Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 02-19-2021, 09:13 AM   #1
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Default Whole home generator warnings.

1. Do your research. This is a luxury item, not a necessity. Dont buy cheap. When you want it to work, it better work.

2. If they tell you 20kw, buy 25kw. They are notorious for selling too small of units that wont power everything.

3. Dont put all your eggs in one basket. Have a backup portable unit. I know several who have a generator and have never had an issue, and become totally reliant on it. They work until they dont, and you are then caught with your pants down. Imagine 2 days, no nothing, and it is 12 degrees outside, and you didnt prep anything because your 100kw generator that has always worked was going to be there for you....and its not.

What I have learned from this storm is to not be solely dependent on any one item. Have multiple sources of power, fuel, or whatever else it is. Dont get too comfortable with one thing. Dont abandon your house in the cold as it is much worse than the heat. In the summer time, I would leave during a hurricane because I figured I cant control much and all I lose is my food. In the winter, fight like heck to keep everything from freezing and busting and you are good.

I got lucky and doomsday prepped during for your new presidents inauguration and had what I needed to keep going during this storm. I'll buy a few more small items, but I like being diversified. Solar, 2 small generators, propane, natural gas, etc...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 09:18 AM   #2
WItoTX
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho

Yep. I had 5 different plans in case something in another plan failed. Guess what? We made it to plan #5.

Read Extreme Ownership. It lays out pretty well how to prepare for everything. I hope Greg Abbott reads this book. Never seen a politician caught so far on his heels ever before.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 09:20 AM   #3
Texas452
Eight Point

Hunt In: Burleson Coleman Leon counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
1. Do your research. This is a luxury item, not a necessity. Dont buy cheap. When you want it to work, it better work.

2. If they tell you 20kw, buy 25kw. They are notorious for selling too small of units that wont power everything.

3. Dont put all your eggs in one basket. Have a backup portable unit. I know several who have a generator and have never had an issue, and become totally reliant on it. They work until they dont, and you are then caught with your pants down. Imagine 2 days, no nothing, and it is 12 degrees outside, and you didnt prep anything because your 100kw generator that has always worked was going to be there for you....and its not.

What I have learned from this storm is to not be solely dependent on any one item. Have multiple sources of power, fuel, or whatever else it is. Dont get too comfortable with one thing. Dont abandon your house in the cold as it is much worse than the heat. In the summer time, I would leave during a hurricane because I figured I cant control much and all I lose is my food. In the winter, fight like heck to keep everything from freezing and busting and you are good.

I got lucky and doomsday prepped during for your new presidents inauguration and had what I needed to keep going during this storm. I'll buy a few more small items, but I like being diversified. Solar, 2 small generators, propane, natural gas, etc...

And lots of wood
Itís best to have a wood burner stove on hand and lots of wood!
Texas452 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 09:20 AM   #4
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

Quote:

You ainít wrong. That goes for anything though, and not just generators.
TX03RUBI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 09:43 AM   #5
RascalArms
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
You ainít wrong. That goes for anything though, and not just generators.
Amen...be prepared in life IN GENERAL. For the most part, my main goal is to never EVER be dependent on others.
RascalArms is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 09:46 AM   #6
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

I don't know about down there but up here most propane generators are set up to kick on every once in a while automatically for test runs. Staining a log house up here that had one and it would kick on about once a week or so and run just a bit.
The huge backups at UW also kick on every so often to make sure they are ready when needed, they are diesel powered mostly.

Generac is the preferred brand up here for sure.
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 09:46 AM   #7
Reaper
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas452 View Post
And lots of wood

This right here, when all else fails, fire is the fall back.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 09:46 AM   #8
dphillips62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mission Valley, Victoria, and anywhere else I can sling an arrow

I'm looking real hard at them now. My company is a generac dealer so I can get one at 6% above cost. I've been looking at the 22kw whole home guardian and running off of a propane tank. Anyone with experience with generac?
dphillips62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 10:13 AM   #9
Anteloper
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
They are notorious for selling too small of units that wont power everything.
Why would they intentionally sell you a cheaper unit?
Anteloper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 10:14 AM   #10
Hogmauler
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerrville

Nope but our quote for the exact one your talking about came to $11,000.00. Oops didn’t answer your question. We had a Generac on our home in the Wet Mountains outside ofFlorence Colorado. Worked perfectly t when we needed it. You can also get monitoring where it sends alerts to the company if it detects a potential problem.

Last edited by Hogmauler; 02-19-2021 at 10:17 AM.
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 10:20 AM   #11
ken800
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampasas

I had prepped some things, and not others. I've already made a list. I've been wanting a generator for quite some time but can't bring myself to put all my eggs in one basket. I'll probably end up getting a pair of the new 4500w inverter generators from champion that they are releasing this march. They can be bridged. Focus is on heat, water, food, refrigerator, A/C, minimal lighting.
ken800 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 10:23 AM   #12
Roscoe
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell, Hill, Kimble, Navarro Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper View Post
This right here, when all else fails, fire is the fall back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas452 View Post
And lots of wood

Yep, a good wood burner is about as reliable/dependable as you can ask for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Roscoe is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 10:25 AM   #13
Bassdeer
Ten Point

I'll just move to Key West. Tapping out.
Bassdeer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 10:27 AM   #14
Take Dead Aim
Ten Point

The best reason to over size is to allow the generator not to run full throttle all the time. It burns less fuel when it is running lower RPMs. When you oversize you allow it to "idle" when AC, heater, all the bigger items aren't running. The more it idle the better burn rate you have.
Take Dead Aim is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 10:33 AM   #15
denimdeerslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Waller

Just roll with Uncle Ted to Cancun and it will all be fine lol
denimdeerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 10:42 AM   #16
Arrowsmith
OTD - Older than Dirt

Hunt In: Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdeer View Post
I'll just move to Key West. Tapping out.
You will need a generator there much more than in Texas.

Arrowsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 10:58 AM   #17
hopedale
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WMAs

Quote:

hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 11:01 AM   #18
Mojo
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Diego and Hondo

I just ordered (Saturday) a predator 3500watt Inverter...Harbor Freight...most folks call them "Honda Clones"...850$...we got power back though. Alls I know, and my wife said it best, "We have always been flippant about a generator purchase",,,not needing one yet, YET!
Hurricane Hannah had us without power for 2 days, winter storm "Uri" had us out of power and freezing our you know what's off for 2and a half days. Ordered and done. Could've went directly to Store but, nopower and not open obviously. Ordered it, it'll get here next week. i'll be ready for the next loss of power when it happens...Hurricane season, if it happens. Hope all you snowbirds up there stay warm, get you power back soon that don't have it yet. Prayers up to you guys.
Mojo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 11:14 AM   #19
Electrican
Pope & Young

Hunt In: For a place

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post
I don't know about down there but up here most propane generators are set up to kick on every once in a while automatically for test runs. Staining a log house up here that had one and it would kick on about once a week or so and run just a bit.
The huge backups at UW also kick on every so often to make sure they are ready when needed, they are diesel powered mostly.

Not sure about home setups but most of the commercial gensets are on exercise schedule to keep things working and lubed. If your looking at getting one after this I highly recommend getting auto transfer switch and capabilities for exercising these units.
Electrican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 11:17 AM   #20
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:

That just means they will crank. They donít switch over and do a load test. That should be done at least quarterly.

Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 11:38 AM   #21
TripleP
Nubbin' Buck

Hey Brett good to see you old buddy.
TripleP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 11:47 AM   #22
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowsmith View Post
You will need a generator there much more than in Texas.

Dang sure will! Hurricane central.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 11:50 AM   #23
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteloper View Post
That's not what our Generac guy did. We had a survey on EXACTLY what was important to us and deciphered what we need for our . Have not missed a beat in 10.5 years running. Paid for itself probably the 1st year we were here. All my neighbors noticed and bought one also.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:52 AM   #24
Landrover
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RascalArms View Post
Amen...be prepared in life IN GENERAL. For the most part, my main goal is to never EVER be dependent on others.
I was taught that my entire life! Bring it, we are ready!!! I may add a wood stove to my storage building project this summer.....or another Generac for that space and a water well.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:54 AM   #25
bloodstick
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over Texas

Speaking of wood burning stove, anybody know where to find a good one that will fit in a fireplace opening? And do i have to do anything special to the smoke stack? Just install it inside the current fireplace chimney?

I will have a 12KW Champion on order soon. Hopefully i donít get hit with too large a power bill and have to put off the generator a little longer.

We donít have central heat, so 4 space heaters is how we kept the place warm all winter and it worked until now. Supposed to install a new central unit this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bloodstick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 11:56 AM   #26
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
Yep. I had 5 different plans in case something in another plan failed. Guess what? We made it to plan #5.

Read Extreme Ownership. It lays out pretty well how to prepare for everything. I hope Greg Abbott reads this book. Never seen a politician caught so far on his heels ever before.
Maybe plan 3 should be to make sure plans number 1 or 2 work.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 11:56 AM   #27
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pow Pow!

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 11:59 AM   #28
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

Just ordered a 36kw Cummins, going to have a slab poured and insulated 20x20 small building built over it and the well. Will post pics when finished
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 12:01 PM   #29
Richard S.
Eight Point

If your looking at getting one after this I highly recommend getting auto transfer switch and capabilities for exercising these units.

That just means they will crank. They don’t switch over and do a load test. That should be done at least quarterly.

These are important issues. Transfer switch will keep you from loading power on the lines when workers are trying to fix them... Also gens need to be run and loaded with power demand to keep ALL systems functioning. I have an 8KW gen which I have had stored for a need. Well got it out just before storm and it wouldn't start, luckily I didn't need it but now I have to trouble shoot it to get it working again when it warms a little. Thinking of installing a breaker in panel so I can load power direct to panel when I need to. Deffinently going to do regular runs (every 1 to 2 months) once I get it up and running again...
Richard S. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 12:16 PM   #30
K. Lane
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kendall County Texas

Quote:
I agree..... now selling you a 25kw when all you need is a 20 or 22kw is most likely the way it will go
K. Lane is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 12:17 PM   #31
Bro. Bill
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrover View Post
That's not what our Generac guy did. We had a survey on EXACTLY what was important to us and deciphered what we need for our . Have not missed a beat in 10.5 years running. Paid for itself probably the 1st year we were here. All my neighbors noticed and bought one also.

10.5 years same machine??
That speaks volume!
Bro. Bill is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 12:20 PM   #32
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphillips62 View Post
I'm looking real hard at them now. My company is a generac dealer so I can get one at 6% above cost. I've been looking at the 22kw whole home guardian and running off of a propane tank. Anyone with experience with generac?
I read that a 16kw propane whole home generac will burn approximately 1.7 gallons of propane an hour at 50% load. That would get expensive real quick and actually was a deal breaker for me. I'm going to go the big portable route with the plug/breaker switch.
twistedmidnite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #33
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Quote:
So you move forward with the purchase and they make a sell.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #34
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphillips62 View Post
The reviews in general are not good. We have one at the ranch, and it has had lots of issues.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:35 PM   #35
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Quote:

Yes they are set up that way. We have had 2 in our family that will exercise weekly as scheduled, but wont run under a load when needed.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:36 PM   #36
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:

Because so many people are simply looking for the lowest bidder
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 12:39 PM   #37
bloodstick
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedmidnite View Post
I read that a 16kw propane whole home generac will burn approximately 1.7 gallons of propane an hour at 50% load. That would get expensive real quick and actually was a deal breaker for me. I'm going to go the big portable route with the plug/breaker switch.

Yea, i hear that. At 50% load, a 250 gal propane tank would last about 6(ish) days if my math is correct. My only problem with gasoline is having a place to store it or it going bad over time.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:42 PM   #38
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Pow Pow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
Just ordered a 36kw Cummins, going to have a slab poured and insulated 20x20 small building built over it and the well. Will post pics when finished
What do you think the total cost for that is gonna be, including the filled propane tank?

Y'all have lots of natural disasters up that way?
Traildust is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 12:51 PM   #39
bloodstick
Ten Point

Wonder how long the run on generators will last. Probably wonít see any in stores for a while

Old 02-19-2021, 12:53 PM   #40
bloodstick
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
What do you think the total cost for that is gonna be, including the filled propane tank?

Idk about a 36KW, but i see a 30KW Generac from Electric Generators Direct is $9,897. So its around that ballpark. And probably another $2500 for full installation

Old 02-19-2021, 01:01 PM   #41
RMW
Ten Point

Hunt In: Down South

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post

$12,000 generator
$2,500 install
$3000-5000 building

Not far from you probably 50-60 miles but lose electricity quite a bit living out in the country.
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 01:01 PM   #42
ken800
Eight Point

Hunt In: Lampasas

I've gone back and forth on installing a whole home generator and have decided it's just not worth the huge cost. I put in a 2500 gallon water tank that is about 20' of elevation above the house. I also put in a bypass so I go directly from the tank to my house bypassing all pumps/filters. I'll only get about 8-10psi of water pressure but it will give me water for an extended period of time without needing power for the pumps.

That leaves me needing to keep a fridge, portable heater or portable A/C depending on season, coffee pot, and microwave as items I want to run. One of the 4500 inverter types with a 100lb tank on wheels will run for quite a while. I always have at least 2 20-lb tanks for the grill (one in operation and one spare). Perhaps getting a pair of slightly smaller units that can run in parallel would make even more sense as I'd have a backup if one fails...

For cooking, a 15K BTU butane cooktop is safe for indoor cooking and will give me a burner than doesn't need electricity.

Lots of freeze dried foods already stocked up, batteries, candles, water purification, etc. and I'm good to go.
ken800 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 01:04 PM   #43
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMW View Post
This guy here knows what brand to buy. I'm not a dodge guy, but that Cummins is the way to go

Old 02-19-2021, 01:04 PM   #44
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleP View Post
Hey Brett good to see you old buddy.
Hey hey hey! I didn't know you were on here.

Old 02-19-2021, 01:09 PM   #45
TripleP
Nubbin' Buck

Oh yeah!! Really my only form of social media!!
TripleP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 01:53 PM   #46
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Lane View Post
I agree..... now selling you a 25kw when all you need is a 20 or 22kw is most likely the way it will go

And thatís not a bad thing. Less prone to failure if not used at max rated capacity.

Old 02-19-2021, 01:54 PM   #47
Mike D
Pope & Young

Quote:

16kw gas wonít be much of any better on gasoline. Plus you then have to store gas long term which can be problematic as well. Propane or NG is the way to go. You just have to make provisions for it if using propane.

Old 02-19-2021, 02:17 PM   #48
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodstick View Post
Yea, i hear that. At 50% load, a 250 gal propane tank would last about 6(ish) days if my math is correct. My only problem with gasoline is having a place to store it or it going bad over time.

Yea also you have to supply propane for the weekly 30 minute test run. Unless there's a way to not have that happen. A 11000 watt portable will burn about .75 gallon per hour at 50 % load per the specs. I'd rather have to deal with gas occasionally when theres a storm brewing than have to feed a propane beast all the time. I already have a 500 gallon in ground propane tank for my stove and water heater and it sucks filling it a couple times a year. Propane is usually $2.50-3.00 per gallon and who knows what gas will be next winter.
Just my thoughts on it.
twistedmidnite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 02:21 PM   #49
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Yea also you have to supply propane for the weekly 30 minute test run. Unless there's a way to not have that happen. A 11000 watt portable will burn about .75 gallon per hour at 50 % load per the specs. I'd rather have to deal with gas occasionally when theres a storm brewing than have to feed a propane beast all the time. I already have a 500 gallon in ground propane tank for my stove and water heater and it sucks filling it a couple times a year. Propane is usually $2.50-3.00 per gallon and who knows what gas will be next winter.

Just my thoughts on it.

This is the reason I went with a propane company with a keep full program. I get topped off monthly so I keep a good supply on hand and I get a small bill instead of a big hit 2-3 times per year.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-19-2021, 02:30 PM   #50
bloodstick
Ten Point

Quote:
Just my thoughts on it.

I agree. This 250 gal propane tank is my first one i ever owned and i have yet to fill it up. Itís sitting at about 50% capacity right now. Iíve got two gas stations very close (1/4 mile) and have some storage tanks and cans for small usage. About 55 gallons worth. I figure it wonít be too difficult getting fuel a week or so before a hurricane or couple weeks out of an event like this.

Just might invest in a slightly larger storage tank if/when more may be needed.