Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How are axis handling the cold in uvalde/Brackettville area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are axis handling the cold in uvalde/Brackettville area?

A lot more important things going on and to worry about than deer for sure but looking to think about something else besides no power and frozen pipes.

I know the hill country axis and blackbuck are getting hammered by the cold but curious if anyone around bracketville have seen or heard of any massive die offs yet. We were just about to get on a little place in the area primarily for axis. Curious what this is doing to the herd there.

Our Axis in Mountain Home seem to be ok according to our land owner today. Won’t know about die off until we get there on Friday. I am prepared to do some skinning & processing.

Comment

Hope not, some seem to have done well others not so much

Comment

I hope to get to F'Berg area Sunday as I am thinking 290 is still icy with these serious nightime lows.

Comment

Following as I’m curious and unable to make it out there. We hunt between Brackettville and Campwood.

Comment

Have in friend in Mission Valley and they have lost 5 of their axis so far

Comment

I’m hoping they are just laying low around my house. Went from having several a night to only one or two now. Time wil tell

Comment

We are getting off of a place in Bracketville. We don't have to worry one bit about the cold and ice killing axis or whitetail. Anthrax took care of them for us. Now we don't have to worry about those pesky deer at the feeders. Pigs now rule. Nothing can kill them. I saw one bore with a tat on his bicep that said "I heart anthrax."

If anyone says Dooley Ranch - R U N N.

Comment

I heard someone in Coleman co lost 200 axis

Comment

I know in the Fberg area the BB were getting hammered. I have heard some reports that axis were doing ok and others that weren’t. Just not sure how much colder it got 1-2 hrs further south.

Comment

We lost a few axis and at least one bb south of Bracketville

Comment

We lost a few blackbuck and axis in Rocksprings. Mixed age groups on the blackbuck but the axis we lost seem to be older.

Comment

As of Tuesday when I was in Rocksprings I had lost 2 Blackbuck and close to a dozen Axis. I put out tons of Cottonseed, corn, Alfalfa, and a round bale of hay. I piled hay on south side of a cabin where they were getting out of the wind.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
                            I hope to get to F'Berg area Sunday as I am thinking 290 is still icy with these serious nightime lows.
                            Come on. Roads are clear.

Comment

The axis deer were fine in Leakey last Thursday through Sunday morning. My group shot 8 doe. Cold didn't seem to bother them in the least but they sure were eating up the alfalfa.

Called my buddy in Leakey and he said that they saw a hundred or more this morning on various properties. Only dead ones he saw were on the highways.

Comment

Working...
                              X