Acorn crop ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acorn crop ?

Is there gonna be an acorn crop this year ? Just doing a little trail and open area mowing last week and going under lots of oak trees I see no acorns. Did the artic invasion of ‘21 kill the flowers ? What say y’all ?

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
    Is there gonna be an acorn crop this year ? Just doing a little trail and open area mowing last week and going under lots of oak trees I see no acorns. Did the artic invasion of ‘21 kill the flowers ? What say y’all ?
    I don't have anything to add but anecdotal evidence from one place I see oak trees regularly.

FWIW, I don't know crap about which ones bear every year vs every other, but I saw no acorns on the trees at my office when I took a look last week.

Comment

Don't see any yet......................

Comment

None on the white oaks around my house and I normally at least have a few trees produce every year.

Comment

I have not seen any on our oak trees either.

Comment

My oaks are putting them on.

Comment

mine are still very small and green but i have a lot of them

Comment

I thought they started dropping in Sept.

Comment

In Central Texas (McLennan and Bosque counties) I have scouted multiple acorns trees and are only finding a fraction of trees with small amounts of buds as the previous few years.

I did come along a couple Shin Oaks / Hawthorn's that were loaded and already started dropping acorns. These trees were in close proximity to the edge of creek off Lake Waco and deer and squirrels had already found them.

I also ran up on a White oak along the North Bosque that had a noticeable amount of acorns hanging, but not loaded as years past.

I have yet to find a Live Oak or Red Oak that shows any sign off them.

For what all that is worth, best of luck to all.

Rwc
                  Last edited by Rwc; 08-09-2021, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Yeah we are going to have a few.
                    Okay, a lot.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven't really paid attention. I will be in Georgetown doing some work this week so I will check them out.

Comment

Hoping for a big crop.

Comment

We have a bumper crop in Menard county.

Comment

My trees in Rockport are loaded, my trees in Freeport have some and I'll find out Labor day weekend about the trees at Toledo Bend, the most important place in this regard.

Comment

A few weeks ago, I noticed acorns on one of our post oaks. I have not gone out looking for acorns. We have a post oak right next to our back deck. I have never noticed acorns on it in the past, but a few weeks ago, it was covered with small acorns.

I have been planning on walking out property soon. To check on hickory nuts. Last year we did not get many hickory nuts. I have been hoping this year we would.

Last year we also did not get many dewberries. We had a lot more this spring. I got to suspecting I may have washed the pollen off of the dewberries last year, I watered our best patch of dew berries, every few days with a spray nozzle on the water hose, then we hardly got any dewberries from those plants. I suspected I washed the pollen off of them. This year, I did not water the dewberries at all, we got a lot more berries from most of our dewberry patches.
                              I suspect that could happen naturally if there are heavy rains, when the trees are blooming. But just a guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X