No announcement yet.

Auto gate openers ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One addition that I added to my Apollo was an extended range wireless remote opener receiver. Our gate is 2650 feet(1/2 mile) line of site from the house and I wanted to be able to open the gate for guests when they arrived. Its on the ragged edge of the manufactures distance specs but it works. Before you ask.....no I did not want to trench and run wire 3200 feet of wire for this purpose.

Comment

I don't think that Apollo is a good option.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeWalts View Post
        I don't think that Apollo is a good option.
        Danged post is 2 years old, I bet strummer has it figured out by now ? Anyway mine opens into the property and has a bell that buzz’s when someone comes in @ night

Comment

I'll be looking at Apollo, Ghost, or US Automatic when my GTO fails again.

The Producers Co-op has Apollo and Ghost and they seem to recommend the Ghost. They said they've had a lot of people comment on how they like them.

Comment

I like my mighty mule. If something goes wrong they are cheap enough to junk it and buy another one.

Comment

What do yall do for deliveries when youre not home?

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
                Let me suggest the Patriot by US Automatic. Made in Texas. I just installed one on my gate, replacing an Apollo 1550. Packaged very nicely, and excellent customer support.

The Apollo was always giving me problems. I changed the board twice. I was happy when it took a swim during Harvey. I had always heard that Apollo was the best, but after owning one I would advise against it. I know now that they sold out, and are no longer made in Texas......probably China. I would imagine the older models were legit, but the newer "Nice-Apollo" is not the same. They are just riding on the Apollo name.

The US Automatic was super easy to install. The instructions where thorough, and covered almost every detail & connection step by step. The Apollo installation manual was vague, and caused me to have to call them several times to get it operating correctly.

The US Automatic open pretty quickly too. You don't have to wait long like you do with a mighty mule. My brother has one, and those things are slower than molasses.

My Patriot is run off solar, and set up with entry & exit keypads. The entry keypad is wired to the board, and the exit is wireless.

I bought everything from Gatecrafters.com. Pretty good customer support, and if you call them they will help you get setup with exactly what you need.
                Here is how I set mine up:
                Patriot w/solar: https://www.usautomatic.com/solar-gate-opener-patriot
                Wireless Keypad: https://www.usautomatic.com/solar-ga...s-keypad-metal
                Wired low draw keypad (recommended for a solar setup): http://www.gatecrafters.com/product_detail_34644.aspx
                wired keypad installation manual: https://docs.usautomatic.com/pro/how...to_english.pdf

I would install the gate to swing in. It will take up less of your entryway, and you wont have to worry about it opening onto someones vehicle that pulls up too close.
                I just installed the Patriot and if it wouldn’t be such a pain I would send it back! I went this route to steer clear of the apollo because all of the negatives I had heard about them. The Patriot has a small diameter shaft and has a lot of flex in it ( my gate is 590#), also where it pins on both ends there is slop in there ( yes even with the provided sleeves installed which adds even more slop! I’m going to have better brackets made with machined , very close tolerance pins. If I had to do it over again it would be something different- I think I may get my chance in a few years. Yes, my soft close settings are set correctly! Thinking about it I may go ahead and take it apart and send it back.

Comment

Originally posted by DedDuk View Post
                  What do yall do for deliveries when youre not home?
                  We gave UPS and FedEx the gate code and they still leave the packages out on the road. Sorry pieces of spit.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                    If it swings outward then the opener will have to be on the out side of the gate where people can mess with it. It needs to swing inward so the opener is on the inside of the gate.

I run a ghost opener that opens out and the opener is inside so I’m not sure why you say that. It has a switch for push to open or pull to open.

OP I have a ghost controls zombie lock that I bought and didn’t end up using I’d make you a good deal on if you need it.

Comment

US automatic is what I put in and we love it.

Comment

Apollo

Comment

"Nubbins" reserect these old threads with links makes me think spammers

Have an old Apollo, new NICE ones are crap

Going with Ghost in the near future for another property

Comment

Old thread but my Ghost Controls is working well so far.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                              Old thread but my Ghost Controls is working well so far.

So is mine. Very user friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                                "Nubbins" reserect these old threads with links makes me think spammers

Yeah! What is up with that?? There's a BUNCH of them! In fact most of the time I check the first post's date before I read or respond. Obviously I missed this one.

Comment

Working...
                                X