Game Warden High Fence Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game Warden High Fence Question

Not trying to start a debate on high fence issues, but what is the difference between having a wild publicly owned deer in a high fence versus me having a wild fawn in my backyard?

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
    Not trying to start a debate on high fence issues, but what is the difference between having a wild publicly owned deer in a high fence versus me having a wild fawn in my backyard?
    Illegal I think?

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
      Illegal I think?
      By what definition? Is there a stipulation that states how many acres a high fence must be in order to enclose a wild deer?

Comment

By what definition? Is there a stipulation that states how many acres a high fence must be in order to enclose a wild deer?
        “” it is illegal for any person to own, possess, or have custody of on his premises any wild game animal as a pet within the State of Texas;“” read it on the internet ( so it’s 100% true)

Better check saw this on the game warden field notes website FYI

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
          “” it is illegal for any person to own, possess, or have custody of on his premises any wild game animal as a pet within the State of Texas;“” read it on the internet ( so it’s 100% true)

Better check saw this on the game warden field notes website FYI

What if his backyard was 2 acres? Not trying to argue at all just curious when the high fence becomes different than a back yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This from an article in TPWD magazine. (However, It is from 2003) It says no min or max on acreage.

When Texas Parks and Wildlife staff are asked about these issues, we respond that private landowners in Texas have the legal right to build any kind of fence around their property of whatever height that they want, as long as it does not pose a hazard to people and does not block the flow of water, light or air to other land. As a general rule, there is no minimum or maximum acreage that may be fenced. Moreover, no state agency, including the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, has the authority to regulate the type or height of fences on private land, nor are landowners liable for the restriction of the movement of wild animals by the fences they erect.
            Here's the link

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I believe the difference is, and what they are trying to prevent, is folks raising fawns as pets. You keeping one ‘captive’ in your back yard is for a pet. In a high fence you are raising wild deer for game. Now what you can do, my step dad used too, is build a small high fence pen to raise fawns the game wardens pick up that were abandoned for some reason or another. You do however have to give them back, for release into the wild, at some point. Pretty neat program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

It could be legal if you had a Wildlife Rehabilitation Permit.

Comment

I once tried to purchase a high fence deer breeding operation.....thank goodness that fell through!

After researching it there was a long list of do's and don'ts you had to follow.

Comment

The only difference I can see is whether the deer was inside the high fence when it was erected. On a small acreage high fence the deer would have most likely been added after the fence was built.

Comment

Are you planning on starting a breeding operation? If so you have to get approval from the state for your breeding facility and a facility ID number. It's illegal to capture wild deer and transport them into a facility. Each deer in your facility has to have a unique number which is issued by the state. If you happened to "trap" a deer in your back yard, call TPWD and ask them what to do with it. They may send someone out to catch it or tell you what to do with it.

Comment

Enforcement.

Comment

I understand the reasoning behind the need for Game Wardens to prohibit everyone from capturing and keeping fawns, and I agree with that. My question is what is in the law that says you cannot have a deer inside of a small fence?

No, I am not starting a breeding program, never wanted to and never will.

Comment

I understand the reasoning behind the need for Game Wardens to prohibit everyone from capturing and keeping fawns, and I agree with that. My question is what is in the law that says you cannot have a deer inside of a small fence?

No, I am not starting a breeding program, never wanted to and never will.
                            Call Parks and Wildlife enforcement division and ask them. Then let us know what you find out. It’s an interesting question.

Comment

I fired off this question to someone I know pretty high up in TP&W. I'll see if I can get an answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X