60lb vs 70lb draw weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

60lb vs 70lb draw weight

So considering if swiching from 60 to 70lbs is worth it. My goal would be to shoot the same speed now but with a heavier arrow. I have seen the 1fps per lb rule of thumb but this doesnt help my situation. Right now shooting an option 6 short draw 27? (Cant remember) arrow weighs approx 365gr. @280fps. So if i switch to 70lbs and adding arrow weight(will have to go up to 340 spine) to keep speed at 280, wonder how heavy that arrow would be?

415-420 grains should have you in the ball park

Comment

Thats a lot better than where i am now

Comment

It’s better, but honestly I don’t think you will notice a difference. I went from 70 ponds shooting all different weight arrows and found any where around 500 gr. to offer the best flight and penetration. I have sense switched to a 60 lb bow, and find the same weight arrows to shoot extremely good, and the penetration difference between the two is so very hard to tell. Both get pass throughs on most animals. Even with lighter arrow/ broad heads combos. A good fixed coc broad head can make more difference then 10 lb of draw weight.

Comment

I would switch over to an arrow with a 50 grain outsert and can get you to around 400 grains. then you could stay at 60 lbs and you're only giving up about 7 FPS but have a better penetrating arrow or you can bump up to 70lbs keeping the speed around the same but still a better performing arrow. I'm not really a fan of an arrow below 400 grains... if you catch any shoulder on an animal that arrow will just stop.

Comment

I like the tight pin gaps of 280fps, right now if i range an animal at 40 and it drifts in and out a yard or 2 im not worried. Much slower at that range, i would get uncomfortable not knowing exactly the range. Dont want to gut shoot a pig lol

Comment

I shoot a 560gr arrow out of a 60lb bow with no problems out to 50yds. Why shoot 70lb? Shoot 60 lb and your shoulder will thank you later on

Comment

What animal are you hunting that would require a 70# bow?

Comment

Working...
                X