Fixed Blades are Better...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
    And in the end, just about every animal is moving by the time the arrow arrives so shot placement is not guaranteed.
    Lol. With proper setup and knowing when to shoot this eliminates the “jump string factor”. I’ve shot probably 150 animals and have had 1 doe possibly “jump the string” causing a miss.

Comment

this horse is dead after hundreds of articles failing to prove either is 'better'.
      Shot placement + practice. No one is guaranteed anything when using bows/arrows.

Comment

I wonder if the indians sat around arguing if flint or obsidian was better...

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
          Lol. With proper setup and knowing when to shoot this eliminates the “jump string factor”. I’ve shot probably 150 animals and have had 1 doe possibly “jump the string” causing a miss.
          I'm not necessarily saying jumping the string to cause a miss. I'm just saying moving, they may only get an inch of movement before the arrow gets there but more times than not they are moving.

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
            I wonder if the indians sat around arguing if flint or obsidian was better...
            I bet they did lol

Comment

Originally posted by Duckologist View Post
              I'm not necessarily saying jumping the string to cause a miss. I'm just saying moving, they may only get an inch of movement before the arrow gets there but more times than not they are moving.
              Understood. I try and shoot when they not moving (eating/drinking/looking away). Ideal is when they have no clue what hit them Moving shots are tough and require lots of practice and experience.

Comment

I’ve killed a lot of deer with mechanicals, 99% of time work perfect and leave a crazy hole. It will only take one time to ruin it all. I’m going back to fixed this season and excited. It took some very fine tuning but I have my fixed flying true to my field points out to 60 right now. Hurry up Season!
                If you guys haven’t seen this video, watch Waddell have a mechanical bounce off a Booner Buck, might help your decision on whatever you chose.
                Shot is around the 1:59 mark

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                  I’ve killed a lot of deer with mechanicals, 99% of time work perfect and leave a crazy hole. It will only take one time to ruin it all. I’m going back to fixed this season and excited. It took some very fine tuning but I have my fixed flying true to my field points out to 60 right now. Hurry up Season!
                  If you guys haven’t seen this video, watch Waddell have a mechanical bounce off a Booner Buck, might help your decision on whatever you chose.
                  Shot is around the 1:59 mark
                  https://youtu.be/w2oiQtMZJ94
                  Had a very similar experience years ago with a rage hypo. Have now switched to Grim Reaper and their tips are designed to continue penetrating and not get deflected. Heck I've seen a 7mag bullet get deflected off a deer!

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
                    Had a very similar experience years ago with a rage hypo. Have now switched to Grim Reaper and their tips are designed to continue penetrating and not get deflected. Heck I've seen a 7mag bullet get deflected off a deer!
                    I killed buck in my profile pic and about ten other bucks with Rage Hypo, all pass through amazing blood trail, like throwing an axe through a deer. Had a bad experience with Grim Reaper on the only buck I shot with one. He died within 100 yards but horrible penetration, poor blood and all blades did not open.

At the end of the day it’s all about what you’re confident in. If I can get a big cut diameter fixed head to fly Exactly the same as a mechanical it’s a no brainer for me.

Comment

I, like many others, have tried the Rage hype train out for myself, with varying results. I lost confidence in them and now shoot Grim Reaper. I love fixed blades, but I have yet to find one that leaves a good blood trail. The Hell Razor by NAP flies better than any other broadhead in my toolkit. I just wish it left a decent blood trail. The Silver flames may be worth considering.

Comment

Grim Reapers make monster holes and I've never had one fail. Having said that I only use them in windy conditions where there's not much risk of brush or grass getting in the way. Normally I'll reach for a plain old Slick Trick for the best all around head for general use. Having a tuned bow is important to be able to switch back and forth and shoot what you want for the conditions, not to mention getting the best performance out of the bow.

As for the jumping the string stuff, we primarily hunt Amistad and save for a doe I walked up on in 25+ mph sustained winds and a buck that was sound asleep I've never had a deer still in the same spot from when I shot to when the arrow arrived, those deer are insanely spooky. Over the years I've probably had 5 bucks straight up completely dodge an arrow between 12 and 35 yards. The deer at 12 was about to fight another buck and had it's head down, when I release I swear his belly hit the ground like Bambi on ice as the arrow went right over his back. I also had a broadside doe twist away from an arrow, arrow went exactly where I aimed but she rotated out and away so fast her chest wasn't there anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by skelsey View Post
                          I’d like to see proof of all those deer shot with mechanical broad heads inside

Yeah that sounds like ranch fairy sponsored propaganda lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                            Yeah that sounds like ranch fairy sponsored propaganda lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            I was wondering when someone was going to say it!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X