Broken rib

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken rib

Well clumsy me fell while work and broke a rib and a wrist.
    Any remedies to faster healing of the rib? It hurts worse than the wrist!
    The whole saying “I don’t bounce like I use too” really is true.
    I seem to cut my spleen too but dr just told me to not lift or strain for 4 weeks.

You are looking at least six months of pain. I broke mine two years ago during the pandemic. Just when you think it’s healed, it will not be. Take it slow and easy.

Comment

Ribs just Ice, time and Tylenol or ibuprofen . Don’t lift much or move fast. First 2 weeks are hell. By weak 4 you will feel better

Comment

I have had broken ribs several times. Six- eight weeks for me and I was good to go. It was 30-40 years ago so if it happened today may be another story.
        Last edited by Mertzon Man; 05-13-2022, 08:39 PM.

Comment

When you can sneeze, cough, and laugh, you will be okay. The soreness will be there for a couple of months.

Comment

I broke a rib 18 months ago. Good drugs made it bearable for the first 2 weeks. After that it was just taking it easy for another 6-8 weeks.

Comment

What you do in the first five days is most important, be still and let it heal.

Comment

I had one of those wide lumbar support belts that I was able to get up and around the ribs.
                Worked out well for me in cutting down on unnecessary (painful) movements.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                  I had one of those wide lumbar support belts that I was able to get up and around the ribs.
                  Worked out well for me in cutting down on unnecessary (painful) movements.
                  ^^^ This. Nothing you can do for the broken ribs but let them heal. The compression type wide belt will help while it heals.

Comment

Just have to roll with it! I have broken/torn a lot of things not designed to be broken and the most pain I can recall being in was a broken sternum in high school. Miserable! Just don’t cough or sneeze and roll. :-)

Comment

Here is what I was told over and over and over, while in the hospital, when I shattered my left knee and it turns out I broke a few ribs at the same time, and probably some bones in my left foot. The doctors told me, don't smoke, don't be around anyone who is smoking, that cigarette smoke stunts bone growth. You might consume a bit more milk with calcium and I think vitamin D, until it heals.

I was stuck in a bed for the whole time I had broken ribs, I was laying on those broken ribs, the whole time. Because I had rods screwed into my left leg, that limited me to laying on my back, for months. That was 16 years ago, I have figured out recently, that putting weight on the front of the left side of my chest, seems to pop those ribs that were broken in the left rear of my back, out of place. Feels great.

My brother somehow broke some ribs right before Christmas, was still complaining about them when he came down for Easter. I know he smokes, but I don't know how much of a factor that has been for his ribs healing up. His problems he was having around Easter, I think was cartilage damage between his ribs. He said his ribs kept popping out of place. His rib problem did not seem to be healing very well. I would bet him liking to drink, is not helping his ribs either. He won't listen to me, on either the smoking or drinking, so I did no bring either up.

I have found out, that drinking alcohol, after having some type of internal injury, is not a good idea. Thinning your blood, results in a very noticeable increase in internal blood loss.

Comment

Had a bruised rib several years ago and it was pretty painful for about two months. As said above, the first week is pretty important. I took a week off and just sat around watching tv. Went back to work after that and just tried not to do too much. After a couple months it no longer hurt to laugh.

Comment

I had 4 cracked ribs at one.... The good news is I found out I had colon cancer shortly after breaking the ribs and forgot all about that pain! So at least I had that going for me. [emoji1787]

Comment

My dear mom fell on our tub and fractured some ribs in her mid 80,s. It was horrible. It would bring her to tears when she got up. Follow the advice given.

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo View Post
                              What you do in the first five days is most important, be still and let it heal.

Good advice.
                              Broke 5 ribs in 2008, luckily the broken shoulder blade and collarbone kept me from thinking about the rib pain [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X