X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Drone Law shot down

Federal Court Strikes down Texas Drone Law

Link

The article is lengthy, but I'll post the lead in. It looks like for the time being there is no recourse or prevention of drones flying over private property.

A Texas federal judge has stricken down the vast majority of a Texas drone law as unconstitutional.

The “Use of Unmanned Aircraft” statute was passed in 2013. To read a prior blog post reviewing the statute in detail, click here. This lawsuit breaks the challenged provisions into two categories: Surveillance Provisions and No-Fly Provisions.

The Surveillance Provisions (Texas Government Code Sections 423.002, .003, .004, and .005) impose criminal and civil penalties for anyone using a drone to capture an image of an individual or privately owned real property with the intent to “conduct surveillance” on the individual or property. See Texas Government Code Section 423.003. The statute exempts a number of uses from the provisions of the statute including professional or scholarly research, satellite mapping, and real estate agents, for example. See Texas Government Code Section 423.002. Importantly, newsgathering is not an exempted use, meaning the statutory prohibitions apply to newsgathering activities.

The No-Fly Provisions (Texas Government Code Sections 423.0045 and 423.0046) impose criminal penalties by making it unlawful to fly a drone over a correctional facility, detention facility, critical infrastructure facility, or sports venue. Of note for the ag industry, in 2017, the statute was amended to include confined animal feeding operations to the definition of “critical infrastructure facilities.” [Read blog post here.] The No-Fly Provisions also contain exemptions for certain uses, including those with a “commercial purpose.” There is no exemption for newsgathering.

Lawsuit

Two media organizations (National Press Photographers Association & Texas Press Association) and an individual journalist filed suit in Texas federal court. The journalist is a Texas reporter who owns a drone and is certified to operate it by the FAA. He claims the Texas Use of Unmanned Aircraft statute has chilled his newsgathering because he is concerned about liability. He says he has forgone opportunities to use the drone in reporting on multiple stories. The National Press Photographers Association (NPP) is a national organization representing journalists, including 300 members in Texas. Their members regularly use drones for newsgathering, and their reporting efforts have been chilled by the statute. The Texas Press Association (TPA) has more than 400 newspaper members across Texas. They allege some members have avoided using drone photography due to the statute. Members of both organizations reported having threats of prosecution when using drones or have had newspapers decline to carry drone footage because of the statute.

Plaintiffs brought suit against the Director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, Chief of the Texas Highway Patrol, and the District Attorney of Hays County.

I don't so much care if they fly over on the way to somewhere else, but if they stop or slow down to video, then there IS recourse in my world.

Comment

Texas had some of the most restrictive and stupid drone laws in the nation.

I would have to read the decision and see what was thrown out by the judge.

It was so restrictive that the police could not even photograph a misdemeanor crime scene that they were lawfully at. It gave exemptions for felonies and traffic fatalities.

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
        I don't so much care if they fly over on the way to somewhere else, but if they stop or slow down to video, then there IS recourse in my world.
        I can video at about 35 mph……

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
          I can video at about 35 mph……
          Police can do all kinds of super human stuff!

Comment

Texas Drone Law shot down

I don’t understand why privacy laws don’t apply to drone usage and unauthorized videoing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              I don’t understand why privacy laws don’t apply to drone usage and unauthorized videoing.

What privacy laws?

I am not defending anyone spying with a drone or anything else but curious which laws you’re talking about.

Comment

I wish I could find the actual ruling. I keep reading news opinions and some mention certain sections and at least one article says he threw out the whole chapter.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                  What privacy laws?

I am not defending anyone spying with a drone or anything else but curious which laws you’re talking about.

I should have a reasonable expectation of privacy on my own private property.

Does that only apply inside my home?

Comment

I'm not saying anybody wants a picture of anybody on the site, but it is an interesting argument.
                    Where does privacy start when you are talking about photography? Video or stills? With todays technology, if there is a line of sight, you can capture an image of a person doing whatever. Can you do so without consent? (Famous/Infamous? people have been fighting this for years)

I think we all agree that if you were in a public place you're fair game.
                    But if you're in your own backyard or on your own porch, should someone be able to climb on the neighbors house next door, with their consent, if they wanted to get a picture of you?
                    Can the government take pictures of you from planes or satellites? (With just cause?)
                    Drone just extend this capability to everyone...

But I cannot fly a drone in a national park (Safety & Environmental issues) or close to a sporting event. Professional or high school football for instance. (Again Safety issues but i am sure filming rite have something to do with this one)

Maybe we should form a TBH professional sports team. In the bylaws it states we own the rights to any photography captured of our team. 24/7

Comment

Your privacy was invaded long before drones were a thing. The problem is there's a whole can of worms that opens up if you don't allow photography from a drone. I don't own a drone but I have in the past. Unless something has changed you won't do much "spying" with one. I could see more on Google Earth.

Comment

Texas has all kinds of privacy laws like window peeping, unauthorized photo/video in locker rooms, restrooms, etc. There is even a law that you can’t take a picture of children in public if you zoom in on the crotch area. An example is cheerleaders at a high school sporting event. You can take pictures all day while they are cheering but if you do what a Texas teacher did (and got caught), if you zoom in on the pubic area, it is a felony.

Texas made a separate set of photography laws just for drones. I can get up on top of the roof of my house with my iPhone and take pictures of my neighbor’s backyard. If I fire turn on one of my drones and don’t start the motors but hold it in my hands and take the same pictures, I’m committing a crime and can be sued.

I suspect that in the next legislature some of the law will be reinstated with a little more thought process but Texas has some stupid and ultra restrictive laws.

It does not allow Texas police officers to photograph a misdemeanor crime scene even when they are lawfully at the scene. They can use any other camera including a pole camera or they can do like we have done, call a firetruck over and go four stories up in the air in a bucket. If we take the same picture by a drone four stories up, it becomes a crime.

I think much of it was unenforceable anyway because it says you cannot conduct surveillance but does not define surveillance. People could take any picture that they wish and simply say, I was not doing it to spy on you. The burden of proof would it be on the accuser.

And perhaps the most ultimate stupidity? I believe it only counts if you take photographs in store them. Even under that law that was thrown out, I could look around and do virtually anything as long as I did not snap a picture.

Stupid? I think so.

The media which brought the lawsuit brought up the fact that they wanted to view a publicly taxpayer funded construction site as part of a news story. They were told it was a crime. Now you have the news media actually doing what they should be doing which is checking up on publicly spent money on public projects that could be viewed by the public but if it is photographed with a drone, it became a crime.

Stupid?

From my reading it appears to be so stupid that the judge throughout the entire chapter in a selected laws that might have stood.

Comment

Neighbor has one he/she Flys around. Typically when I am mowing my yard, shirtless. I don't blame them. I have a big ol set of boobies. Dad bods are in. It is our time to shine gents!

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
                            Two media organizations (National Press Photographers Association & Texas Press Association) and an individual journalist filed suit in Texas federal court. The journalist is a Texas reporter who owns a drone and is certified to operate it by the FAA. He claims the Texas Use of Unmanned Aircraft statute has chilled his newsgathering because he is concerned about liability. He says he has forgone opportunities to use the drone in reporting on multiple stories. The National Press Photographers Association (NPP) is a national organization representing journalists, including 300 members in Texas. Their members regularly use drones for newsgathering, and their reporting efforts have been chilled by the statute. The Texas Press Association (TPA) has more than 400 newspaper members across Texas. They allege some members have avoided using drone photography due to the statute. Members of both organizations reported having threats of prosecution when using drones or have had newspapers decline to carry drone footage because of the statute.

Plaintiffs brought suit against the Director of the Texas Department of Public Safety, Chief of the Texas Highway Patrol, and the District Attorney of Hays County.
                            If anyone knows any members of the National Press Photographers Association & Texas Press Association, or that "individual journalist", please let them know that we don't give a **** about their missed opportunities, or the "chilling of their newsgathering".

Comment

I have a neighbor who had one shot down last week ?

Comment

Working...
                              X