X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lighter bat. Increase the bat drop

Comment

Originally posted by ElkTipper View Post
      How about some top hand tee work and work on hitting the ball middle away..
      then bottom hand tee work by hitting middle away.
      if he wants to be good he needs to hit line drives to back of the cage off a tee.
      did I mention tee work?
      By far the best response yet...........working off the T is the best way to improve swing mechanics. Since you dont have a BB background, look on youtube and find some drills. Spend 5x as much time on the T as you do taking live BP or even short toss.

Comment

I can't teach him anything but...vision...? Seen some youngsters game change alot when they found out they needed glasses. Just weren't seeing it. Prolly not it but crossed my mind. It's fun and I learned a bunch when I took my boy to a hitting coach.

Comment

Have you had his eyes checked............he might not be seeing the ball well

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
            Ok…. Ok. I’m glad you are trying to help your son. That’s great. But as a baseball guy, reading this paragraph is painful. Foul balls aren’t hits, hits aren’t foul balls. Contact is good, but the direction of the ball is important. His swing doesn’t need to be hard, it needs to be smooth. He also needs to keep the head of the bat in the zone as long as possible. Swinging hard with no knowledge of how is most likely resulting in him pulling his front shoulder out away from the plate and/or dropping the bat head resulting in foul balls on the first base side for a righty. The majority of kids pull their shoulder out and drag the bat, instead of staying inside and throwing the head of the bat at the ball.

From reading this it doesn’t sound like you are a baseball person, not a shot at you at all. Find your kid a hitting coach in the area and let them teach him how to hit.

Listen to this guy. He obviously knows what he is talking about.

As he stated, it could be multiple things. My guess is it's a combination. Find him a hitting coach.

Comment

T work is great...if you have the mechanics right. If not, you're wasting your time.

Comment

I am not a batting coach by any means. Tore my knee up before college ball and went on with my life. Cant really fix the problem on a computer but as a freshman my coach helped me tremendously. I was over stepping and when I did my sight line of the ball was dropping as well causing me to make contact with bottom 1/2 of ball (lots of fouls and fly balls) he had me widen my stance so that essentially I shifted my weight to my back foot and then on the swing transferred all my weight to my forward foot as I opened up through the swing. At first he tied a long shoe string to my shoes connecting my feet and after a few days of practice it became normal. Results equated to line drives and burners between 2nd and 3rd base.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                  Very nice offer sir

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
                  I coached my son's select travel team and my son went on to play college ball but hung up his cleats not long ago. I miss the heck out of coaching and working with my boys!

Comment

Tell the pitcher to stop throwing GAS! that always helps

Comment

I'm located in the ETX area with a lot of baseball knowledge. Played college baseball as well as travel ball for 8 years with guys who are in the MLB. If you are in the Lindale area, hit me up and I would love to spend a couple hours in the cages with ya'll. Like a lot of the guys previously said, there could be a ton of different things leading up to him fouling balls off. I know many drills to get him to stay on top of the ball, keeping bat in the zone, and hand-eye coordination drills.

Comment

Have his eyes checked, not being sarcastic. He could not be picking up the ball when it leaves the pitchers hand causing him a delayed response causing the foul balls. Also not being able to determine what pitch is coming. Curve, FB. Change up.

Boys especially don't want to admit they need glasses. I was in 5th grade when my eye sight got bad, and didn't get glasses for almost another year bc I was embarrassed. Back in the day I batted lead off from t-ball through AAA, then all the sudden I started fouling balls off, striking out and batting average tanked. Got glasses and bam right back in the action.

Comment

Not barreling the ball is common when sliding or lunging. Video some tee work or front toss and focus on his head. Any vertical or horizontal sliding typically results in miss hits vs barreled

Watch the Astros tonight and Micheal Brantley. Emulate as much as you can of that swing and watch how still his head is.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
                            I coached my son's select travel team and my son went on to play college ball but hung up his cleats not long ago. I miss the heck out of coaching and working with my boys!
                            Yes sir I coached for 10 years or so. Not the best coach for sure but a great motivator. Best years of my life.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Hitting coach is your best friend. Yes it cost money, but if he loves the game and wants to play start now. I have played and coached for many years trust me let someone else do the hard work.

Comment

He could be “peeking” a little bit- which means looking up. He’s got to keep his head locked down the entire time. When the head and face moves, the shoulder moves, that pulls the arms up which pulls the hands up, which pulls the bat up. He’s got to see all of the ball to hit it solid. Keep the head frozen and down all the way through the swing. Here’s a great practice tip- sit on a bucket next to him and have him look straight up in the clouds while you toss him 6-8 balls. If he hits one it’ll b pure “luck.” Stress that to him.

Comment

Working...
                                X