No announcement yet.

Let's Talk Pellet Smokers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After much research, I ended up with a GMG.

I haven’t found a pellet blend I like yet though, been thru a couple now.

Comment

I need to buy one soon. Too many options lol.

Comment

Guess I threw my man card away. Ordered a rec tec pellet grille today. Figure it out and set it and forget it for a few hours. Go hunt are whatever and get back to camp and supper is ready.
        Last edited by doghouse; 05-02-2019, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
          Guess I threw my man card away. Ordered a rec tec pellet grille today. Figure it out and set it and forget it for a few hours. Go hunt are whatever and get back to camp and supper is ready.
          You just converted me, cannot beat that whole deal

Comment

This is why I want one, very seldom do I have absolutely nothing to do all day for 10-12 hrs to babysit a smoker. I have a big allseasons smoker and I have to fight it all day to maintain temp and not over smoke or under cook the meat. Nothing worse than starting early, working the smoker all day and pull the meat and be really disappointed in the finished product.

I’m def in the market and want to be the set it and forget it group. Maybe it will never be as good as stick burners “can be”, but at least it will be consistently good.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
              This is why I want one, very seldom do I have absolutely nothing to do all day for 10-12 hrs to babysit a smoker. I have a big allseasons smoker and I have to fight it all day to maintain temp and not over smoke or under cook the meat. Nothing worse than starting early, working the smoker all day and pull the meat and be really disappointed in the finished product.

I’m def in the market and want to be the set it and forget it group. Maybe it will never be as good as stick burners “can be”, but at least it will be consistently good.

This is true, I hate babysitting all day and getting asked (is it ready) by everyone here at home..

Wife gave me a good recipe for brisket and said it was a good, fast and i don't have to babysit/drink all day. I told her let me hear it.

Wake up early, go to rudys, eat lunch and have a few beers then we can do what we want the rest of the day lol. It worked out pretty good last time

Comment

Treager all day IMO ... I have the lil tex at the ranch and is 10 years old I also have the select at the house. Just keep them covered and will last forever.

Comment

Hmm, sold my Primo because I didn't want to risk moving it. Now I might research the pellet option after we get in a new house. Really like ceramic cookers though.

Comment

Yep, liberal hipsters. Beto or Biden?

I'm just jacking with y'all. Lol.

I do that at the lease on a 100.00 barrel pit from HEB. Beans in the crockpot.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                      Hmm, sold my Primo because I didn't want to risk moving it. Now I might research the pellet option after we get in a new house. Really like ceramic cookers though.
                      Look at the black olive

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                        After much research, I ended up with a GMG.

I haven’t found a pellet blend I like yet though, been thru a couple now.
                        I'm a fan of straight Oak. Did it with stick burners and I'm doing it with my GMG Jim Bowie.

I've been loving the B&B Charcoal Oak Pellets. They put out good smoke for me

Comment

Let's Talk Pellet Smokers

I bought a Pit Boss 820 last year when they were on sale at Cabelas.
                          After the first couple of cooks, the food came out great, but I wasn't happy with the temperature swings, so I added a Savanna Stoker PID controller. It's rock steady now.
                          The Pit Boss has a sliding gate over the fire pot that you can open in order to use it as a grill.
                          I've been using B&B post oak pellets and have been very satisfied with the taste.
                          Great bark, and a decent smoke ring.

Comment

I've been running a Traeger Lil Tex for well over 7 years now.

I've baked cookies, smoked skillet jalapeno cornbread and literally everything you would want to smoke on a grill (steaks, turkeys, chicken, sausages, burgers, dogs....all of them).

What the Traeger does for me is, I can make Panini Pressed tuna melt sandwiches inside the kitchen then, take those hot sandwiches out to the smoker and hit them with smoke for the finish.

Or dishes that were cooked in the oven, finished off in the Traeger for that extra smoke finish.

Or left overs when they needed warming - smoke them hot and serve the second day.

Vegetables - cheese - pies......I've done literally everything.

It's a wood burning oven, grill and a slow smoker.

You can start in the Traeger and grill or finish in a super hot oven.

A whole different level versus the traditional wood fired setup in the yard.

Smoked honey ham

Smoked stuffed Florida Pompano

Smoked Amberjack

Brined with brown sugar and smoked King Mackerel

Brisket

Smoked pizza

Dutch Oven smoked San Antonio Red Chili - No Beans - slow simmered for hours

Smoked tuna - then shredded and used for salad toppings and smoked tuna/cheese patti melt sandwiches

Comment

Ok. All that looks amazing. I hope you are all happy. I have been on the fence about getting a pellet smoker. The one I was dreaming about buying new (Yoder YS640) came up used on Facebook that I could afford and now it’s on my patio. Wife said, “ohhh so now I don’t have to cook anymore.” She still has to cook. I’m going to have my buddy that runs a baroque catering place come over and give me the run down on doing brisket, and then I’m off to the races.

Comment

Did a lot of research before buying and for a price range under 700 bucks, GMG beats Traeger for quality, technology and customer service. I bought GMG, Daniel Boone with Wifi and really like it. It was in my price range because I knew I would want to add all the fun add ones like cover, Grill Grates, extra shelves, smoke tube etc. That being said, if I had to do it over or buy another one, it will be the more expensive Yoder brand. They are built like a tank and give a little better smoke result.

Comment

Working...
                                X