Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-12-2021, 11:55 PM   #1
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma
Default Jehovah's Witness question?

So I know a few Jehovah's Witnesses and just yesterday got on the topic of death somehow and one guy I know told me what will happen after death. Which isn't anything like what I grew up hearing from a religious standpoint. So they believe every person doesn't go to heaven or hell. That they'll raise from the dead in a new body correct? From the way he explained it everyone will be the same person in a different body.

After thinking about it I don't know if I can get on board with that. So does that apply for everyone, good or bad? There are some people throughout history I really don't want to meet in the afterlife if I can be completely honest.

Not trying to start a debate. Just trying to see things from someone else's point of view.

I guess where I'm really confused is why go to church and believe in something if we're all going to end up in the same place in the end?

Last edited by okrattler; 08-12-2021 at 11:57 PM.
okrattler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 12:45 AM   #2
matagordian
Eight Point

Depends what you believe.

Got preached to at work for 18 years by different denominations. They were all a bit different.
matagordian is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 12:52 AM   #3
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by matagordian View Post
Depends what you believe.

Got preached to at work for 18 years by different denominations. They were all a bit different.
Yeah that's kind of how this conversation was. I felt like I was being preached to. Which is fine. I'm not offended by what people believe as long as they're not trying to kill me for what I believe in. I'd just never heard that or really ever thought about what Jehovah's Witnesses believe in.

It was a bit confusing. I can't really wrap my mind around a serial killer,rapist or child molester being brought back from the dead in perfect condition the same as me. But who knows......

Last edited by okrattler; 08-13-2021 at 12:56 AM.
Old 08-13-2021, 05:39 AM   #4
Hogmauler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerrville

Read about the criminals that were crucified with Christ. One mocked Him and the other asked to remember him when He came into His kingdom. The Bible will answer all your questions young man. Only God truly knows the condition of a persons heart and wether the person was genuinely repentant. Regarding your point, yes it’s hard to fathom a serial killer going to heaven , but the Bible says nothing is impossible with God.
Hogmauler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 05:43 AM   #5
tradman
Six Point

Hunt In: Grayson

I never got into discussions with JW's as much as I did the LDS, but from what I gather in the little studying I have done into their beliefs, they believe that when a person dies their body and souls die. So when you die, you cease to exist body and spirit. They then believe that after the world is destroyed 144,000 of the most faithful followers will be resurrected in new bodies.

Like most religions similar to Christianity, the JW beliefs were started by a person who had a misunderstanding of scripture.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
tradman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 05:58 AM   #6
Hogmauler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradman View Post
I never got into discussions with JW's as much as I did the LDS, but from what I gather in the little studying I have done into their beliefs, they believe that when a person dies their body and souls die. So when you die, you cease to exist body and spirit. They then believe that after the world is destroyed 144,000 of the most faithful followers will be resurrected in new bodies.

Like most religions similar to Christianity, the JW beliefs were started by a person who had a misunderstanding of scripture.

Boom! Mic drop! Misunderstanding is the key word. Again, itís all there to read in Gods word.
Old 08-13-2021, 07:39 AM   #7
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fairfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogmauler View Post
Boom! Mic drop! Misunderstanding is the key word. Again, itís all there to read in Gods word.
If anyone wants a glimpse into some misunderstandings, read Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer. Yikes
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 07:45 AM   #8
tradman
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpitdog View Post
If anyone wants a glimpse into some misunderstandings, read Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer. Yikes
Isn't that a look into the polygamous branches of the LDS? I've heard I needed to read that book, but the LDS missionaries I was meeting with didn't fall into that category.

Old 08-13-2021, 07:49 AM   #9
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5

No idea what they believe but went to one funeral for an old neighbor and from what I understood the guy officiating said they go to somewhere between this life and the next for a chance to get into heaven on some kind of second chance

At least that is what I understood them to be talking about
BTLowry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 07:56 AM   #10
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fairfield

Quote:
Isn't that a look into the polygamous branches of the LDS? I've heard I needed to read that book, but the LDS missionaries I was meeting with didn't fall into that category.

Yes sir. Iím all for freedom of religion but the lengths the FLDS goes to, especially with extremely underaged girls, is disturbing. Warren Jeffs is still sitting his *** in prison for life+20.
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 08:07 AM   #11
tradman
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
No idea what they believe but went to one funeral for an old neighbor and from what I understood the guy officiating said they go to somewhere between this life and the next for a chance to get into heaven on some kind of second chance

At least that is what I understood them to be talking about
That sounds like LDS beliefs. Not saying that doesn't align with JW's, but the LDS believe if you don't have salvation through their church, then you can be witnessed to in the afterlife, accept their beliefs and if someone on Earth is baptized for you, then you get admission into heaven.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:08 AM   #12
Bjankowski
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Texas

Like it or not take it with a grain if salt if you like but the Bible says.

Philippians 2:10-11 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

It says EVERY TONGUE will confess that Jesus Christ is lord.. for some it will be too late.

JW, LDS are like many other cults, they stray from the what the word of God says, nothing but made religions started in the late 1860's. They are no different that the followers of Jim Jones. Dead in Road!

Jn 3:16 has never been more true and needed than in these days.
Bjankowski is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 08:15 AM   #13
BigCountry101
Four Point

Quote:

I've never understood how you could believe the 144k piece and still be a JW. A quick google says there are currently around 8 million JW worldwide. Those 144k passes are going to fill up quick!
BigCountry101 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 08:21 AM   #14
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
Yeah that's kind of how this conversation was. I felt like I was being preached to. Which is fine. I'm not offended by what people believe as long as they're not trying to kill me for what I believe in. I'd just never heard that or really ever thought about what Jehovah's Witnesses believe in.

It was a bit confusing. I can't really wrap my mind around a serial killer,rapist or child molester being brought back from the dead in perfect condition the same as me. But who knows......
I have the same issue with said seriel killer/rapiat being saved and going to heaven but a good honest person going to hell because they might not belive the bible.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 08-13-2021 at 09:08 AM.
Burntorange Bowhunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 08:22 AM   #15
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry101 View Post
I've never understood how you could believe the 144k piece and still be a JW. A quick google says there are currently around 8 million JW worldwide. Those 144k passes are going to fill up quick!
It comes from Revelation Chapters 7 & 14, more specifically 14:3-5 which indicates ONLY 144k on earth will be redeemed.

ďand they were singing a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and before the elders. No one could learn that song except the 144,000 who had been redeemed from the earth. It is these who have not defiled themselves with women, for they are virgins. It is these who follow the Lamb wherever he goes. These have been redeemed from mankind as firstfruits for God and the Lamb, and in their mouth no lie was found, for they are blameless.Ē

How do you create value in something? Make it rare, scarcity always makes things appreciate
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 08:23 AM   #16
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

Glad thereís a BahŠʼŪ Faith , with so much doubt and worry!!!
We must unite under one All powerful God no matter his name
Attached Images

Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 08-13-2021 at 08:27 AM.
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 08:27 AM   #17
tradman
Six Point

OP to answer your original question in a little bit more depth. The JW's are not meaning that everyone will be in the same place for eternity. They believe in "faith through works". The person who started the religion took the bible out of context and ignored Jesus' teachings. The 144,000 in the Bible refers to the chosen people of God, the Jews.

To the best of my understanding the JW's teach that "works" are they way into the kingdom and during their time on earth are earning merit to basically compete their way into heaven. The 144,000 in the JW are believers who do "the most good" and will get to be with God in his kingdom. So they believe after we die we DIE and those 144,000 top tier believers will be resurrected.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:37 AM   #18
tradman
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
Glad thereís a BahŠʼŪ Faith , with so much doubt and worry!!!
We must unite under one All powerful God no matter his name
That is a topic for another thread... especially the "no matter his name" part.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:49 AM   #19
RedBear78
Six Point

Hunt In: Warren,Sourlake,Angelina forest

Yea it’s true most main stream religions even some denominations in same town have varied beliefs.I’ve studied and studied and based on what I can tell JWs are by the book from Genesis to Revelation they have researched bibles and studied verbiage from the original writings.Just like the soul doctrine Genesis 2:7 it says man is a living soul not he has a living soul.Multiple times throughout the Bible it mention death as sleeping,I think Jesus and Paul mentioned that prior to resurrecting a person they referred to them sleeping in death.Over and over it mentions who will inhabit the earth Psalms 37:9,10 11,29-The righteousness will possess the earth and they will live forever on it.Matthew 5:5-Happy are the mild tempered for the will inherit the earth. Revelation 21:3,4 says that death and pain will be done away with that means here on earth there is no pain and tears in heaven.Ecclesiastes 1:4 tells us that the earth will last forever.The Bible also mentions a heavenly calling the Apostle Paul expressed his faith and hope in this but Revelation explains what those with the heavenly calling will do Revelation 5:9,10 says they will be kings and priest over the earth bought from all nations.I will not ever be presumptuous and say who that is or is not.As mentioned above a lot has to to with the heart just like the sinner put to death beside Jesus.Jesus gave him forgiveness and said he would be with him in paradise,not that he would be with him that day in paradise.Paul and Jesus said that there would be some resurrected in the blink of an eye it makes sense to me that those would be the kings and priest that rule with Christ,the others it mentions that they are asleep in death waiting a resurrection John:6:38-40.At John 11:24 Lazarus sister Mary expressed faith in the future resurrection.Acts 10:42,43 mentions God being a god over the dead awaiting resurrection Daniel 12,2 backs this up too.The Gospels and Paul’s writings along with the entire Bible speak of two different classes and resurrections it’s undeniable.Some have a heavenly calling some will inherit the earth.Gods originally purpose was a clean peaceful earth filled with clean peaceful people his purpose has not changed In doing research I have my opinion on who makes up the Kings and priests of heaven and who don’t but it’s not my place to dogmatically say.Personally I hope to be here on earth mainly I don’t think I qualify 1 Corinthians 11:29,but if I pass away and get resurrected any which way I’m sure I won’t complain.I’ve talked to many who have a specific belief or goal and faith I think there will be many who are resurrected and will be surprised at where they are but I’m sure they won’t complain either.No mater what the end result for an individual faith confidence baptism a good relationship with Jesus ant the Father are essential Rom10:13.But an answer to OPs question there is more to the story of all good folks go to heaven,but a lot of folks don’t dig much past the surface.A lot of misunderstandings come from mainstream christian traditions and what gran dad,dad and others believe.My dad told me to put in the time research and find scripture to back up everything I believe and for sure back up what I may tell others.
RedBear78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 08:50 AM   #20
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

I believe everyone will get a resurrected body, but not everyone will enter in to heaven.
Reference: Revelation chapt. 20:4-15. Everyone will be judged for their good works (the books) but anyone's name not found in (the book) of life will be thrown into the lake of fire. A person would need an eternal body to live eternally in heaven and likewise to be eternally tormented in hell.
I think there will be some mean vile FORGIVEN people in heaven and some very good people, who rejected Jesus' gift of salvation, that will be in hell.

Last edited by Pstraw; 08-13-2021 at 09:05 AM.
Pstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 08:53 AM   #21
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
I have the same issue with said seriel killer/rapiat being saved and going to heaven butca good honest person going to hell because they might not belive the bible.

I've never read the Bible all the way through. I've asked Jesus into my heart and from the best of my understanding that's the only way to get to heaven. But having said that, if I do a bunch of bad things God will know. I don't expect a one way ticket to heaven just because of that. God knows what's in a person's heart. If God is forgiving as the Bible says I don't doubt people of all kinds will be in heaven. But I don't think God is a pushover either. If it's not sincere I think there are people that go to church every Sunday that won't be in heaven.

Just my personal opinion on something man has worded and reworded throughout history.
Old 08-13-2021, 08:59 AM   #22
JB_Archery
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas, New Mexico & Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playa View Post
It comes from Revelation Chapters 7 & 14, more specifically 14:3-5 which indicates ONLY 144k on earth will be redeemed.

ďand they were singing a new song before the throne and before the four living creatures and before the elders. No one could learn that song except the 144,000 who had been redeemed from the earth. It is these who have not defiled themselves with women, for they are virgins. It is these who follow the Lamb wherever he goes. These have been redeemed from mankind as firstfruits for God and the Lamb, and in their mouth no lie was found, for they are blameless.Ē

How do you create value in something? Make it rare, scarcity always makes things appreciate
I guess they overlook Revelation 7:9-17 and the Great Multitude that no one could count...
JB_Archery is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 09:01 AM   #23
Bigfootwolff
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County, Colorado County

To the OP, the JW's believe of you are not one of the 144,000, you will eternally sleep after death. The also do not believe in the Trinity. They believe Jesus was the archangel Michael and the Holy Spirit is an impersonal force (think electricity). They do not equate Jesus and the Holy Spirit as being separate and equal forms of God. They also do not believe Jesus was crucified on a cross, instead they believe he was hung on a death stake.

I am not hear to bash other religions, but to give the OP some basic information about JW's, some of which notes how different JW's are from traditional Christian faith.
Bigfootwolff is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 09:08 AM   #24
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tyler County
Default Jehovah's Witness question?

I donít know much about the JW faith, but I figured out in the 2nd grade, when this kid named Danny had to sit out of all our school Holiday parties, that I was glad to be a Baptist!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 09:09 AM   #25
Hart8
Pope & Young

Hunt In: concho co. tx

They are firm in their beliefs.I respect the hell out of them..I don't know exactly what's gonna happen after I die..That's one reason I give to those that need it,and refrain from killing those who don't.
Hart8 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 09:10 AM   #26
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pstraw View Post
I believe everyone will get a resurrected body, but not everyone will enter in to heaven.
Reference: Revelation chapt. 20:4-15. Everyone will be judged for their good works (the books) but anyone's name not found in (the book) of life will be thrown into the lake of fire. A person would need an eternal body to live eternally in heaven and likewise to be eternally tormented in hell.
I think there will be some mean vile FORGIVEN people in heaven and some very good people, who rejected Jesus' gift of salvation, that will be in hell.
That system needs to be retooled a bit.

Old 08-13-2021, 09:29 AM   #27
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

I guess going door to door via bike and handing out watchtowers magazines is a must on your resume when you apply for one of the 144,000 spots.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 09:51 AM   #28
Bigfootwolff
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County, Colorado County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man View Post
I guess going door to door via bike and handing out watchtowers magazines is a must on your resume when you apply for one of the 144,000 spots.
Bingo
Bigfootwolff is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 10:03 AM   #29
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

JW @ the door: Could we have a minute of your time??

Me: No

JW: Don't you want to have eternal life in heaven??

Me: Not if it's going to be with a bunch of JW.

I think it was George Carlin who had that bit...his skits on religions were the best.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 10:23 AM   #30
RedBear78
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBear78 View Post
Yea itís true most main stream religions even some denominations in same town have varied beliefs.Iíve studied and studied and based on what I can tell JWs are by the book from Genesis to Revelation they have researched bibles and studied verbiage from the original writings.Just like the soul doctrine Genesis 2:7 it says man is a living soul not he has a living soul.Multiple times throughout the Bible it mention death as sleeping,I think Jesus and Paul mentioned that prior to resurrecting a person they referred to them sleeping in death.Over and over it mentions who will inhabit the earth Psalms 37:9,10 11,29-The righteousness will possess the earth and they will live forever on it.Matthew 5:5-Happy are the mild tempered for the will inherit the earth. Revelation 21:3,4 says that death and pain will be done away with that means here on earth there is no pain and tears in heaven.Ecclesiastes 1:4 tells us that the earth will last forever.The Bible also mentions a heavenly calling the Apostle Paul expressed his faith and hope in this but Revelation explains what those with the heavenly calling will do Revelation 5:9,10 says they will be kings and priest over the earth bought from all nations.I will not ever be presumptuous and say who that is or is not.As mentioned above a lot has to to with the heart just like the sinner put to death beside Jesus.Jesus gave him forgiveness and said he would be with him in paradise,not that he would be with him that day in paradise.Paul and Jesus said that there would be some resurrected in the blink of an eye it makes sense to me that those would be the kings and priest that rule with Christ,the others it mentions that they are asleep in death waiting a resurrection John:6:38-40.At John 11:24 Lazarus sister Mary expressed faith in the future resurrection.Acts 10:42,43 mentions God being a god over the dead awaiting resurrection Daniel 12,2 backs this up too.The Gospels and Paulís writings along with the entire Bible speak of two different classes and resurrections itís undeniable.Some have a heavenly calling some will inherit the earth.Gods originally purpose was a clean peaceful earth filled with clean peaceful people his purpose has not changed In doing research I have my opinion on who makes up the Kings and priests of heaven and who donít but itís not my place to dogmatically say.Personally I hope to be here on earth mainly I donít think I qualify 1 Corinthians 11:29,but if I pass away and get resurrected any which way Iím sure I wonít complain.Iíve talked to many who have a specific belief or goal and faith I think there will be many who are resurrected and will be surprised at where they are but Iím sure they wonít complain either.No mater what the end result for an individual faith confidence baptism a good relationship with Jesus ant the Father are essential Rom10:13.But an answer to OPs question there is more to the story of all good folks go to heaven,but a lot of folks donít dig much past the surface.A lot of misunderstandings come from mainstream christian traditions and what gran dad,dad and others believe.My dad told me to put in the time research and find scripture to back up everything I believe and for sure back up what I may tell others.
It amazes me how much JW miss information is on here.I was married to one for 20 years and if there is any one group that lives by Bible teaching and standards itís JWs.So many main stream churches canít get the basics right like who to even pray to or use Gods name.They want to celebrate deeply pagan customs and holidays and try to sanction it by the church and try and push nationalism as some kind of Christian belief.I have friends from all kinds of religions and there great faithful people but most canít give me scripture backing for their belief for they can only quote onerous 2.There will be multitudes resurrected from the dead but the 144,000 is a sealed number for a special purpose.Revelation speaks of a multitude of folks before the throne but it doesnít say there actually in heaven. Passing out WatchTowere wonít get you salvation but actively preaching and teaching is a part of a true Christians life.I for the life of me canít understand why there arenít more churches that donít promote this and actively and perpetually engage in the preaching work.A cult is a group that follows a man or false belief system JWs as a group study the Bible through and through every week and use it as a mirror and a magnifying glass on there beliefs and personalityís.Evey time Iíve ever been to there meetings I was surprised at the biblical basis for all there teaching and not just English wording but deep research on the Hebrew and Greek wording of the original writings.Do they have it all correct, no way but they do there best to apply and examine every scripture and rely on grace and mercy to fill in the gaps.
Old 08-13-2021, 10:25 AM   #31
jaspermac
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper/Doole

Don’t confuse a relationship with Jesus with a cult

My opinion…if only 144,000 are going to heaven, why wouldn’t they want to keep it to themselves so there won’t be any competition?
jaspermac is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 10:30 AM   #32
Hogmauler
Pope & Young

Read Heaven, by Alcon. Don’t remember his first name.
Old 08-13-2021, 10:34 AM   #33
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaspermac View Post
Donít confuse a relationship with Jesus with a cult

My opinionÖif only 144,000 are going to heaven, why wouldnít they want to keep it to themselves so there wonít be any competition?
I don't know anything about JW's but if only 144,000 go to heaven wouldn't it have been full a really long time ago?

Old 08-13-2021, 10:39 AM   #34
Landrover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever & Whenever

i have not seen a religion yet that was not quirky in some aspect. A little thing called FAITH is mandatory to walk in any religious order.
Landrover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 10:39 AM   #35
tradman
Six Point

"A cult is a group that follows a man or false belief system JWs as a group study the Bible through and through every week and use it as a mirror and a magnifying glass on there beliefs and personalityís"

JW by definition would be considered a cult. They have numerous times throughout the years had a leaders that prophesied about the end times with specific dates that did not come to fruition (false prophets). The foundations of JW started in the 1800's by a man who had a vision involving bright lights and came out of this vision with a version of Jesus which contradicted what Jesus taught his followers about himself.

I am not using this thread to start anything more than healthy discussion. I will not have a discussion over religion that leads to hostility or animosity. That was my rule with the LDS missionaries and the JW that I have had contact with. I believe that LDS and JW are some of the nicest and most genuinely good people I have ever met, but the dividing line between our spiritual beliefs mainly comes down to what Jesus revealed about himself.

Last edited by tradman; 08-13-2021 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-13-2021, 10:52 AM   #36
rolylane6
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wise county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
That system needs to be retooled a bit.

Good luck with that

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 11:35 AM   #37
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
I donít know much about the JW faith, but I figured out in the 2nd grade, when this kid named Danny had to sit out of all our school Holiday parties, that I was glad to be a Baptist!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That reminds me of the 3rd grade. I went home fightin mad because a girl in my class didn't stand and say The Pledge of Allegiance with the rest of the class. I was offended and come to find out she was Jehovah's Witness. I didn't know nothin about it I thought she was commie or somethin.
Old 08-13-2021, 11:35 AM   #38
RedBear78
Six Point

Quote:
"A cult is a group that follows a man or false belief system JWs as a group study the Bible through and through every week and use it as a mirror and a magnifying glass on there beliefs and personalityís"

JW by definition would be considered a cult. They have numerous times throughout the years had a leaders that prophesied about the end times with specific dates that did not come to fruition (false prophets). The foundations of JW started in the 1800's by a man who had a vision involving bright lights and came out of this vision with a version of Jesus which contradicted what Jesus taught his followers about himselff

I am not using this thread to start anything more than healthy discussion. I will not have a discussion over religion that leads to hostility or animosity. That was my rule with the LDS missionaries

and the JW that I have had contact with. I believe that LDS and JW are some of the nicest and most genuinely good people I have ever met, but the dividing line between our spiritual beliefs mainly comes down to what Jesus revealed about himself.
No sir there is a lil confusion to the bright lights and new revelations.I know who your talking about but JWs didnít come up with that.They just use the Bible explain who Jesus was and is and nothing else except historical evidence to back up biblical teachings.Iíve looked up individual prophecyís but canít really find any Dogmatic JW publications on specific events or prophecy.Iíve tried to find faults and went down a many rabbit holes but by and large the religion has been pretty accurate especially with trying to promote clean living and biblical teaching.Iíve never seen such a group try and pattern there life and teaching after Jesus example.They have a website JW.org that Iíve researched a lot over the years to get to the root of their thought process.Iím quite impressed there is always a scripture or many scriptures behind every thing and a lot of archeological and historical facts to support the Bible and its teachings.No matter what your Christian faith look up there documentary on the Bible itís very faith strengthening.Itís really amazing how the Bible came about over all these years and how accurate it is compared to anything else.
Old 08-13-2021, 11:49 AM   #39
Outback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano primarily

There's a great reference book that I have with chapters on both LDS and JWs among others. It would offer some perspective. The book is Kingdom of the Cults by Dr. Walter Martin. He used to d a radio show that I listened to on my way home from work in the 1990's. He may still be on for all I know. It's worth having on the shelf. Less than $5 on Ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/14208086984...Cclp%3A2334524
Outback is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 11:49 AM   #40
Death from Above
Pope & Young

To the OP

JW do not hold a biblical view of Who Jesus is.

Or more properly who Jesus said He was.

Due to that quagmire, their explanation of His words will be skewed. I know many JW and have had great conversations with them away from the church and in a friendly setting. Again this conversation took place after befriending them for awhile…they can be very standoffish about thwir faith due to the way they are attacked
Death from Above is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 11:51 AM   #41
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

I thought the Jehovah's Witnesses get their own planet to rule over, or am I thinking of the Mormons? One of those two also have some secret underwear they never take off or something too. Don't confuse either with Christian beliefs, they are not like Christians.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 12:15 PM   #42
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
I thought the Jehovah's Witnesses get their own planet to rule over, or am I thinking of the Mormons? One of those two also have some secret underwear they never take off or something too. Don't confuse either with Christian beliefs, they are not like Christians.
I think Scientology does wear underwear and Mormon/ LDS wear a extra pair?
Old 08-13-2021, 12:21 PM   #43
matagordian
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry101 View Post
Quick thought, WHAT if they already filled up?
matagordian is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 12:26 PM   #44
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young

I've stayed out of religious discussions mainly due to politics but this one keeps trying to suck me back in. Lol.

Old 08-13-2021, 12:33 PM   #45
okrattler
Pope & Young

They also can't get blood transfusions. I forget the reason behind that.

I don't really ever go to the hospital so I could get behind that religion where you don't go to the hospital at all. I bet those people save a ton of money. I bet they also die more often than people in other religions. Excluding the hardcore Muslims that follow Allah's rules.....because uhhh.....well.....you know.
Old 08-13-2021, 12:53 PM   #46
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Some of these religions were born or created way back when all forms of drugs were legal. Even the American Indian had visions. Probably from the nightshade plants and shrooms they ate.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 01:07 PM   #47
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Default No vampire JW

Quote:

I don't really ever go to the hospital so I could get behind that religion where you don't go to the hospital at all. I bet those people save a ton of money. I bet they also die more often than people in other religions. Excluding the hardcore Muslims that follow Allah's rules.....because uhhh.....well.....you know.
ďĒ Jehovah's Witnesses believe that a human must not sustain his life with another creature's blood, and they recognize no distinction "between taking blood into the mouth and taking it into the blood vessels." It is their deep-seated religious conviction that Jehovah will turn his back on anyone who receives blood ďĒ
Old 08-13-2021, 01:22 PM   #48
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:

Wife watched a mother die after giving birth, doctor screaming at the family/husband to authorize blood, screaming, nobody budged. She said husband was starting to cave and a bunch of people from their group rallied in "support" and he held strong.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 01:37 PM   #49
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Smith County, Stephens County

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBear78 View Post
It amazes me how much JW miss information is on here.I was married to one for 20 years and if there is any one group that lives by Bible teaching and standards itís JWs.So many main stream churches canít get the basics right like who to even pray to or use Gods name.They want to celebrate deeply pagan customs and holidays and try to sanction it by the church and try and push nationalism as some kind of Christian belief.I have friends from all kinds of religions and there great faithful people but most canít give me scripture backing for their belief for they can only quote onerous 2.There will be multitudes resurrected from the dead but the 144,000 is a sealed number for a special purpose.Revelation speaks of a multitude of folks before the throne but it doesnít say there actually in heaven. Passing out WatchTowere wonít get you salvation but actively preaching and teaching is a part of a true Christians life.I for the life of me canít understand why there arenít more churches that donít promote this and actively and perpetually engage in the preaching work.A cult is a group that follows a man or false belief system JWs as a group study the Bible through and through every week and use it as a mirror and a magnifying glass on there beliefs and personalityís.Evey time Iíve ever been to there meetings I was surprised at the biblical basis for all there teaching and not just English wording but deep research on the Hebrew and Greek wording of the original writings.Do they have it all correct, no way but they do there best to apply and examine every scripture and rely on grace and mercy to fill in the gaps.
I don't know much about what the JW believe but here's what I do know. They used to come to my house all the time. At least once a month. I would always tell them I attend church and thanks for stopping. One day they stopped by and there were 4 of them. They asked if they could come in and discuss the Bible with me. I told them that would be awesome and specifically I'd like to talk to them about Jesus. They literally almost ran over each other trying to leave. Said they forgot they had somewhere to be. That was about 5 years ago and I haven't seen them since. They may teach the Bible cover to cover word for word but if they don't know who Jesus is they literally missed the point. Maybe you can tell me... who do they say Jesus is?
BowSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-13-2021, 01:38 PM   #50
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier

Interesting stuff.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top