Mountain Lions ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mountain Lions ??

Not taking away from anyone if they ever killed one in Texas but does anyone know why there are no game laws for them in Texas?

Are there enough that TPWD thinks they can't be wiped out? Are they considered like pigs or what?

In the past I thought they were fair game anywhere until I found out they had seasons in other States. Are there no rules for them in Texas?

I can understand no rules for bobcats but would think the big cats are far more rare.

They are livestock killers, and shot on site. That's pretty much the reason IMO

Comment

They are classified as a predator in Texas. You have to have a hunting license but there are no seasons or bag limits.

Comment

Originally posted by oneforthewall View Post
        They are classified as a predator in Texas. You have to have a hunting license but there are no seasons or bag limits.
        Well Howdy srtranger.. ^^^^He's right..

Comment

Obviously they are predators. I've never heard of them killing livestock but I'm sure they do. But would think they'd kill a lot more livestock in Colorado where there's more of them.

Was just thinking (maybe my problem LOL) I'd just think with all the "save the cats" BS around the world yet no one cares about ML's And they are far more rare (or at least seen) than most other cats.

Comment

[QUOTE=RiverRat1;14540532]Obviously they are predators. I've never heard of them killing livestock but I'm sure they do. But would think they'd kill a lot more livestock in Colorado where there's more of them.

I have friends along the border who are ranchers. They kill every mountain lion they can due to depredation of livestock by the lions. Lions favorite meal is young horses and they lose several to them each year(14 in one three month period). Next favorite meal is deer and then calves. Considerable financial loss due to lions each year.

Comment

Don't forget about the lonely sheep

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

when they protected them in California those things went crazy.
                People and their pets got attacked.
                Shame their favorite meal ain’t feral hogs.
                Interesting, I have heard of them being seen by reputable hunting friends almost all over the state. Wonder how well one can scale a high fence?
                I have hunted various parts of the state for 55 years and only had a single sighting while hunting. (mom and two half-grown offspring)

Comment

They seem to be more prevalent than what people think. Had multiple sightings by multiple people of one where I work that’s close to the San Jacinto monument a few years ago. I just recently found out there is one roaming around Baytown around the high school football stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                    Shame their favorite meal ain’t feral hogs.
                    Interesting, I have heard of them being seen by reputable hunting friends almost all over the state. Wonder how well one can scale a high fence?
                    I have hunted various parts of the state for 55 years and only had a single sighting while hunting. (mom and two half-grown offspring)
                    I was doing a helicopter survey in South Texas a long time ago. As we approached a high-fence, there was a mountain lion sitting in the road right next to the fence like a house cat sits. It looked back at us approaching and jumped from a sitting position over an 8 foot fence. Pretty cool to see.

Comment

they can also do a lot of damage to your deer herd

Comment

Mt lions are not rare at all. They range from Canada down to the southern tip of South America. There’s no season on them because there’s plenty in the state to go around and problem animals can be dealt with when need be. We don’t need a season in Texas. About the only truly successful way to hunt them is with hounds or traps. You can definitely be there at the right place and right time to kill one, but it’s pretty rare.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                          Still getting attacked. Not uncommon to see 160 plus lb cats around Los Angeles. There is a famous photo of a mountain lion in front of the Hollywood sign.

Comment

They aren't rare. They span from the tip of South America to Canada.

If you like to read, check out "Path of the Puma" by Jim Williams.

Comment

I saw an extremely big one when I was about 15 in south Texas from a blind. I did not shoot and my Dad was angry because I did not. Oh well! Seen one since in plain view on the side of the road sitting on its haunches. I think it was guarding some kind of road kill. It blended so well I barely noticed it. It seemed to not be afraid of the not very busy passing traffic? This was a mountainous area in the North West.

Comment

Working...
                              X