Farm Pond Fishing for Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farm Pond Fishing for Kids

The fly fishing thread got me to thinking that I need to restock my farm pond tackle box. I have a 4 and a 5 year old I need to start taking to the farm ponds we have access to on a more regular basis. I plan to get some bobbers and worms or shad if I can find them, but they also like to cast and reel so I'm looking at alternatives for them. I think they are too impatient for plastic worms or twitch baits at the moment, but that day will come. It has been 25 years since I fished farm ponds regularly and a lot of the stuff has changed over the years.

So what are your go to baits and colors?

Mepps inline spinners unless always make for a fun time for me.

Comment

The ol beetle spin is hard to be for pond fish. And they dont break the bank when the get lost or hung in a tree.

The academy brand has some little crank baits that look like grasshoppers and bait fish. We fish a couple on our place and I keep a simple tackle box in camp with smaller spinners and cranks

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
        The ol beetle spin is hard to be for pond fish. And they dont break the bank when the get lost or hung in a tree.

The academy brand has some little crank baits that look like grasshoppers and bait fish. We fish a couple on our place and I keep a simple tackle box in camp with smaller spinners and cranks
        This right here. Bettle Spin is my first choice.

Comment

Black/chart beetle spins, or small spinner baits. Small grasshopper style crankbaits, Rooster Tails, Roadrunners, and and floating frogs.

Comment

Dont forget the frogs. They will love to see them float and it will keep them interested. Anything floating so they can see it will keep them interested longer.

Comment

Small bobber, split shot, a small, long shank perch hook and worms. Will need a 5 gallon bucket with a little water to put the fish in so they can catch them 2 to 20 times by hand. If you want to get real fancy bring a net.

I have used just a fishing pole with no reel with a short piece of line tied to the tip doing this. It just depends on how young the child, how many and how many times you want to untangle their poles/lines!

Do this and they will be hooked for life! No pun intended!

You can chum the water with bread. Sometimes you will have turtles and fish at the same time. If no worms you can ball the soft bread and make a small dough ball to use for bait also.
              Last edited by Killer; 03-28-2022, 01:29 PM.

Comment

My son like throwing a Texas rigged crawfish. When he just reeled it in the claws would flap in the water and he would get bit. Plus being Texas rigged it made it pretty weedless.

Comment

Tx Rigged 6" lizards or Brush hogs are my go to, Green Pumpkin. Size 4 hook with 1/8oz Bullet weight

Comment

Rebel classic critters kit, small spinner baits, heddon tiny or teeny torpedo, zara puppy, small hollow body frogs, Rebel Pop R, Roostertails, and of course soft plastics...

Comment

for young kids bobber and worms. What dale said. Very few kids can fish plastics. starting out cane poles are fun and easy.

Comment

Live bait is alway preferable for kids.

But…beetle spins and roadrunners are hard to beat.

Comment

Earthworms & H&H Spinners

Comment

I usually give my son a plastic worm or top water. Give him anything with a treble hook and he'll chunk it right into a brush pile and pull half of it onto the bank.

Comment

hotdogs are great for farm ponds with a cork easy peasey

Comment

Working...
                              X