Just the tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just the tip

I am very new to bow hunting after many years of rifle hunting. I was able to experience first hand the effect of the field tips being used for practice not weighing the same as the broadheads for hunting . . .

So my question is about the tips . . . Do you purchase your field tips from the same manufacturer as your broadheads to improve the likelihood they will weigh the same? Or should you be able to buy each anywhere as long as you are buying the same weight?

Planning to do A LOT more practice in the off season this year, and want to start off on the right foot.
    Last edited by TxHamJello; 02-04-2022, 11:55 AM.

I’ll use any field tips from any manufacturer. I’ve never bothered to weigh them. Most if not all broadheads and field points will vary in weight to a small degree. I’ve got 100 and 125 grain field points in my bow case and I tell them apart because they are different styles.

Comment

I reload so I always check both on my scale, any variation that can be removed is a +.

[emoji1662]

Comment

Originally posted by TxHamJello View Post
        I am very new to bow hunting after many years of rifle hunting. I was able to experience first hand the effect of the field tips being used for practice not weighing the same as the broadheads for hunting . . .

So my question is about the tips . . . Do you purchase your field tips from the same manufacturer as your broadheads to improve the likelihood they will weigh the same? Or should you be able to buy each anywhere as long as you are buying the same weight?

Planning to do A LOT more practice in the off season this year, and want to start off on the right foot.
        What you need to do is practice with your broadhead. 2 or 4 grains difference doesn't matter, most likely you were either shooting a 100 grain practice head and a 125 grain broadhead or your bow was not tuned. I recommend looking at YouTube videos on paper tuning your bow. After that, you may have to make a slight adjustment to rest to get broadheads and practice tips hitting the same

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
          What you need to do is practice with your broadhead. 2 or 4 grains difference doesn't matter, most likely you were either shooting a 100 grain practice head and a 125 grain broadhead or your bow was not tuned. I recommend looking at YouTube videos on paper tuning your bow. After that, you may have to make a slight adjustment to rest to get broadheads and practice tips hitting the same
          Thank you! Will use this advice.

Comment

Just have a question for you. Shooting your rifle, would you practice with a 130 grain bullet and then hunt with a 180?

Comment

Says 150gr on the Package I'm OK. I use 150 for both Field and Broadheads.

Never have weighed. YET....

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                Just have a question for you. Shooting your rifle, would you practice with a 130 grain bullet and then hunt with a 180?
                NOPE. Just asking for a Miss

Comment

Tip weight is only one factor. The blades on the broadhead affect the flight as well. For sure, the tips need to weight the same. Tip weight affects dynamic spine of the arrow and tuning.

Comment

I mix in 125 field point with my wife's 100 grain and she shoot for and hour. Could not tell the difference in point of impact or flight.

Comment

seems were talking 2 different things. practice all year with whatever the heck u want,
                      final tune broadhead of choice a week out and go stick one!! i shoot rage hypodermic
                      to tuning required arrowed lots of deer at 35+ they shoot within a 1" of feild points

Comment

On my old bow 100 & 125 grain field tips had the same point of impact.

I haven't shot my new bow enough to know. I got it 2 months before Archery season started

I shoot the same weight field tips & Broadheads

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                          No. But my question was more around, if the package from Mfgr A says 125, do you trust it is the same (or close enough) as Mfgr B that also says 125? Or would you buy both field and broadheads from the same manufacturer?

Comment

Thanks everyone for the great input. I will absolutely take it all in and ensure my practice takes priority.

Comment

I wouldn't necessarily buy field points and broadheads from the same manufacturer....If your going to shoot 100 grain broadheads, practice with 100 field points and vice versa fro 125 grains....keep is simple and your confidence will increase.

Comment

Working...
                              X