Lavaca County Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lavaca County Hunting

How's the hunting in Lavaca County, more specifically near Ezzell? Got a buddy who recently bought about 50 acres down there and we are trying to figure out how to approach hunting the property. Not sure on the deer population/quality yet but a few game pics look promising. The hogs seems to be thick unfortunately. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

50 acs won't be much to work with. Since they went AR, there are more deer in the area. I'd say you might be lucky every few yrs and get on a 120/130 buck but they aren't every where. Rut seems to be late Sept early Oct

Comment

Small place hog proof feed pens And no traffic or the deer so
      I'll move somewhere else.

Comment

I hunt in the area, and saying the hogs are thick is an understatement. Rut is early and there is not a lot of big deer in the area. One will show up every now and then, but they're not around every corner. The deer population is good, so seeing deer is not going to be a problem. Good turkey hunting in that area as well. Good luck!

Comment

The primary rut is not sept/oct but rather several weeks later into late oct/early nov.

With alot of deer you may see rutting for 2 months

Comment

Originally posted by tkusak View Post
            I hunt in the area, and saying the hogs are thick is an understatement. Rut is early and there is not a lot of big deer in the area. One will show up every now and then, but they're not around every corner. The deer population is good, so seeing deer is not going to be a problem. Good turkey hunting in that area as well. Good luck!
            Glad to hear the deer population is good, that's encouraging. That's kind of what we're seeing from the cameras as well. I can work with that and at least put a little meat in the freezer while waiting on the big boy.

Comment

Anybody think a food-plot would be worth it??? Would need to be fenced in from the hogs probably. Already have the tractor on the property.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                The primary rut is not sept/oct but rather several weeks later into late oct/early nov.

Primary rut is most certainly late sept/early october. It's just not as visible due to the heat. Most of the activity is at night. The secondary rut is early Nov and a trickle rut for the next couple months due to large doe numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by ccbrown50 View Post
                  Anybody think a food-plot would be worth it??? Would need to be fenced in from the hogs probably. Already have the tractor on the property.

Absolutely worth it! We always plant oats and rye grass. They will come to it when there's a big acorn crop and they aren't hitting corn.

Comment

Originally posted by JSAPP View Post
                    Primary rut is most certainly late sept/early october. It's just not as visible due to the heat. Most of the activity is at night. The secondary rut is early Nov and a trickle rut for the next couple months due to large doe numbers.
                    This. The place I hunt goes dead around mid-November. I hunted about 8 times over Thanksgiving and only saw two baby 8 points.

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post

Over 60+ years of family hunting in the area says it's in late Sept

Oh and TWPD did a study backing that up also
                      North Prairie Marsh land region

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rut chart TWPD.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	24600831

Comment

Some people don’t know the different periods of the “rut.” I’d rather hunt post rut any day rather than “the rut.”

Comment

Working...
                        X