litterly ANYTHING with a very fine grit in it seems to be the key.

Comment

Most headlights can be replaced for $100 or less on Amazon. Took me less time to replace them than it would take to buff them out on my wifes honda.

Comment

Waxing compound and a buffer

Comment

I’ve tried several different methods and have had limited to zero success, at least long term anyway.

I just bought aftermarket (TYC brand) housings for about $150 each for our 2008 Camry. They’ve been on there for at least 5 years so far and still look and function well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X