Another leak of some kind on son’s truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another leak of some kind on son’s truck

My son texted me this morning that the passenger side carpet on his truck was discolored and felt greasy. This afternoon before taking him to work, I pulled the carped back a little by the kick panel and sure enough there’s some type of oil under it. Any ideas how and what would cause it to go into the cab? Not sure if it’s oil or transmission fluid as I didn’t have time to dig too deep into it. No visible signs of leak on the driveway where he was parked. Not sure how it’d leak up and not down. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	69888046-1E7A-443A-B49D-2902B172E00A.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	25281250

Not likely to be transmission in that area.

What kind of vehicle is it? Most of what I’ve seen leak in that area is the heater core.

Comment

You sure it some kind of oil. A clogged ac drain hose will leak right there

Comment

It’s an ‘83 Chevy C10. A while back his heater wouldn’t shut off when he killed the truck. Had to disconnect the battery to shut it off. Hasn’t needed the heater so I actually forgot about with all the other projects lately.

Comment

That spot is almost always a heater core leak but shouldn't be oily.

Comment

That's the heater core leaking in that model.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
              You sure it some kind of oil. A clogged ac drain hose will leak right there
              This^^

Comment

heater core leak...........

Comment

Thanks! How big a pain is it to fix?

Comment

AC compressor?

Comment

a good text would be turn the heat on hi, and see if you smell antifreeze.

Comment

Heater core. Very common on that year model. You can pull the two water hoses going to it and fix later this fall when he needs a heater.

Comment

Yup. Heater core. Antifreeze/Glycol feels a little oily. Should be able to smell the glycol. Do not drive it with the core leaking that much. Could overheat engine. As long as you don't have a bad back it should be fairly easy to replace in that truck.

Comment

There’s a way to bypass fluid running through it though admittedly, it’s been a bit since I’ve done so. It will work as a test for sure though.

Look into it for that truck, only takes about $2 worth of heater hose.

If it works, you know what the problem is. The main drawback is you won’t have anything related to the heater until you actually fix the issue, meaning defroster, etc.

None of that probably works at the moment anyway so it’s a cheap test.

Comment

Likely a heater core issue. If his coolant is oily then he needs to drain the coolant system and see what's up, it could be a blown head gasket.

Sent from my SM-A135U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X