Protein prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
    Cottonseed isn’t going to hurt free ranging white tails. Or, if your range conditions are so bad that cottonseed is all they have to eat, you’re probably going to lose deer if you don’t feed anything. That is a sales pitch from feed salesman. The ironic thing is how many of those feeds use cottonseed on their blend.

We feed a lot of cottonseed and I haven’t observed any of the things that some say cottonseed can do. (Fertility, respiratory distress, death, etc). I was worried about the fertility issue initially but our fawn crop has improved every year since we started feeding it heavily so I don’t think it’s hurting us. .
    Again. I’m no biologist. But deer are like dogs. They know what they need and eat what they need in my opinion. We have lots of water on our place so that’s a huge leg up over most. But it’s so dry it’s like the surface of the moon!

Comment

Protein prices

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
      Again. I’m no biologist. But deer are like dogs. They know what they need and eat what they need in my opinion. We have lots of water on our place so that’s a huge leg up over most. But it’s so dry it’s like the surface of the moon!

So you’re basically the same as Biden’s supreme court nomination? [emoji23][emoji23]

We have a lot of water too. I never would have thought there was a down side to water, but after three years I gave up on protein because we lost so much to birds. Tree ducks, crows, blackbirds. Not to mention coons. Protein was about $450/ton when I threw the towel in because it was effectively about $1000/ton after birds and coons had their share.

Comment

I feed my deer 3/8's sheep pellets. Feed about 150 lbs per week just to help them with staying alive. I cannot afford the dollars to grow big horns. Biggest deer ever killed on my place was way before people started feeding protein year around.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
          So you’re basically the same as Biden’s supreme court nomination? [emoji23][emoji23]

We have a lot of water too. I never would have thought there was a down side to water, but after three years I gave up on protein because we lost so much to birds. Tree ducks, crows, blackbirds. Not to mention coons. Protein was about $450/ton when I threw the towel in because it was effectively about $1000/ton after birds and coons had their share.
          No. I know exactly what a woman is and can describe them to anyone haha

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
            I feed my deer 3/8's sheep pellets. Feed about 150 lbs per week just to help them with staying alive. I cannot afford the dollars to grow big horns. Biggest deer ever killed on my place was way before people started feeding protein year around.
            I was just thinking the same. How did deer ever survive before we started emptying our 401s at the feed store. Those guys back in the 50s, 60s and 70s sure killed some big deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
              I was just thinking the same. How did deer ever survive before we started emptying our 401s at the feed store. Those guys back in the 50s, 60s and 70s sure killed some big deer.
              Supplemental feeding has allowed an increased population far beyond what some properties can sustain without the feeding program.

Lower deer density allows better nutrition.

My opinion of course
              Last edited by trophy8; 03-27-2022, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                I’m surprised no one has mentioned rice bran on here. I’ve used that for many years. It’s a base ingredient in lots of protein pellets and supplements. I have deer walk past corn to eat rice bran.
                Always hunted with in Louisiana. Like deer crack. Used some around here with mixed reactions. Not as available close to me. You can always spot a rice bran deer. White mustache!!

Comment

Supplemental feeding has allowed an increased population far beyond what some properties can sustain without the feeding program.

Lower deer density allows better nutrition.

My opinion of course
                  100% agree^^^^^

Comment

The biggest problem on my hunting country is not killing enough does every year. Lots of big buck killers but not many meat hunters.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                      The biggest problem on my hunting country is not killing enough does every year. Lots of big buck killers but not many meat hunters.
                      Same here ! We didn’t have enough tags per hunters to put a dent in them , and had a some hunters shoot out on bucks and never return except to fill feeders, maybe 🤔 I should sell doe hunt next year?

Comment

Originally posted by Cull hunter View Post
                        If you are buying the least expensive ration and getting high consumption, what are you gaining by not having the right ingredients. Roughly 3 to 4 pounds is what an adult animal needs of the right feed. All else is passed as waste. Most people look at high consumption rates translating into healthier deer. However, on the right premium feed 2 pounds a day consumed can give them all they need as long as the ration is consistent which in today’s markets means higher prices due to commodity prices.

When buying feed, I think it is important to know exactly what is in the feed particularly the exact ingredients. Not talking about TDN, dry matter, etc … for example, cotton seed. Many feeds use cotton seed in their mix. So there really is no reason to feed both. Use that money for a premium feed.

In many cases the wrong feed could do more damage than good for the herd based on what is in it. As Encinal said, fiber is key right now with the lack of browse and Forbes.

After feeding most every feed on the market, in my opinion not all feeds are the same and it is important to know what is actually in the feed. Consumption rates don’t always equal the outcome you want. Always check your deers feet for signs of founder. The back toes will be long.

Good information.

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression that the % of protein had an affect on the deer's rumen. I was always told to not feed anything over 18% during times of drought ? Does this also correlate w amount of fiber ?

Comment

Just quoted $540 ton for LC feed. Was $490 ton first of yr.
                            😖

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTK View Post
                              Just quoted $540 ton for LC feed. Was $490 ton first of yr.
                              😖
                              Out if Stonewall? I’ve been waiting on a quote for it in bulk(bags) delivered since mid last week. I’m about to tell them to get bent.

Comment

Out if Stonewall? I’ve been waiting on a quote for it in bulk(bags) delivered since mid last week. I’m about to tell them to get bent.
                                No Pearsall

Comment

Working...
                                X