No announcement yet.

Opinions in Sig Cross .308 vs 6.5 Creedmoor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing to right home about. 308 will have a little more recoil but if there is a brake or a suppressor on it you wouldn't notice any difference at all I bet. With that model rifle running about 6.5-6.8lbs it will have a little more recoil than a regular bolt gun in the 7-8lb range. Most things you read say 20-30% less recoil from the 6.5 CM some articles I have read say 10-15% less. If you plan on shooting a lot or letting someone that is on the petite side shoot it put a muzzle brake on it. It will run you $75 up to 100s and it will reduce the recoil but be loader for the shooter.

If you want to know what the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge is and how it compares to the .308 Winchester, you want to read this article.

Comment

I have seen a couple of the cross rifles. They looked to be geared towards western backpack hunters. Barrel on the 308 is 16 inches which seemed at odds with the perceived notion that you have to make longer shots out west. Looked good for hiking with the gun in a backpack though. The 6.5 CM was a little longer at 18 inches. I was interested enough to research online the effects of chopping down the barrel but not interested enough to buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
        Check the reviews on the Sig Cross. I seem to remember some really bad reviews. Check Military Arms Channel on Youtube. He raked it over the coals.
        I watched some videos and you are correct
        Research shows why it’s a hard pass
        1. It’s a flawed design on trigger and safety
        2. Barrel is too short/ designed for a can
        3. Picky on ammo that it shoots well mainly doesn’t like hunting loads
        Dangerous and expensive

I thought the OP was on .308 vs .264 and seems sig has 3 different rifles under recall, and that would make me pass on that alone besides price
        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 11-12-2021, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rubicon51 View Post
          Looking to get a lighter weight rifle to take out to a lease in Rocksprings. The shots are generally less than 100 yards, does anyone have experience shooting the Cross in both calibers and have a favorite between the two?
          Sorry bud I am an idiot and was doing to many things at once when I made my first post. All that stuck in my head was 308 vs 6.5cm. I have had and have shot several but no experience with the Sig Cross. Sorry.

Lighter weight stuff look at Tikka, Browning Xbolt Western Hunter or Hells Canyon, Howa Lightweight Stalker or Savage. All I have or have set up for people have all been 1/2 moa or better. The Browning and Howa will come with a brake and or threaded barrel to add a brake so do some of the savage models.

Comment

Originally posted by DuramaxDude View Post
            Lighter weight stuff look at Tikka, Browning Xbolt Western Hunter or Hells Canyon, Howa Lightweight Stalker or Savage. All I have or have set up for people have all been 1/2 moa or better. The Browning and Howa will come with a brake and or threaded barrel to add a brake so do some of the savage models.
            This. In the price range, I would look long and hard at the Browning HC or Tikka. Have shot both and own a Browning HC with the McMillan stock. In fact, I took the Browning to FTW and took it out to 1,000 with no problems.

If you want to drop a little more cash, my next splurge will be the Springfield 2020 with the carbon barrel. Probably going down to 6mm on that one though.

Comment

Did consider the Waypoint, which I really do like, but just appreciated the compactness of the Cross. I was aware of the factors that triggered the recall, but assumed that Sig addressed the issue.

Comment

Wasn’t the point of the sig cross to have their special 25cal high pressure round?

Comment

They do offer it chambered in that .277 Fury, but I don’t ammo for that cartridge will be available anytime soon.

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
                  Wasn’t the point of the sig cross to have their special 25cal high pressure round?

Comment

I think it comes down to what barrel length you’re wanting to run. 20” and shorter I would go 308 as it’s more efficient/forgiving in shorter configurations. 22/24”+ and I’d go 6.5CM.

Comment

That is good to know. I was curious about how well these cartridges would do out of shorter barrels.

Originally posted by TylerDale View Post
                      I think it comes down to what barrel length you’re wanting to run. 20” and shorter I would go 308 as it’s more efficient/forgiving in shorter configurations. 22/24”+ and I’d go 6.5CM.

Comment

308 all day. There’s a reason there’s a ton of 6.5s for sale I knew it was a fad from the get go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rubicon51 View Post
                          They do offer it chambered in that .277 Fury, but I don’t ammo for that cartridge will be available anytime soon.
                          My understanding is the .277 is vapor ware at the present time. When asked a few months ago, a Sig rep. insinuated that they haven't solved the throat erosion issue.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                            I generally think of a 6.5 CM as a long range caliber. For 100 to 200 yards the .308 would be my choice. No pig I ever saw ever got over being shot with a .308
                            There's a reason military snipers used .308 for many years. It is definitely a long range cartridge.

Comment

After watching the Kile rittenhouse trial, I would avoid a sub 20 inch barrel, as it seems some states have vague laws about dangerous weapons, I personally would hate to have a game warden or state trooper jam me up on something in the field

Comment

Opinions in Sig Cross .308 vs 6.5 Creedmoor

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                                After watching the Kile rittenhouse trial, I would avoid a sub 20 inch barrel, as it seems some states have vague laws about dangerous weapons, I personally would hate to have a game warden or state trooper jam me up on something in the field

That’s one of the dumber things I’ve heard in a while. You do realize there are millions of 16”-20” rifles out there right? Heck, there’s plenty of SBRs out there also.

Sure, there’s a couple states that have stupid rules, but that’s like saying I’m not going to own a diesel pickup in Texas, because California has strict emissions laws. Even if you want to be in compliance with other states laws, I don’t think any of them apply to bolt guns like the Op is discussing.
                                Last edited by Raider4044; 11-16-2021, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X