Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cover scent of choice for Elk Hunting Colorado?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cover scent of choice for Elk Hunting Colorado?

What's your choice? Pine Scent, Dead down wind, Vanilla concoction?
    Other?

Cow crap

Comment

Rub up against a pine tree and needles....seriously

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hunt the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Second the wind. If your in the back country you are gonna smell bad after a few days. Unscented baby wipes are a plus.
          Last edited by Stoof; 08-28-2019, 09:48 AM.

Comment

3rd the wind. Stay clean as possible.

Comment

You can fool a white tail or at least a white tail has some tolerance for human scent, probably because they are more likely to interact with humans. However, you will NOT fool and elk's nose, especially a cow elk... It's wind, wind, wind... Thermals in the mountains when there's no wind are killers for elk hunters gettin' busted. Elk have a nose like a hog... ain't gonna fool it. It just depends on if said elk has any tolerance for human scent.

Comment

Vanilla spray

Comment

Dirt, if you can find it fresh cow elk pee dirt. We carry a baggie with us and if we come across a pee spot from a cow elk we bag up the dirt and use it for cover scent. Rub it on your clothes. Step in every fresh pile of elk poop you cross as well.
                  Sounds funny but it works. You can smell the difference in elk pee from a cow to a bull, pee spot on the ground looks different too.
                  Staying downwind is the best as stated by all.

Comment

Use the thermals and wind as others said.

x2 on wipes, I also carry a bandanna which has a number of uses, getting it wet and wiping down is one of them. Or swimming/bathing in the creek and drying off w/it.

Comment

Bacon grease and wood smoke.

Comment

Cedar! I pull a big pocket full on my way to the stand and crumble it up as small as possible while sitting as soon as I get settled in

Comment

Out west in the wild country the wind is the only thing you need to worry about.

Comment

wind and merino wool

Comment

Ozone has been a big help for us in the last 2 years. Still hunt the wind but I've had success on game if the wind does a sudden shift. Not 100% but good results

Comment

Working...
                              X