MLD Tags For Small Acreage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MLD Tags For Small Acreage?

I have a 100 acre lease that is absolutely over ran with deer, specifically does. I used up my doe tags already on this place during early bow season. Is there an MLD program that allows deer tags for small acreage places like this?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Let friends or family shoot them. Easy solution.

Comment

Yes. I have received MLD tags for as little as 10 acres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PoppinPiggies View Post
        Let friends or family shoot them. Easy solution.
        Yep but I need to be able to have tags after Thanksgiving (when doe season expires) so I can get on them throughout the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex View Post
          Yes. I have received MLD tags for as little as 10 acres.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          PM sent.

Comment

The Harvest Option will not work for you, but the Conservation Option may help, although it requires a management plan, prior years' survey and harvest data, and habitat management practices. Then the number of tags issued will be based on what the survey data shows. But, you must get buck tags as well as doe tags in the CO, and it would probably limit the number of bucks you would be able to shoot normally (on 100 acres, I doubt it would ever be more than 1). The advantage is that you have 5 months to shoot the tags supplied. As mentioned above, it may just be easier to find more hunters, such as youth hunters, to get rid of some does. Even in the CO, you probably won't get all that many tags under the CO.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny View Post
              Yep but I need to be able to have tags after Thanksgiving (when doe season expires) so I can get on them throughout the season.

Kids can still shoot does during the late youth season.

Comment

You’ll probably get 1-2 tags maybe, and you won’t be able to use your license tags.

Comment

Lamps was the best program for doe control. We used to get 8 tags for 563 acres. There was 4 of us so it was 2 tags each. Same as our license but we could shoot them all season. After getting rid of lamps I apllied for the new program under the harvest. It was gonna be 3 doe tags and 1 buck tag for 563 acres. No thanks!

Comment

We were on MLD III on 120 acres on a place we used to own. When we talked to the biologist about it, he was impressed with how well I had kept records on sightings and harvests. I sent him about 10,000 tc pictures also, showing the amount of deer we had in and out of the property yearly. We kept the MLD until we sold the place a few years ago. It was well worth it.

Comment

We are on mld conservation option for 140 acres. It is awesome and well worth the effort.
                      This year we were given 12 doe tags and 14 buck tags. We will probably end up taking 12 doe and 5 or 6 bucks.
                      Last edited by Sika; 12-10-2020, 10:49 AM.

Comment

You will usually only get 1 tag per 50 acres using the programs. Better to use other hunters to help you using their license tags if you need numbers removed. Depending what county your in there should be plenty of opportunities if you are over run with deer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

No way the harvest option would work. You would probably only get 4 tags. If you go mld you can’t use your own hunting tags. I seriously doubt the conservation option will give you the amount of tags you want either. Only good thing is you can hunt them into February, but you won’t get many tags. Better to kill as many as you can early.

Comment

We have several places smaller then that all on MLD tags. The biologist will assign you likely 2-3 tags. You cannot use your license tags.

Your best bet is to NOT apply for MLD tags and use your 2 license tags per person during the 4 doe day season and whack as many as you can see.

Comment

FYI, Johnny, we went that route because we were already doing deer census and harvest data for the county for our wildlife tax exemption.
                              I talked to our local biologist about going mld for the extended season, increased tags, and because we don’t think guests should have to use to their own tags when hunting on our property. A lot of people have their own land or deer lease and we just feel better inviting them to hunt with us without having to burn their tags on our place.
                              Also, and this is important, if you’re on mld and doing surveys, you know your deer density and herd comp and can receive an accurate harvest recommendation based on the survey instead of going off a gut feeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X