Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-17-2021, 06:00 PM   #1
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX & North TX
Default Fixed Blades are Better...

...than mechanicals is the name of the article that I read today in Field & Stream. It was a good article and I have to say after 17 years of shooting mechanicals and then moving to fixed blades, I agree with much of what is said in the article. Interesting read....

https://www.fieldandstream.com/hunti...n-mechanicals/
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2021, 06:06 PM   #2
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sonora/Sutton County

Tamato… tomato!!! Agree to disagree as that argument will never go away. I do love my rage extreme. Never had a failure or lost an animal

Last edited by txoutdoorsman24; 08-17-2021 at 06:10 PM.
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2021, 06:09 PM   #3
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
Nah. I love my rage extreme. Never had a failure or lost an animal
Did you read the article? It wasn't a mechanical bashing article. I used mechanicals for 17 years and killed countless animals with them. That's not the point of the article.
Old 08-17-2021, 06:16 PM   #4
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

After decades and countless studies, reviews and anecdotal evidence, it has become the the Chevy vs Ford argument of the archery world.
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2021, 07:26 PM   #5
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Pretty good article. Back years ago when Expandable/mechanical broadheads were cheaper, it was cost effective. Now? Its much more worth it to use Fixed blades or at the very least replaceable blade broadheads. Shoot, resharpen, shoot, resharpen etc
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2021, 07:29 PM   #6
RJH1
Ten Point

At least in the article they link to the study that shows a consistent higher recovery rate on deer with mechanicals.......
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2021, 07:50 PM   #7
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
After decades and countless studies, reviews and anecdotal evidence, it has become the the Chevy vs Ford argument of the archery world.
I’m a fixed fan myself…. But I don’t think there are any Broadheads manufactured with only one running light.

Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2021, 08:13 PM   #8
HighwayHunter
Ten Point

If you’re shooting over a 475 grain arrow upwards of 280 FPS penetration with a mechanical probably won’t be an issue. The article didn’t mention various arrow weights, speed or KE so it sounds like a test I can perform. Which wouldn’t be very scientific lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2021, 08:41 PM   #9
Kirby86
Ten Point

Hunt In: 100% Public Land.
Default Fixed Blades are Better...

Something that a lot of these tests don’t take into consideration is a well tuned bow.

I was the shop manager for one of the busier Mathews dealers in DFW for 2 years and I’d often have people tell me that they never broadhead tuned or even checked point of impact when it came to mechanicals. They just screwed em on and away they went.

For fixed blade heads, they seem to require a little bit more diligent shooter in making sure they tune right, have enough fletching (especially for the bigger heads), have enough poundage, etc. but even mechanicals won’t cover up everything on a bad tuned bow.

Personally, I shoot Grim reapers out of my compound and Simmons land sharks out of my recurve. The whitetail specials and whitetail extremes required a little bit of tuning to hit with field tips, but that’s normal for me with fixed blade heads. If I get a bullethole on a paper tune, then fixed blade heads tend to shoot about an inch to the right of field tips. But that’s also why I say paper tuning is just a starting point as well. Bareshaft tuning is always gonna result in the best tune because the fletchings don’t have to do any correction of the arrow. (DISCLAIMER: This is if your form and grip are good enough!!!) But even then some big fixed blades will require tuning. If they don’t spin true they aren’t gonna fly worth a ****.

But with all that said, I’m also a long draw guy. I shoot a 31.5 inch draw length and 70lbs. I’m shooting a 520gr arrow in the 290s out of my Traverse. Only time I haven’t gotten a pass through was when I hit the spine last year on a quartering away shot. If I was to use a fixed blade head, all that energy would go towards killin earthworms.

And I’m not saying I would take a shot out past 60, but I know guys who do regularly. A mechanical is going to be more forgiving of form and wind drift. But use em for what they are, not a bandaid for an untuned bow!

This article is getting dated but it’s interesting nonetheless. I feel like a lot of mechanicals on the market have improved, but there’s still a lotta junk out there.

http://www.seafwa.org/26Pedersen_et_al_163-166.pdf

Last edited by Kirby86; 08-17-2021 at 08:53 PM.
Kirby86 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2021, 10:01 PM   #10
txoutdoorsman24
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sonora/Sutton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineywoods View Post
Did you read the article? It wasn't a mechanical bashing article. I used mechanicals for 17 years and killed countless animals with them. That's not the point of the article.
I read most of it. I’m not bashing fixed blades as I do shoot Kudu heads also.
txoutdoorsman24 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-17-2021, 10:32 PM   #11
joel45acp
Ten Point

Hunt In: Land Baron in Rocksprings TX

I’ve never tried mechanicals since my trusty 25yr old Thunderheads have yet to fail me. I don’t fix what’s not broken......
joel45acp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2021, 08:28 PM   #12
AndyP
Nubbin' Buck

Default F&S Broadhead Article

Perhaps the article should have been re-titled:
"Fixed Blade Broadheads are Better than Mechanical Broadheads (for shooting into cow ribs). And Here's the Proof:"

The author offers no proof that fixed blade broadheads improve the likelihood of deer recovery over mechanicals...
AndyP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2021, 09:45 PM   #13
asu-indian
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas

Fixed blades are better? Define better.
asu-indian is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2021, 09:54 PM   #14
Pineywoods
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by asu-indian View Post
Just the name of the article...
Old 08-24-2021, 09:55 PM   #15
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
Originally Posted by asu-indian View Post
A field and stream journalist said so…

I shoot fixed blades in my compound. I think they are “better” for my setup because I am only shooting 60 lbs.
I shoot mechanicals in my crossbow because 2”+ cut at 400 fps is devastating.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2021, 09:59 PM   #16
Tex
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP View Post
Perhaps the article should have been re-titled:
"Fixed Blade Broadheads are Better than Mechanical Broadheads (for shooting into cow ribs). And Here's the Proof:"

The author offers no proof that fixed blade broadheads improve the likelihood of deer recovery over mechanicals...

I’d say finding all those mechanical Broadheads in the deer shot with rifles is pretty good proof.

Tex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2021, 10:02 PM   #17
Eat’em Up
Spike

I prefer fixed blades when elk hunting mostly because blades seem to rattle out etc.. when in rough country hunting on foot. Hunting stands in Texas mechanicals work great.
Eat’em Up is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2021, 10:08 PM   #18
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

I like both. Fixed blades can’t compete with the devastation of a mechanical though.
Aggiehunter08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2021, 10:45 PM   #19
Low Fence
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
I like both. Fixed blades can’t compete with the devastation of a mechanical though.
Mehh

Take a 2” mechanical…. It has 2” of cutting

A simple slick trick mag… 1 1/8” has 2 1/4” of blood spurting trama. And it’s a square slug hole that gaps open if closed the other way
Old 08-24-2021, 10:52 PM   #20
skelsey
Six Point

I’d like to see proof of all those deer shot with mechanical broad heads inside
skelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-24-2021, 10:54 PM   #21
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
Mehh

Take a 2” mechanical…. It has 2” of cutting

A simple slick trick mag… 1 1/8” has 2 1/4” of blood spurting trama. And it’s a square slug hole that gaps open if closed the other way

A picture is worth a 1000 words. 3 blade whitetail special. I like big nasty mechanicals for deer and fixed for elk and up.

Old 08-24-2021, 10:58 PM   #22
Low Fence
Pope & Young

You can’t shoot a mule deer with a whitetail special! Lol

That’s like wearing Nike socks and under armor shoes
Old 08-25-2021, 07:37 AM   #23
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
You can’t shoot a mule deer with a whitetail special! Lol

That’s like wearing Nike socks and under armor shoes
Lmao! I do wear under armour shorts and reeboks
Old 08-25-2021, 09:11 AM   #24
RifleBowPistol
Ten Point

I have mostly used fixed blades, when I did a lot of bow hunting. I tried mechanical broadheads for two or three seasons. I never recovered a mechanical that was of much use, after being shot into a critter. The concept of mechanicals is good. They can work great, but they can result in major malfunctions. They seem to either work like they are designed to and give great results or they hit bone or something, just right and don't work for crap. I only used mechanicals back in the mid 90s, I am sure there are some better designs out there now. It would take a very good design to be greatly improved over the broadheads I used years ago. The two big issues I see, are the blades getting ripped off and or bent and twisted, when they hit bone. Then if they hit the wrong spot at the wrong angle, they likely won't penetrate much at all, if the blades are strong enough to not get ripped off.

During those two or three seasons, I used mechanicals. I tried two different mechanicals. I don't have any idea what they were. They were just bent twisted and ripped pieces of junk after I shot them. I did have some good kills with them on a couple of occasions.

After the two years I used mechanicals, and recovered every arrow I shot. I concluded that they were not as reliable as I wanted. Yes fixed blade broad heads have their problems also. I have had fixed blade broadheads hit one small twig and make 45 degree direction changes instantly. That has stuck in my mind ever since.
I love shooting rabbits with field tips and blunts. It was fun shooting rabbits, I did not have to worry about a broad head catching a twig and making a drastic flight path change. I shot through very heavy brush all the time, seldom had a arrow deflected. I did a couple times, out of many shots, was not a big deal. Most of my rabbit hunting was in very thick brush down south. I killed a lot of rabbits in that brush. But then when I would see deer or pig I wanted to shoot, I would be using broadheads. So that changed things quite a bit. I then had to be very aware of twigs, limbs, ECT. There have been a lot of shots, I have not taken, because I was not sure, a broadhead was going to get past a limb or twig without hitting it and deflecting. Basically hunting with broadheads, definitely adds more ways things can go wrong.

In all my years of bow hunting, I only had one fix blade broadhead get deflected by a twig. That caused me to be very aware of twigs and brush, in the arrows flight path.

Mechanicals, if you make shots only through the rib cage, can work very well. Many occasions, I have had the opportunity to shoot a deer, or pig, but was never given a good broadside shot. On those occasions, I don't want a mechanical. When the mechanicals work like they are designed to, they are definitely impressive. Until the miracle mechanical comes out, I am going too stick to simple and reliable. If you put the arrow in the right spot, a common fixed blade, will kill quickly. It would be nice to shoot a broadhead, that would fly like a field tip.

Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 08-25-2021 at 09:22 AM.
RifleBowPistol is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2021, 10:48 AM   #25
kd350
Ten Point

Hunt In: Regan wells, fedor, paige

Quote:
A picture is worth a 1000 words. 3 blade whitetail special. I like big nasty mechanicals for deer and fixed for elk and up.

Now that’s what I’m talking about.

For record, I shoot both for this very reason. And I have a setup that I can
kd350 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2021, 10:57 AM   #26
44mAG
Ten Point

Just a personal preference based around their own personal experiences. I first shot fixed, but then wanted a part of the mechanical hype! I started shooting grim reaper whitetail specials mainly for the filed point accuracy and large cut.

Unfortunately, my first animal to try them on was a buck down on the Chaparral about 6 years ago after being drawn for the archery hunt. 25 yd shot at last light. Not sure what happened, but the buck ran off with my arrow in his shoulder, and it fell out 100 yds or so away. Found the arrow and only got about 3" of penetration. Never found the deer.

Needless to say that was the last time I shot them. I switched to Ramcats soon after and have never not had a pass through and never not killed the deer. Who knows, if my first experience would have been better, I may still be shooting mechanicals today.
44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2021, 11:21 AM   #27
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

In a tuned bow/arrow I don't think there is much difference. IMO, in an untuned bow/arrow both have their shortcoming. Face it many people have a hard time having a perfect arrow flight due to tuning, form, or both. For those people mechanical is more likely to hit where you aim with less penetration and a fixed will get better penetration but not as close to where you aim if arrow flight isn't perfect. Still a pick your poison...
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2021, 11:44 AM   #28
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd350 View Post
Now that’s what I’m talking about.

For record, I shoot both for this very reason. And I have a setup that I can
Key works for the big mechanicals You need a heavy arrow shot from serious draw weight. Hybrids are the best of both worlds. In the end all that matters is shot placement.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:49 AM   #29
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
In the end all that matters is shot placement.
And in the end, just about every animal is moving by the time the arrow arrives so shot placement is not guaranteed.
Duckologist is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2021, 11:56 AM   #30
JeffK
Ten Point

So fixed are better for shooting through a calf. Rage xtreme work pretty good on deer.
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2021, 11:58 AM   #31
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckologist View Post
And in the end, just about every animal is moving by the time the arrow arrives so shot placement is not guaranteed.
Lol. With proper setup and knowing when to shoot this eliminates the “jump string factor”. I’ve shot probably 150 animals and have had 1 doe possibly “jump the string” causing a miss.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:04 PM   #32
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

this horse is dead after hundreds of articles failing to prove either is 'better'.
Shot placement + practice. No one is guaranteed anything when using bows/arrows.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2021, 12:04 PM   #33
FVR JR
Ten Point

Hunt In: Someplace, TX

I wonder if the indians sat around arguing if flint or obsidian was better...
FVR JR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2021, 12:04 PM   #34
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
Lol. With proper setup and knowing when to shoot this eliminates the “jump string factor”. I’ve shot probably 150 animals and have had 1 doe possibly “jump the string” causing a miss.
I'm not necessarily saying jumping the string to cause a miss. I'm just saying moving, they may only get an inch of movement before the arrow gets there but more times than not they are moving.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:05 PM   #35
Duckologist
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVR JR View Post
I wonder if the indians sat around arguing if flint or obsidian was better...
I bet they did lol
Old 08-25-2021, 12:09 PM   #36
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckologist View Post
I'm not necessarily saying jumping the string to cause a miss. I'm just saying moving, they may only get an inch of movement before the arrow gets there but more times than not they are moving.
Understood. I try and shoot when they not moving (eating/drinking/looking away). Ideal is when they have no clue what hit them Moving shots are tough and require lots of practice and experience.
Old 08-25-2021, 12:21 PM   #37
James
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

I’ve killed a lot of deer with mechanicals, 99% of time work perfect and leave a crazy hole. It will only take one time to ruin it all. I’m going back to fixed this season and excited. It took some very fine tuning but I have my fixed flying true to my field points out to 60 right now. Hurry up Season!
If you guys haven’t seen this video, watch Waddell have a mechanical bounce off a Booner Buck, might help your decision on whatever you chose.
Shot is around the 1:59 mark
https://youtu.be/w2oiQtMZJ94
James is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2021, 12:29 PM   #38
Aggiehunter08
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I’ve killed a lot of deer with mechanicals, 99% of time work perfect and leave a crazy hole. It will only take one time to ruin it all. I’m going back to fixed this season and excited. It took some very fine tuning but I have my fixed flying true to my field points out to 60 right now. Hurry up Season!
If you guys haven’t seen this video, watch Waddell have a mechanical bounce off a Booner Buck, might help your decision on whatever you chose.
Shot is around the 1:59 mark
https://youtu.be/w2oiQtMZJ94
Had a very similar experience years ago with a rage hypo. Have now switched to Grim Reaper and their tips are designed to continue penetrating and not get deflected. Heck I've seen a 7mag bullet get deflected off a deer!
Old 08-25-2021, 12:37 PM   #39
James
Ten Point

Hunt In: Everywhere

Quote:
Had a very similar experience years ago with a rage hypo. Have now switched to Grim Reaper and their tips are designed to continue penetrating and not get deflected. Heck I've seen a 7mag bullet get deflected off a deer!
I killed buck in my profile pic and about ten other bucks with Rage Hypo, all pass through amazing blood trail, like throwing an axe through a deer. Had a bad experience with Grim Reaper on the only buck I shot with one. He died within 100 yards but horrible penetration, poor blood and all blades did not open.

At the end of the day it’s all about what you’re confident in. If I can get a big cut diameter fixed head to fly Exactly the same as a mechanical it’s a no brainer for me.
James is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2021, 12:55 PM   #40
Speedgoat
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, etc.

I, like many others, have tried the Rage hype train out for myself, with varying results. I lost confidence in them and now shoot Grim Reaper. I love fixed blades, but I have yet to find one that leaves a good blood trail. The Hell Razor by NAP flies better than any other broadhead in my toolkit. I just wish it left a decent blood trail. The Silver flames may be worth considering.
Speedgoat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2021, 01:14 PM   #41
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Grim Reapers make monster holes and I've never had one fail. Having said that I only use them in windy conditions where there's not much risk of brush or grass getting in the way. Normally I'll reach for a plain old Slick Trick for the best all around head for general use. Having a tuned bow is important to be able to switch back and forth and shoot what you want for the conditions, not to mention getting the best performance out of the bow.

As for the jumping the string stuff, we primarily hunt Amistad and save for a doe I walked up on in 25+ mph sustained winds and a buck that was sound asleep I've never had a deer still in the same spot from when I shot to when the arrow arrived, those deer are insanely spooky. Over the years I've probably had 5 bucks straight up completely dodge an arrow between 12 and 35 yards. The deer at 12 was about to fight another buck and had it's head down, when I release I swear his belly hit the ground like Bambi on ice as the arrow went right over his back. I also had a broadside doe twist away from an arrow, arrow went exactly where I aimed but she rotated out and away so fast her chest wasn't there anymore.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2021, 01:21 PM   #42
HighwayHunter
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelsey View Post
I’d like to see proof of all those deer shot with mechanical broad heads inside

Yeah that sounds like ranch fairy sponsored propaganda lol

HighwayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-25-2021, 01:25 PM   #43
c3products20
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayHunter View Post
Yeah that sounds like ranch fairy sponsored propaganda lol

I was wondering when someone was going to say it!!!
c3products20 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top