It's Syrup Season in Iowa... Tapping Black Walnut and Maple Trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Syrup Season in Iowa... Tapping Black Walnut and Maple Trees

The snow is melting fast where we can walk the timber a little easier. I did step in a low spot and filled one boot with ice water yesterday.[emoji3525]

I tapped some Black Walnuts and Maples today to start collecting sap to make syrup. The Black Walnuts are flowing sap really good right now. They were dripping as soon as I pulled the drill bit out.

You can tell we are archers. I used cut carbon arrow shafts for spiles (taps). Since I am shooting Gold Tips now I cut up some Carbon Express shafts for syrup taps.[emoji1]

I found one shed while tapping trees. My wife and I are going to start shed hunting pretty hard now that the snow is melting. It has been hard to hike and see sheds with the deep snow.

My food plots have had 12-15 inches of snow cover for the last two months. A few areas have melted. There are still a lot of turnips and daikon radishes in the ground. The deer are tearing them up.

Watch my syrup tree tapping video here:

Last edited by Arrowsmith; 03-01-2021, 09:29 AM.

I didn’t know you could make syrup from black walnut trees.

Comment

That is cool. That is something I have never done.

Comment

That’s pretty cool, but don’t you think you will have carbon dust particles in the syrup ?

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
          I didn’t know you could make syrup from black walnut trees.
          Very similar to Maple. A little richer, nuttier flavor. Some people like it better.

Watch here:

Comment

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
            That’s pretty cool, but don’t you think you will have carbon dust particles in the syrup ?
            Maybe.....

I washed them out real good and ran a .17 caliber bore swab thru them. It came out clean. After I cook down 40-50 gallons of sap it will be pretty well diluted if any still exists.
            Last edited by Arrowsmith; 03-01-2021, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Did not know you mage syrup out of black walnut trees either

No maples here but some black walnut around

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                Very similar to Maple. A little richer, nuttier flavor. Some people like it better.

Watch here:

https://youtu.be/2eVSqhDHgZI
                Too cool. I’m raising several black walnuts but it’s going to be along time before they could be tapped.

Comment

I saw your vid this morning before I saw this thread. Tapping a black walnut for syrup was a new wrinkle in my horn for sure. It would be nice to see you document the syrup making process through video.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    I saw your vid this morning before I saw this thread. Tapping a black walnut for syrup was a new wrinkle in my horn for sure. It would be nice to see you document the syrup making process through video.
                    I am going to try. I didn't get much sap as of yesterday. My "arrow taps" are too small ID diameter. I ordered a Syrup tapping kit off Amazon but it will be a few days before it gets here. I am going to Menards this afternoon to get some temporary tapping supplies. I got more sap running down the tree than going into the jugs.

Comment

Yeah, put me in the “shocked you can make syrup from black walnut” category too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by jay07ag View Post
                        Yeah, put me in the “shocked you can make syrup from black walnut” category too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I went to Menards and bought some 3/8" hose barb couplings and some 3/8" clear tubing. The sap flow increases and sap leakage stopped. I am hoping for some containers tomorrow.

It's a time consuming process....but hey....I am retired and I got lots of big tapable (need to be 10 inches in diameter) Black Walnut trees.

Watch this video:

https://youtu.be/2eVSqhDHgZI

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’d like to try to sugar some sycamore down here in Tx

Comment

Working...
                          X