Target Buck down! Suburb Success!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Target Buck down! Suburb Success!!

Hey fellas. So, a couple years back, my best friend got permission for he and I to hunt the land his company had purchased in the suburbs of Houston. They plan to develop the land, but in the mean time, we put out cameras and really tried to treat it like our own little urban hunting lease. (Over 500 acres right off a major highway and butted up next to a golf course.) We created a sanctuary, found pinch points, hand corned a couple spots and put out cameras. To our surprise we got some pics of some darn good deer. (These YouTube videos of Urban hunting got me fired up. [ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OFfc81LGxtA"]REVEALED!! The UNTOLD hunt for CHARLIE (The Deer that Started SEEK ONE) - YouTube[/ame]) Our number one hit list buck we named Dark Chocolate because of the color of his horns. We hung two stands and brushed in one pop up, pretty much assuring we had a spot for each kind of wind (except west wind). The first few hunts we had some decent action, my friend saw DC (Dark Chocolate) twice but couldn’t get him in range and I got handcuffed by a nice 8 point while rattling, he came storming in and I had nowhere to put my antlers and he bolted. Well a cold front came in yesterday so I was pumped for this morning. My buddy texted at 5 am saying he had a stomach bug so I was rollin solo. I changed to his stand because the other hanger stand I had never climbed and didn’t wanna climb it for the first time in the dark. Once I got settled in, the wind was out of the WNW and not optimal. I was feeling bummed because the one direction I didn’t need the wind blowing was that one, but I gave myself a pep talk and told myself to lock it in regardless. So I stood up (huge decision as I would have never gotten a shot off sitting) and stayed ready. It’s crazy how everything can change in a blink of an eye. I caught movement and one glance said “shooter buck”. He was skirting me and heading right to my trail that I walked in on, I had about 8 seconds to attach, turn, draw, anchor and shoot. I mouth grunted to stop him one step before he got to my trail and he presented me a perfect broadside 20 yard shot. I zipped him with a Rage Extreme (best heads out there) and instantly saw a huge circle of red as he ran off. He ran out into a field, did a 180 and came running right back at my stand and piled up 25 yards from my stand. I had no idea what deer I had shot, I had no time to glass him, but I knew he was a good one. I texted my sick friend and he manned up and cane out to help me retrieve and dress it. It ended up being DC. Can’t believe I harvested such a great deer just 20 minutes from my house. Don’t overlook those city and suburb wood lots, they have some great deer. Keep grinding fellas and keep sharing the stories and pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heck of a buck. Congratulations

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats! Beautiful 8

Comment

Wow! Congrats!!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats on a sweet buck

Comment

Thanks!!

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

Great buck

Comment

Nicely done, Chase!

Comment

Awesome, congrats.

I drive around Houston area all the time and see woods I would love to hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                          Nicely done, Chase!

Thanks Curt!!! [emoji1316][emoji1316]

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Nicely done congratulations

Comment

Working...