Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is your bowhunting workout routine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your bowhunting workout routine?

I have always been a pretty small guy, and typically in generally good shape. But, I am planning to spend the next year really pushing myself into mountain shape. I’m hoping to do a solo back country OTC elk hunt in 11k-13k territory, and regardless of wether that happens I would like to be in that kind of shape.

Obviously general cardio needs to be a focus, backpacking with weight needs to be in the mix, and I know I need to work on my glutes quite a bit. Also, ever since a shoulder injury 2 .5 years I have noticed a marked difference in my upper body strength mostly due to babying my shoulder. So back/shoulders need to be focused on too.

It’s starting to sound like a lot now that I say it....

I have really never been a gym rat, and have VERY little knowledge of what workouts or lifts I need to do to work the proper muscle groups. So, what do y’all do (or would y’all do) to train for a strenuous high mountain elk trip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lots of stair climber and treadmill at an incline with a weighted pack.

Comment

Stairmaster. Heck of a workout, will build strength and endurance. Typically the hottest girls in the gym will be next to you at some point or another, which is never a bad thing.

Comment

12 oz curls.

Comment

I recommend the Rokslide forum for western, DIY style hunting advice. Lots of good information there. There's a forum topic dedicated to getting fit for backcountry hunting:
          https://www.rokslide.com/forums/foru...n-to-hunt.120/

I went on my first DIY elk hunt in the Sangre's (considered very tough country) this past September and we put a lot of miles on. I'm 5'-9" / 145lbs, and the light frame definitely helps when hiking. I hadn't been in great shape since college but still was in decent shape. I wouldn't say it was terrible, but some of the hikes kicked my butt from a cardio and leg strength perspective.

Since then, I have started hitting the Stairmaster at 75-85 steps per minute skipping every other step for 15-minutes about 3-times a week (as well as my normal upper body weight training). I find that skipping every other step is better for leg strength, almost like a lunge, and still gets my heart rate up to ~170 bpm.

I also walk about 2-miles every night with my wife/daughter/dogs. About half of those walks, I will load my pack with ~35-lbs. You look a little silly in the neighborhood, but I think it will pay off for next year...

Comment

Start climbing bleachers, elliptical, and an exercise bike all help as well. Start out with no weights and when it starts getting easy add 10-20 lbs. Rinse and repeat till your up in the 80-100 lbs range. Also ruck marches aren't a bad idea either with slowly increased weight to get your feet used to walking the miles. At one point I was walking 15 miles 2-3 times a week carrying a 50+ pound pack regularly. Need to get back into it again. And nothing can really prepare you for the lack of oxygen but if you can get there a day or 2 early to acclimatize to the elevation I highly suggest it. Also start shooting the hell out of your bow out to as far as you can. Start close but then try to work out to 100 yds 10 yds at a time. Before you know it you won't even be shooting less than 60 yds to practice. In the mountains having a 60 70 and 80 yard pin never hurts.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

My elk guide told me to learn to breath with a plastic bag over my head.

Comment

I train extremely heavy, so my personal routine does not apply.

However, With your goal if I was training you the focus would be on muscular endurance, body control, and cardio endurance. Lifting heavy compounds- ie: bench/deadlift, is not going to benefit you as much.

You need to focus on bodyweight movements, balance, and core stability. Pullups, Dips, Squats, TRX trainer, lots of weight transfer movements. And focus on core and balance.

Reps probably need to be in the 10-20 range while lifting. Probably 3 days a week lifting and 3 a week cardio.

This is if you want to be a machine in the woods. If not you'll be fine just doing some basics.

If you are not familiar already follow Cam Haynes on YT and IG, he does training all in this manner and his focus is being an elite hunter.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                  12 oz curls.
                  This plus I work out . . . doors on boat docks and boat lifts.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Ginja Ninja View Post
                    Stairmaster. Heck of a workout, will build strength and endurance. Typically the hottest girls in the gym will be next to you at some point or another, which is never a bad thing.
                    I like where your head's at

Comment

Nothing will beat carrying heavy loads for long distances with a lot of elevation change for specific training. That said, finding the latter here in South Texas is the most difficult for me.

Right now I would focus on improving cardio (although you can't really train for altitude here in Texas) and core and start a well rounded weight training program that incorporates multiple muscle groups working together. Think Olympic lifts - deadlifts, power cleans, overhead presses, squats. Lunges and box jumps/steps (eventually weighted with pack) are good, as well. Stadium steps (with pack) work quads, glutes, hamstrings, etc. but don't fully replicate walking on steep incline or sidehilling. Stair climbers at the gym are for chicks! ;p

For cardio I'd mix HIIT (high intensity interval training - sprints, rower sprints, shuttle runs, box jumps, burpees, etc.) with longer endurance training sessions (running, rowing, eliptical, etc) a couple of times per week. I'd make a couple of intermediate length (3-4 miles) hikes with my semi loaded pack a couple of days each week and maybe one longer hike every week or so. As you get closer to your hunt, start increasing the pack load to get comfortable with carrying the weight.
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                        12 oz curls.
                        Same plus eat extra!

Honestly when it comes to hunting and fishing, I will push myself to exhaustion! Don’t know why but I get in a mode and will just keep going until I fall out. Probably would be smart to work out a little bit but I like food more than weights

Comment

Weighted vest, altitude mask, and a stair master. It’s all legs and lungs when hunting in the mountains.

Comment

I started Orange theory fitness little over a year ago and feel like I’m in best shape of my life

Comment

Here's mine...

[ATTACH]982803[/ATTACH]

Comment

Working...
                              X