Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does everyone need a magnum caliber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m the 1930’s my dad killed deer with his .22 bolt action.

Comment

Ive killed deer with somewhere around 20 different calibers over the years but my all time favorite would probably be 30-378 with a 22 Hornet being the smallest and a 50 being the biggest on a whitetail and I always seem to enjoy the various reactions from the deer when they get hit with a certain type of round. As to why some of us shoot guns most would consider to big for a certain species then I’d have to simply say because we can and I do so without a care in the world of what anyone else things about it

Comment

Ya guys Know they actually kill animals with ARROWS!!!!!!!!

Comment

Ya know there are people who hunt more than whitetails. And also shoot further than 100 yards lol.

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
            I do. But what you have to understand is that it's not the arrow but the Indian behind it.

Put nearly any bullet from any caliber in the right place and it will work. If you can't blame it on the caliber. Buy a magnum. Gut shoot another one. Blame the bullet. It blew up on the hide. Buy a premium bullet. Again blame the bullet. It penciled right thru. Make all the excuses you want but blame it on the poor shooting skills of the guy looking back at you in the mirror.

Comment

Knew it was coming…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

And a whole bunch of em wound the crap out of stuff regularly. What’s your point? Lol

Comment

lets see, i have killed deer and/or hogs with
                  30-30.
                  35 rem,
                  7mm08,
                  30-06,
                  44 mag,
                  10mm,
                  45 acp,
                  357 mag,
                  .40s&w
                  444 marlin,
                  45-70,
                  458 socom
                  32 win special, and probably a couple others i cant recall right now,

used maybe 15 different bows also,,

i guess i missed the magnum mania

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                    Could it be that a lot of south Texas hunters use a 7mag now the 6.5 creed more is really popular? I think the 7 mag was the most popular round 20-30 years ago.

Just a thought
                    I bet that's some of it. I'm not casting judgement as I really couldn't care less. I am surprised how many calibers that used to work so well are not in the conversation as much. They're just not broken.

My 15 year old daughter slammed the biggest South Texas (body-wise) buck I've ever seen with the measly .243. It weighed 240lbs on the hoof. A round in the shoulder and he ran about 50 yards. The ol' timey .243 worked just fine.

I've killed maybe 2 deer (1 WT, 1 Pronghorn) with a rifle in 20 years. My .257 Roberts handled both adequately. It's such a fun gun to shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                      I do. But what you have to understand is that it's not the arrow but the Indian behind it.

Put nearly any bullet from any caliber in the right place and it will work. If you can't blame it on the caliber. Buy a magnum. Gut shoot another one. Blame the bullet. It blew up on the hide. Buy a premium bullet. Again blame the bullet. It penciled right thru. Make all the excuses you want but blame it on the poor shooting skills of the guy looking back at you in the mirror.
                      Yup

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                        Could it be that a lot of south Texas hunters use a 7mag now the 6.5 creed more is really popular? I think the 7 mag was the most popular round 20-30 years ago.

Just a thought
                        Exactly. 40 years ago everyone on my Duval co leases had a 7 mag or .300
                        Now on my lease we all shoot 6.5 , 25-06 or .270.

Better ammo does help.

BP

Comment

I love my 7mm RUM and 375 H&H. But I also love my 220 Swift, 243 Win, 22 Rem and 17 Rem.
                          I take the appropriate one for the game I am pursuing. Simple as that.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Magnum is nothing more than a marketing word. Is a .22 magnum really a magnum cartridge or just another .22 cal bullet in a longer case. A 22-250 could be considered a magnum since there are a bunch of .22 cal rounds that have much smaller cases holding a lot less powder and then along comes a 220 swift and so on. Same holds true for everything up thru .50 cal. Mine is bigger than yours. So what?

Comment

inferiority complex!

Comment

I am a magnum hunter. I love having a gun that shoots distances and has some weight in it's butt when it gets there. For the past 25 years I have shot the 30-378 Weatherby and lately have been shooting the 300RUM. I just shot a mule deer last week at 430yds and it hammered him. I also own the dreaded 7mm mag. Killed lots of animals DRT with all of them. I can only remember one deer running off and that was me jerking the shot. I do have a 257 that lays the lumber as well and I occasionally tinker with it. I guess the overall thought process for me is that I spend a great amount of time, effort and money to hunt whatever animal and I want my best opportunity to put them in the freezer. They can't be too dead....

Comment

Working...
                                X