Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting at deer from road

What’s the grade of charge and fine?

My cousin had some guy and his son shoot a buck near his place in Hilda couple days ago. Just so happened the game warden had blacked out near by and caught the man and his son. They missed the deer.

My cousin asked me what they would be charged with and the fine. I assume shooting from a public road.

Thanks in advance!

I have a friend that wants to know as well!

Comment

Not sure about TPWD but Penal Code is Class B misdemeanor.. up to $2,000 fine and/or up to 180 days in jail.

Disorderly Conduct.

Comment

I saw a huge buck standing still over a bedded doe in a pasture next to refuge on 186. I looked at him thru the scope, trembled and drove on, the truck behind me stopped and killed it, gamewardens had the big buck staked out, I went back after handcuffing stuff ended and wondered why they didnt throw a rock at the deer to actually save his life. Restitution on that buck must have hurt like hell. Probably 25 years ago when big deer like that were seen once in a lifetime. Before supplements, low fence, but still dumb buck who fell to the charms of a doe in heat and a guy willing to shoot next to a refuge from the road. He probably got put under the jail. The younger me would have shot that buck with a gamewarden riding his back

Comment

Less than trespassing....

Comment

Couldn't that have been several charges?

Firing from roadway
            Hunting without landowner consent
            Trespass by projectile

Comment

Going by the fines I see on the game warden show, the fine should be around $78.47. If they didn’t have a license one will get a warning and the other a $15 fine.

Comment

I think a lot of it just depends on the discretion of the GW, prosecutor, judge & the particulars of each case...I know firearms can be taken if the GW feels it's warranted.

I'll call gw buddy to see if there is a min/max for charges.

~~~~~~~~

Edit: Class A so fine up to $4k depending.
                Last edited by Artos; 12-05-2019, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Could be Class A Misd hunting without land owner consent if the land owner wants to pursue charges. I'm assuming they were shooting from the road to property they didn't have hunting rights on.

Comment

Not enough for sure. I can’t stand those folks. Also the one that cut the heads off deer in the side of the road. I’m seeing that more & more often. I mean kind of story can you tell about a deer that you just cut the head off of?!?! Idiots pure idiots!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                      Going by the fines I see on the game warden show, the fine should be around $78.47. If they didn’t have a license one will get a warning and the other a $15 fine.
                      I actually watched one last night where a guy and his fiance shot a doe at night with a .22 from the road. They lied at first then came clean and were arrested. They posted bail and are set to go to court. Maximum penalty was 20K in restitution and i forget how long of jail time, up to 5 years or something like that. But you are right, they will probably get $1500 fine and a year probation or something like that. The guy was just arrested a few weeks prior to the night hunting so hes going to take the majority of the penalty and the shooter (woman) will likely get leniency for a prior clean record.

Comment

If it happens on Sabine county and he gets caught by game warden, gets a ticket or arrested, DA gonna kick his ***. He don't play around with people breaking game laws. He used to b a game warden

Comment

I thought shooting from a public road was increased to a felony.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                            I thought shooting from a public road was increased to a felony.
                            I specifically asked about shooting & missing...not sure what the charges are after a deer hits the ground.

Comment

Whatever it is, it's not enough.

Comment

Working...
                              X