Trail cams in hot weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trail cams in hot weather

Do these cams start malfunctioning in hot weather? I have some cams that have been out all summer, and in August they’re taking pics non stop of nothing. Couple thousand pics a week, usually in the hotter part of the day. On a few of them I’m not getting any photos of animals in the pen either.

The corn is gettin wiped out every feed cycle so I know something’s eating it. Just curious as it’s been hotter than hell at the lease and I’ve never had such poor camera performance. This is mainly with my bushbell trophy cams. My brownings seem to be working better

I’ve heard of them acting up with the heat. I didn’t have any issues last season when I was running mine, it gets around 105 on average where I hunt in the summer.

Comment

My theory is that during the day it's so hot that when the wind blows it triggers the heat / motion of the camera so it takes a picture. During the morning / evening when it's not as hot the camera doesn't take a photo just when the wind is blowing because it doesn't pick up the heat / motion... but I really have no idea. I get a lot of blank mid day photos too.

Comment

Getting a little hotter than 105 down in hebbronville. LOL

I changed my feeder settings last week on a couple. The birds are coming in so thick as soon as the feeder goes off the deer never get a chance for it.

Comment

Could they be taking pictures of wind blowing weeds / plants? I had a lot of that from background weeds when i checked cards this weekend. Keeping vegetation trimmed in and around feeder pens helps with this, if of course, that's the problem.

Edit: Nevermind. I didn't realize that picture of the desert was from your pen. No blowing vegetation there. I got nothin'...
          Last edited by mikemorvan; 08-19-2019, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1974 View Post
            Getting a little hotter than 105 down in hebbronville. LOL

I changed my feeder settings last week on a couple. The birds are coming in so thick as soon as the feeder goes off the deer never get a chance for it.
            I’m in El Sauz west of you, it gets hot for sure.

Comment

Dove set mine off.

Comment

No pictures on mine and dead battery on Stealth Camera. I set it a month ago on my protein feed station. Very disappointing...

Comment

Originally posted by laredoarcher View Post
                  Dove set mine off.
                  the birds will set it off in this pen. I have a couple others that it's just thousands of pics of nothing. grass is similar to this one. I just deleted the whole cards though instead of going through 4,000 pics of brown grass

Comment

Heat got to my batteries.

Comment

May be time for a new camera and also check the lease. Sometimes birds start poking them out and they act up. Got 4 years on mine and 2-3 new lenses and it still does take pictures of the heat sometimes. Make sure that t post is in there to.

Comment

Originally posted by odogg View Post
                        No pictures on mine and dead battery on Stealth Camera. I set it a month ago on my protein feed station. Very disappointing...
                        I have already had four StealthCams crash this summer due to the heat.

Comment

This is why i build shade covers for mine

Comment

Comment

I have lost several cameras over the years due to heat. I use covers now or wait to deploy them until fall. Made this for my cell cam. A 5 gallon bucket trimmed out works well too.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X