Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smithb164 View Post
    Thanks for the replies thus far!

I am sealed off between the shell and my cab as well, I can leave both of those windows open for airflow. I already have the weather tech window visors so I can leave the windows cracked, just to ensure I have ample airflow and this is one of the reasons I’m not as concerned about water/condensation because of the amount of airflow I have. Then again my thinking could be wrong there.

I have thought about using my truck as my ac/heat source, I’m just not sure about having it sit at idle for hours on end. I’d like to find an alternative and keep the truck as a source for the extreme worst conditions.

Keep the ideas coming!

put a remote start/ kill switch in the bed run it when needed be it heat or ac turn it off when it feels right

Comment

Most definitely, I’m looking into 2 carbon monoxide detectors I can use!

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Make sure your truck bed is sealed up. That will keep it warmer longer. I camped in mine for turkey hunting, and condensation was never an issue, but I have a carpet lined shell. I got a warm sleeping bag and warm clothes. It was in the 20s at night, I was in a 50 degree bag with my clothes on and it was alright. Next time I would bring a warmer bag.

I also ran a jet boil to warm it up inside there. the truck bed leaked so much air, it was cold within minutes, and I wasn't concerned about CO. I wouldn't do it that way again, but it got me by. In the morning when you are getting ready, you can def feel it heat up fast in there while making coffee.

I got nothing for summer. I would get a deep cycle battery and a fan/ac. Also, do some youtubing. There is a guy who had an old Ford with an aluminum topper who had his decked out inside, fans, lights, small fridge, small heater, a stove, all sorts of cool stuff. If I didn't take my topper off in summer, I would do exactly what he did.

Comment

I am looking to do the same. I know it probably inst a Tacoma, but there is a lot of information on there about bed camping.

Comment

I’m in a Ram 2500. I’ve seen a lot of the Tacoma guys and what they do. I just haven’t found many guys that are in the warmer climates talking about what they do.

Anyone can truck bed camp in 40-75 degree weather!

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
                Is the advantage to this simply to get off the ground?

And having a flat surface under your tent were there wouldn't otherwise be one available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

was always colder to me, despite the pads or whatever under me.
                  At least in a camper shell, we were always dry.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel75 View Post
                    Is the advantage to this simply to get off the ground?
                    Mobility and ease of use. It’s folds and unfolds. Also doesn’t restrict storage capacity, of trunk, bed or cab.

Comment

I think I mentioned it on a similar thread. I'm not a big fan of bed tents because then you lose your vehicle for going off and doing things. Quick trips into town for supplies, etc.

I don't much like sleeping on the ground any more, which is why for the most part, I sleep in one of those 8'x7' coleman instant tents (goes up and down in like 2 minutes) with a nice cot. That has served me very well for hunting trips where I need to have portable camp. It is a very quick and fast setup.

If you are bent on wanting to sleep in the bed of your truck though, I'd opt for just buying a nice big tarp that you can put over top your truck and surrounding feet beyond it. Then just put down your sleeping pad and sleep on the bed (very uncomfortable by the way... a $45 cot is way better.) The advantage with the tarp is you stay dry and you get valuable ventilation that a stuffy camper top can't give you. Plus it keeps all the stuff that was in your bed and now on the ground... well... dry. As far as cold goes... bundle up. With the extra ventilation, you could run a buddy heater nearby or, since you have a camper shell, sleep in there.

Comment

10 years ago I did it out of necessity in the back of my Toyota Tacoma (long bed), the shack I was staying in at the deer lease was run down and had a few rats in it. 1 night I awoke to a noise across the room, there was a 6' bull snake under 1 of the beds and it had eaten 1 of the rats.
                        Anyway back to the camper.

Keep in mind this is in deep south Texas (Falfurrias) so the temperatures that year were never below 30*, I borrowed a truck camper shell and slept in it for the remaining of the season. Biggest thing was that it kept me dry and on a few occasions it was colder inside the camper than it was outside. I did put a piece of plywood on the floor of the truck bed and then I would put a rubber pad and I would sleep in my sleeping bag. I was never cold while I slept but it was cold when I got up and out of the sleeping bag. Since it was during the fall months the temperatures were cool and I didn't have to deal with the heat. The camper did have screens on the windows and the breeze flowed through them pretty good.
                        I would do it again, no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by smithb164 View Post
                          I did see a guy that had built a plywood tailgate (so to speak) that he utilized and left his tailgate down. He mounted a window unit in the plywood tailgate and had ac. This would be a possibility, but I’ll need to raise the ac up above my decking system. I was hoping to still be able to utilize my hinged window on my shell though!
                          I did this in my long bed. My raised bed started at the cab and only went back 6 feet. this left two feet of open area from the end of bed to the tailgate / AC. With the vents turned up all was good. FYI, I laid 2x4 on top of bed rails then ply wood on top of 2x4's with a mattress. Not much room above but it gave plenty of room for storage.
                          Last edited by 9452772; 09-06-2018, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Goose Island State Park.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                            X