Can’t stop scratching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can’t stop scratching

My Jagd Terrier, Deets can’t stop scratching, he’s on allergie med but not helping any help out there.

Give him some Benadryl?

Comment

Apoquel or cytopoint shot from your vet. My beagle ahs the same issue due to allergies, but he's about hairless now on both of his sides.

He has an appointment with a vet in Round Rock that specializes in canine skin issues, but I can't get him in until November 18.

Comment

Our JR has the same problem. I have to take her to vet about every 2 months for a shot. They started off giving her some type of steroid shot, but that only lasted about a month.
        I cannot remember what it is right now, but it helps for a while. I have tried everything. Even tried the stuff from PetLab. Only thing I can see that that stuff did was cause her to have other problems, but PetLab had a chew for that also. When I find her vet invoice, I will look to see what they are giving her.

Comment

We had to go to some expensive Science Diet stuff to help our lab out.

Comment

Colored mulch will do that to a dog...

Comment

I will say my lab had the same problem. I started buying real good dog food that was salmon based for the fish oil and it was amazing how good his coat got and no more itching. But jeeez did his craps stink.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                I will say my lab had the same problem. I started buying real good dog food that was salmon based for the fish oil and it was amazing how good his coat got and no more itching. But jeeez did his craps stink.
                Our frenchies are on a salmon based food with no fillers. Pricey but it helps them for sure. They will run you out of a room though.

Comment

Does his food contain chicken?

Comment

must be something in the air around here, both our lab and catahoula have been scratching like maniacs recently. initially they had picked up fleas from a hog i killed, but we got rid of that a month or two ago. then about 3-4 weeks ago, they have both been scratching like crazy and i cant seem to find what is causing it. the catahoula has never had scratching issues before and is 9 yrs old. they both eat the lamb and brown rice dog food, so it is not likely a food allergy.

Comment

Get a blood panel ran by a vet. It will show what he’s allergic to. My JRT is allergic to everything! I finally found some Merrick dry food that’s made from bison and sweet potatoes that doesn’t make him itch. That and an Apaquel every day.

Comment

I heard something on the radio yesterday that I'd never heard before. The Vet recommended putting the new bag of food you purchase in the freezer for 24 hours before feeding your dog. The theory is that a lot of the bags can get mites while in storage and some dogs are sensitive to the bugs and can cause them to itch. Freezing the bag first will kill the bugs. Might be worth a shot.

Comment

It's usually environmental or diet related.
                          Try changing food. Something with completely different ingredients to what you're feeding now.
                          Add fish/salmon/cod liver oil to the diet and see if that helps any.
                          Also try Healthycoat for horses. I buy it in a gallon jug and use the pump top to add a squirt to the dogs food.

How is he bred? There are some lines of jagds with some skin issues

Comment

Mine used to be on Apaquel($2/pill every day) it helped for a while then became less effective, so I stopped using it. I have tried many dog foods.... the daily skin treats.....oils.... She still itches about the same whatever i try.

Comment

I keep jumping on FB because forever I kept getting one of their ads on dogs that were dealing with itcy skin. I can't remember if it was a supplement or dog food they were selling.

I save the website on my personal laptop and will look this evening. The ad isn't popping up when I go to FB right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X